Android phones for end of 2010

nanllyn

Nov 10, 2009
Visit site
Does anyone know if there will be more Android phones coming later this year. I know about the Droid 2 which just doesn't fit what I want but sure it's a nice phone. I'm leaning towards the Droid X. But I have heard that later this year there may be other Android based phones that will be even nicer than the Droid X but everything anyone saying is speculation and not much info. I know that is how Verizon (or any carrier) does. They don't want to leak future phones until it is almost release time.
So just wanting to know if anyone knows of anything they think might be better than the Droid X.
Thanks for your thoughts and opinions in advance.
Nancy

ceriem

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone know if there will be more Android phones coming later this year. I know about the Droid 2 which just doesn't fit what I want but sure it's a nice phone. I'm leaning towards the Droid X. But I have heard that later this year there may be other Android based phones that will be even nicer than the Droid X but everything anyone saying is speculation and not much info. I know that is how Verizon (or any carrier) does. They don't want to leak future phones until it is almost release time.
So just wanting to know if anyone knows of anything they think might be better than the Droid X.
Thanks for your thoughts and opinions in advance.
Nancy

Who knows really? Droid 2 is pretty definite, but HTC could have something else. LG's Optimus hasn't been given a release date yet, so it could be coming out in time for the holiday. Also Acer could pull out a decent phone... maybe. And there's always Sony too.

We're no even 2/3 done with the year yet. Loook how long it took for leak-->announcement-->release date for the X. A huge phone can still come out this year and we'd have no idea unless someone leaked it.

largeselection

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
There was an announcement by the CEO of motorola that they are hoping to release a 2.0 ghz android phine before the end of 2010. IMO it might be better and it might not, there are many things that determine phone greatness not just face melting processor speeds. So I'm going to get a DX and if another phone is announced in 6 months...well I'll already be halfway through to my annual upgrade :) (or I'll pay full price ouch)

Motorola Launching 2GHz Android Phone in 2010? - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

Brett

Retired Moderator
Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
There was an announcement by the CEO of motorola that they are hoping to release a 2.0 ghz android phine before the end of 2010. IMO it might be better and it might not, there are many things that determine phone greatness not just face melting processor speeds. So I'm going to get a DX and if another phone is announced in 6 months...well I'll already be halfway through to my annual upgrade :) (or I'll pay full price ouch)

Motorola Launching 2GHz Android Phone in 2010? - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

yup that will be my future device. as long as the boot loader isn't locked. this will be the new verizon flag ship, no doubt about it. rumor has it, 4.3 inch screen with a slide out qwerty keyboard. can't beat that. if it is the same thickness as the droid then im sold

MikeBinOK

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
There will surely be better stuff coming along if you wait. That's always the way it is with smart phones for now, and for the foreseeable future. Of course, if you wait till the better stuff comes along, there will be something better yet on the horizon, or maybe announced!

My advice is to look at what is available now, and what is announced and definite. If what is available now is a meaningful step up over what you have, and what is announced and definite doesn't substantially improve what's available now, I'd get something now so that you can start enjoying it and benefitting from it. This will also start the calendar counting towards your next subsidized upgrade that much faster!

If something is announced and definite that you are positive has a feature that will really make a significant difference to you, it may be worthwhile to wait for that. But I sure wouldn't wait too long. Such detailed announcements are seldom made even two months in advance.

Finally, remember that there is always something better coming, no matter what you buy. It is OKAY when that happens. You don't always have to have the latest and newest phone, your phone does not stop working when a slightly better phone is released.

Last bit of Dutch Uncle advice: If you do insist on buying a bleeding edge phone (and I refuse to buy anything else!), realize you are letting yourself in for dealing with minor glitches and bugs, and (if you're lucky) frequent updates, or if you are unlucky, dealing with unfixed glitches for awhile!

If the Droid X does some cool things that you want, I'd go out and get one!

dwe28

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
yup that will be my future device. as long as the boot loader isn't locked. this will be the new verizon flag ship, no doubt about it. rumor has it, 4.3 inch screen with a slide out qwerty keyboard. can't beat that. if it is the same thickness as the droid then im sold
+1

Just waiting on some official specs, pics, and other info. Hope it lives up to the hype. Only bad thing is my annual upgrade is in January but maybe Verizon can push it up a month or two.

There will surely be better stuff coming along if you wait. That's always the way it is with smart phones for now, and for the foreseeable future. Of course, if you wait till the better stuff comes along, there will be something better yet on the horizon, or maybe announced!

My advice is to look at what is available now, and what is announced and definite. If what is available now is a meaningful step up over what you have, and what is announced and definite doesn't substantially improve what's available now, I'd get something now so that you can start enjoying it and benefitting from it. This will also start the calendar counting towards your next subsidized upgrade that much faster!

If something is announced and definite that you are positive has a feature that will really make a significant difference to you, it may be worthwhile to wait for that. But I sure wouldn't wait too long. Such detailed announcements are seldom made even two months in advance.

Finally, remember that there is always something better coming, no matter what you buy. It is OKAY when that happens. You don't always have to have the latest and newest phone, your phone does not stop working when a slightly better phone is released.

Last bit of Dutch Uncle advice: If you do insist on buying a bleeding edge phone (and I refuse to buy anything else!), realize you are letting yourself in for dealing with minor glitches and bugs, and (if you're lucky) frequent updates, or if you are unlucky, dealing with unfixed glitches for awhile!

If the Droid X does some cool things that you want, I'd go out and get one!
The Droid X looks like an awesome device but compared to an overclocked Droid running 2.2, it's not much of an upgrade IMO. It's just another 1GHz phone to me. I know a lot of people want that larger screen and added memory but those alone aren't worth switching from my Droid, especially when I haven't even used half of its RAM.

This rumored device will be the first 2GHz phone so that's a big change. The only thing I'm concerned about is the battery life but maybe they'll throw in a powerful mah battery.

MikeBinOK

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
+1

The Droid X looks like an awesome device but compared to an overclocked Droid running 2.2, it's not much of an upgrade IMO. It's just another 1GHz phone to me. I know a lot of people want that larger screen and added memory but those alone aren't worth switching from my Droid, especially when I haven't even used half of its RAM.

This rumored device will be the first 2GHz phone so that's a big change. The only thing I'm concerned about is the battery life but maybe they'll throw in a powerful mah battery.

Key info is what the OP is running now, which (unless I missed it) wasn't provided. If she has a Droid, and doesn't care about the big screen, you are probably right. If she's running a Blackberry or old WinMobile phone, moving to Droid X would be a great thing! :eek:

dwe28

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Key info is what the OP is running now, which (unless I missed it) wasn't provided. If she has a Droid, and doesn't care about the big screen, you are probably right. If she's running a Blackberry or old iPhone, moving to Droid X would be a great thing! :eek:

Exactly!;)

SeeK

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Qualcomm's been working on a dual-core solution for a while now, which would allow incredible speed and multi-tasking capabilities while still keeping the clock speeds down. In this modern day and age, two slower cores are always better than a single fast one, I'd say. :)

I keep thinking the biggest issue these days are the batteries, though. We need some serious improvement in that department. >_>

Jgallamore

Mar 13, 2010
Visit site
I'm curious about this as well, I'm up for renewal in December and can't wait to get rid of this BB Storm. But I'm hoping all new phones don't keep getting these monstrous screens. Takes up too much pocket real estate IMO. But an upgraded Incredible-ish phone, would be great by December.

coolqf

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Qualcomm's been working on a dual-core solution for a while now, which would allow incredible speed and multi-tasking capabilities while still keeping the clock speeds down. In this modern day and age, two slower cores are always better than a single fast one, I'd say. :)

I keep thinking the biggest issue these days are the batteries, though. We need some serious improvement in that department. >_>

The OS needs to be able to recognize the dual core before it can take advantage of it. If not, one core is always idle.

n8mack33

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
why hasnt anyone said the galaxy s for verizon yet we already know that one is coming and we know its gonna be sick. so if you want a phone in the near future thats not motorla then theres always the galaxy s

True, although the Epic 4G seems a little more interesting to me of the Galaxy S bunch. I'm just annoyed about the $10 premium charge or I'd be very tempted to switch to Sprint. As it now stands I'll probably jump on the X but my wife will have to stick with her dumbphone becuase the cost of data plans is just too crazy. It would have been kinda cool to have front facing camera but not a dealbreaker. I'm for sure only getting a 1 year contract though.

matrix2004

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
HTC Beast coming end of the year. Beast is just what someone called it, its not the testing name or the real name. This is what i'm waiting for or the Moto Droid Pro.

anon(40376)

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Bigger than the DX? I wonder in what dimension, width, height or length? The DX that I tried out last week at a Verizon store, just fit on my belt, and that was without a case. Only so much real estate on the left belt, between the loops, before the phone starts banging up against my double mag case.:)

cr3amy

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
True, although the Epic 4G seems a little more interesting to me of the Galaxy S bunch. I'm just annoyed about the $10 premium charge or I'd be very tempted to switch to Sprint. As it now stands I'll probably jump on the X but my wife will have to stick with her dumbphone becuase the cost of data plans is just too crazy. It would have been kinda cool to have front facing camera but not a dealbreaker. I'm for sure only getting a 1 year contract though.

The $10 premium charge is annoying so you're going to with Verizon, which is usually $20 to $30 more than the equivalent plan with Sprint?