Fast, cheap 7-inch tablet for rooting ?

nmb

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Dear hive mind,

I am currently a Nexus 4 user, but I have a dramatic need to simplify my life (job loss). I am thinking about going back to a flip phone for calls, but I'd like a cheap wifi-only tablet for Web and email and a few apps. I am comfortable rooting and romming and I am a sucker for the AOSP experience (I had a Nexus S before this). Can anyone suggest a basic sub-200 dollar tablet that I can put a rom on and be content with? This is NOT about the hawtness, but about low cost and basic function.

I've considered the Nexus 7 ($200) and the Kindle Fire ($150) but mostly I want to know if there are other contenders in that range that I am not aware of. Are there year-old used models that might be perfectly adequate? Something from Samsung, Toshiba, Asus that was good on the low end?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Definitely the Nexus 7. Being a Nexus device, it's definitely the easiest and best for rooting (it'll also have the best dev support). It's also the fastest of the 7-inch tablets by far.

One thing to note, however, is that Google I/O is coming up in less than a month, and it's very likely that a Nexus 7 2 (some sort of successor to the N7) will be released that will be faster and the same price. So I would recommend waiting for that and either buying the N7 2 or buying the N7 after the announcement since it'll be cheaper.

nickndfl

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
The 7. Trying to save literally $50 or less by going to an inferior product is not wise. You may be able to buy the current generation N7 for less when the new model comes out.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38