Anon8154066

Oct 19, 2013
Visit site
OK so I have both the Nexus 5 and Note 3 and I really like the latter for many many reasons. That said I have been using the former for around a week now and find myself attached to it. I know I will alternate and go back to using the Note 3. But just shows that for me and in my opinion the Nexus 5 is a brilliant phone.

Posted via Android Central App

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
OK so I have both the Nexus 5 and Note 3 and I really like the latter for many many reasons. That said I have been using the former for around a week now and find myself attached to it. I know I will alternate and go back to using the Note 3. But just shows that for me and in my opinion the Nexus 5 is a brilliant phone.

Stock Android will always win out as well IMO, no matter how good the specs of the other phone are :p

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I have personally grown tired of TW, and the mainly useless additions to the OS. While innovative, all those features and deep hooks into the ROM, contribute heavily to TW being a memory hog.
Upon learning that TW was sucking up almost 8 GB of internal memory, I began looking elsewhere for devices. Shifting to the Moto X and Nexus 5 was easy due to the past several months of use on my S3 was with an AOSP ROM anyway.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Anon8154066

Oct 19, 2013
Visit site
I would of previously argued that point but I now own the Nexus 5 and even with the Note 3 you can see that the latter has more of a zip to it.

The note 3 is an incredible phone and have rooted and flashed a custom ROM X-Note which is fantastic.

But it can't be argued stock android is a lot better than heavily loaded crap that is not useful or needed.

I like Samsung and hope that lessons will be learned and they will be less heavy with the features they include.

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
N5 is a great device! However the HTC One keeps me coming back! Still my daily driver. Don't get me wrong I love the N5 and all but the HTC One and its boom speakers are just badass! Even though I don't use them that aften. But HTC did it right in my mind!

Geodude074

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
I have personally grown tired of TW, and the mainly useless additions to the OS. While innovative, all those features and deep hooks into the ROM, contribute heavily to TW being a memory hog.
Upon learning that TW was sucking up almost 8 GB of internal memory, I began looking elsewhere for devices. Shifting to the Moto X and Nexus 5 was easy due to the past several months of use on my S3 was with an AOSP ROM anyway.

So let me get this straight. Android allows you to install any ROM that you want. Since the Note 3 came with a ROM you didn't like, instead of just installing a ROM that you do like, you decided to look elsewhere for a phone with a ROM already installed that you like?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
So let me get this straight. Android allows you to install any ROM that you want. Since the Note 3 came with a ROM you didn't like, instead of just installing a ROM that you do like, you decided to look elsewhere for a phone with a ROM already installed that you like?

No, when it came time for me to upgrade, I chose to use my wallet as my voice. I had already known the mass amount of internal memory required by Samsung's OS, and the issues with Knox.

Edit: I never owned a Note3, I owned an S3.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I agree on the speaking with your wallet comment... 1 person may not make a difference but when added up globally it can send a message that we don't agree with your product anymore.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
I would of previously argued that point but I now own the Nexus 5 and even with the Note 3 you can see that the latter has more of a zip to it.
The Note 3 does have better specs, which probably compensates for touchwiz. On similar specced phones, the touchwiz one will always be worse IMO.

I don't single out touchwiz though....Sense and Motoblur were just as bad. LG's was probably the worst. Getting rid of their skin on my Transformer tablet was like buying a new tablet. The speed difference was night and day.

I like Samsung and hope that lessons will be learned and they will be less heavy with the features they include.
Lessons were not learned. If the rumors are true, their skin is going to get even worse.

Samsung May Revamp UI For Galaxy S 5 [Rumor] | WebProNews

That UI is just hideous.

The main thing I hate about Samsung phones now is that stupid hardware home button. It is really awkward to use that after having used software buttons now. It feels a lot slower.

Anon8154066

Oct 19, 2013
Visit site
Well I agree the note 3 does compensate with the specs for touchwiz. That said I have owned the S3,S4,Mega and now have the Note 3 & Nexus 5.

In my experience I have never had any heavy lag that has caused any major frustration. But after experiencing stock on the Nexus 5 I do now get why people say vanilla is best and it is by a big margin.

So now I see touchwiz and agree that it needs sorting. And yes I am not keen on the direction of the S5's skin either.

Lessons are not being learned and they really should be.

Geodude074

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
Touchwiz is just software, which can be easily removed. If you don't like Touchwiz, just flash a custom ROM that's close to stock.

Hardware on the other hand cannot be remedied.

The nice thing about Samsung phones is that they have a crap-ton of hardware features not found on most other phones like a removable battery, micro SD card slot, IR blaster, Air gestures, stylus, etc.

If money was no object, I would have a Note 3 over my Nexus 5. But since the Note 3 is $650 off-contract, I looked elsewhere.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Touchwiz is just software, which can be easily removed. If you don't like Touchwiz, just flash a custom ROM that's close to stock.

Hardware on the other hand cannot be remedied.

The nice thing about Samsung phones is that they have a crap-ton of hardware features not found on most other phones like a removable battery, micro SD card slot, IR blaster, Air gestures, stylus, etc.

If money was no object, I would have a Note 3 over my Nexus 5. But since the Note 3 is $650 off-contract, I looked elsewhere.

Up until very recently the first part of your comment was true, now with Knox being in the bootloader, Sammy is locking down their phones. It's better to get what you want out of the box anyway, as opposed to having to fix their mess

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
In my experience I have never had any heavy lag that has caused any major frustration.
It is the kind of thing you often will not notice at first. When I bought my HTC Rezound it felt very snappy to me. Fast forward 9 months after installing apps and adding customizations and it was suddenly a lot more sluggish.

I have since installed a vanilla KitKat ROM...like magic it is fast again. Even with the same customizations and apps. Sense was like an anchor.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Flashing ROMs is not as trivial a process as a lot of tech nerds like to think. I would consider myself an advanced user, and installing a ROM on my HTC Rezound and Asus Transformer was a pain. It is a lot more involved than jailbreaking an iPhone.

Nevermind that the ROMs themselves often have bugs associated with them. It's not just a matter of slapping vanilla android on a device...the ROM makers have to make sure all the components can talk to the OS as well. So often you see that bluetooth or the camera or whatever doesn't work until they mess with it.

Anon8154066

Oct 19, 2013
Visit site
Flashing ROMs is not as trivial a process as a lot of tech nerds like to think. I would consider myself an advanced user, and installing a ROM on my HTC Rezound and Asus Transformer was a pain. It is a lot more involved than jailbreaking an iPhone.

Nevermind that the ROMs themselves often have bugs associated with them. It's not just a matter of slapping vanilla android on a device...the ROM makers have to make sure all the components can talk to the OS as well. So often you see that bluetooth or the camera or whatever doesn't work until they mess with it.

Very true I have a bit if knowledge but even then flashing ROMs can be tricky. the novice user may struggle and brick their phone. Then there is as Jeff said little bugs and niggles that need ironed out with custom roms often done quickly but more flashing involved

The point being that there is no reason Samsung can't focus less on gimmicks that are a 5min interest and concentrate on what will provide a better more functional experience.