Planning for the End of Google Voice?

StLouisMan2

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
I am usually "late to the party", so I wasn't surprised to learn just today that Google announced the end of Google Voice back in October. OK, it's not really the end of Google Voice; it's just the end of Google's allowing 3rd party apps like Talk-a-tone to join with Google Voice to give us free calling and texting across the United States and Canada.

I've come to enjoy the free phone and text and will be sad to see it go. Does anyone else use it? Do you have any plans for free service after 15 May 2014? There's been some talk that Google Voice may join with Hangouts to provide free phone service there somehow. Does anyone have an update?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I am usually "late to the party", so I wasn't surprised to learn just today that Google announced the end of Google Voice back in October. OK, it's not really the end of Google Voice; it's just the end of Google's allowing 3rd party apps like Talk-a-tone to join with Google Voice to give us free calling and texting across the United States and Canada.

I've come to enjoy the free phone and text and will be sad to see it go. Does anyone else use it? Do you have any plans for free service after 15 May 2014? There's been some talk that Google Voice may join with Hangouts to provide free phone service there somehow. Does anyone have an update?

Personally, I am going to wait and see what Google has planned for that day.

ljxdaly

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
if forced me to move over to republic wireless. for 10 bucks a month, i have unlimited calls and texts, and i'm not tied to wifi.

i do think, though, that google voice will not be going away. i just think that google intends to make it its own, probably in hangouts, though i can't stand hangouts.

StLouisMan2

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
i do think, though, that google voice will not be going away. i just think that google intends to make it its own, probably in hangouts, though i can't stand hangouts.

Yes. I don't think Google Voice is going anywhere either. For right now, I can afford to wait and see what happens in the end. I am hoping it doesn't get connected with Hangouts. No one I know uses Hangouts which gives me little opportunity to get comfortable with them.

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
I don't think we will see the "end" of GV but it will be used as an addon service with Gmail in some way is my guess.

StLouisMan2

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
used as an addon service with Gmail in some way is my guess.

I'm sorry I'm not super techie, but I read in another Thread that someone is ALREADY doing this. If it isn't too much trouble, can you explain how this works (might work)? I'll see whether I can't find that reference Thread.

Tom Westrick

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
Keep in mind, support for third party apps is dropping right around the time of Google I/O. I'm betting we'll see the "new" version then (I'm also betting it's being rolled into Hangouts).

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87