Help me chose tablet

T_MB

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
I am in the market for my first tablet. I have a smartphone issued to me by work, but only use it for e-mails and GPS navigation. I am very confused with all the tablet options and need help. Basically, I am looking for a productivity enhancer at work, as it is not feasible to lug around and boot up a big laptop all of the time. Secondary use would be for web browsing, photo editing, e-reader, and watching the occasional movie while on vacation. I don't play any games, don't have a netflix account, and aside from having i-tunes and a nook account, I don't use a whole lot of online consumption services.

Here are my requirements
Must Have's
1. Can sync (read and push) to my work exchange calendar and e-mail account.
2. Allows me to read word docs and PDFs
3. Allows me to take notes during meetings, quickly save to pdf (or other format), then send
4. portable. Have to be able to carry it in a briefcase.
5. Allows me to download photos directly from my DSLR or regular sd card (ok with having to purchase adaptor)
6. camera to skype
7. Price: prefer not to pay over $500, but will if necessary
8. Durable

Also would be nices
1. GPS
2. External storage (I cannot use cloud-based services for work due to security reasons)

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
I am in the market for my first tablet. I have a smartphone issued to me by work, but only use it for e-mails and GPS navigation. I am very confused with all the tablet options and need help. Basically, I am looking for a productivity enhancer at work, as it is not feasible to lug around and boot up a big laptop all of the time. Secondary use would be for web browsing, photo editing, e-reader, and watching the occasional movie while on vacation. I don't play any games, don't have a netflix account, and aside from having i-tunes and a nook account, I don't use a whole lot of online consumption services.

Here are my requirements
Must Have's
3. Allows me to take notes during meetings, quickly save to pdf (or other format), then send
5. Allows me to download photos directly from my DSLR or regular sd card (ok with having to purchase adaptor)
6. camera to skype
8. Durable

Also would be nices
1. GPS
2. External storage (I cannot use cloud-based services for work due to security reasons)

Note 8, but a couple things.

To get the best benefits of Exchange you may need to buy a 3rd party app. Exchange support on Android in general is not that great.

Not sure on number 5.

GPS will come if you get a cellular version of the tablet which isn't available yet.

Here is AC's review.

Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 review | Android Central

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Here are my requirements
Must Have's
6. camera to skype
8. Durable

Also would be nices
1. GPS

Welcome to the forums!
The Tab 3 series should be coming out soon if you can wait, if not the Tab 2 series or the Note 10.1 (Over $500, but I don't think by much), all Samsung.

I think the best thing for you to look at is this is like buying a new smartphone, only bigger. You would want a decent amount of internal memory 8+ GB (about 4 GB will be used for OS no matter how large the internal memory is), and a high amount of RAM.
Since the tablet will be used for work, I think 8 GB will be more than sufficient, as productivity apps are rarely large. Kingsoft office would be my suggestion to start. It is compatible with MS formats.
Also, don't forget that if you do go with a Nexus, you can transfer files if you hook up the data cable to a work PC, to help clear up storage space.

T_MB

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies. Question on the Note 8: I am really attracted to this device because of the S-pen. However, I thought it came with a GPS unit in the wifi version....at least the specs say so, as well as a "on the road" review I watched. Am I wrong.

Welcome to the forums!
I think the best thing for you to look at is this is like buying a new smartphone, only bigger. .

I am a luddite. I still use a 6 yr old flip phone for my personal calls. My smart phone was issued to me by my employer. All I have done with it so far is check e-mails, use the GPS feature, and some limited web browsing.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies. Question on the Note 8: I am really attracted to this device because of the S-pen. However, I thought it came with a GPS unit in the wifi version....at least the specs say so, as well as a "on the road" review I watched. Am I wrong.

I am a luddite. I still use a 6 yr old flip phone for my personal calls. My smart phone was issued to me by my employer. All I have done with it so far is check e-mails, use the GPS feature, and some limited web browsing.

Ok. You want to compare shopping for a computer when shopping for a smartphone/tablet. Everything still applies. I personally don't know about the GPS on a Note8, but I wouod have thought that it would have it.
Sent from a M.O.A.R. Galaxy S3

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site

It does have a gps, but it won't load point of interest information etc without an internet connection. You can use offline maps though with it. I just hate recommending a GPS without an active connection, but it may work good enough for your needs.