Lenovo's sales, Motorola's might the key for the future of both, earnings report reveals

happasaiyan

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
Re: Lenovo Shaking Up things Up Over at Motorola!

Not in the least. These phones tick (almost) all the boxes for me. I need to support them and hope others do so they can succeed and keep making phones I like.

Worst-case, I'll have to go back to the Nexus line.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

The 2015? No. That devices is already done and has little to no Lenovo influence on it. The 2016 and beyond? We'll have to see what they do.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

Well, one of the things that regressed lately is speed up updates... while this shouldn't affect the 2015 Motos, it might impact how quickly those 2015 Motos get updated. They will all, presumably, be shipping with 5.1.1. But with them gutting the Motorola's software people, how soon will we get M?

YankInDaSouth

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site

I share the same sentiments as you guys ... the only concern I have in regards to the 2015 X is this part of the article:
"Other important cuts revealed to Phandroid are the software and services team, the folks who are largely responsible for all the Moto-bred features we love today. Moto Voice. Moto Display. Moto Assist. Etc — the people responsible for those are gone, and will be replaced by Lenovo engineers."​

I know it won't affect what's already in the 2015 X, just curious how it will affect future updates of these awesome apps! Hey, who knows, maybe some fresh brains on the case may improve upon them! I am willing to find out :)

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site

Lenovo is doubling down on it's bet that Motorola will be it's cell phone success (by eliminating their own mobile team). I think it sucks 500 people lost their jobs but it's good that Lenovo has resources and motivation to keep moto going. Whether fast updates and the US market are where it will focus is yet to be determined.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

Whether fast updates and the US market are where it will focus is yet to be determined.

We have to assume that they're aware of just how updates are expected after their success with KK and the beginning of the L rollout.

slidesJ

Dec 21, 2014
Visit site

So that article seems like a knee jerk reaction to the changes. If you follow a link in that article to one from the Chicago Tribune, it has this quote:

Ramon Llamas, research manager for mobile phones and smartphones at Framingham, Mass.-based market intelligence firm IDC, said the cuts do not reflect a lack of confidence in Motorola Mobility but rather an overall desire by Lenovo to consolidate responsibilities and increase efficiency.

Motorola Mobility’s market share held steady — about 2.4 percent globally and about 6 percent in the United States — from first quarter 2014 through first quarter 2015, which is the most recent data available, Llamas said.

He added that the device maker’s recent strategy to deliver high-quality phones at low prices is a smart one, especially given the news that Verizon is eliminating subsidized phones and contracts.

Not worried yet

DC Wuff

Nov 26, 2009
Visit site

Well, one of the things that regressed lately is speed up updates... while this shouldn't affect the 2015 Motos, it might impact how quickly those 2015 Motos get updated. They will all, presumably, be shipping with 5.1.1. But with them gutting the Motorola's software people, how soon will we get M?

After the unmitigated disaster (for me) that was the 5.0 update for the 2014 Moto X Pure Edition -- and especially given how well the phone once again performs after they took their time with the 5.1 update -- I am no longer concerned with Motorola rushing out the updates. I'd rather them take a little time and get it right. They'll still be faster than Samsung and HTC.

Rem3Dy

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site

Well the 5.0 update problems were mostly Google's fault for the software not being 100% ready.

Posted via the Android Central App

rebretz000

Jul 20, 2011
Visit site

I swear I saw a press statement or something last week that said Motorola was no longer going to guarantee OS updates like they had with the previous Moto X versions. If phone "A" is running well on system "2" and the process of updating the phone to system "3" was more time consuming than they deemed worthy it would stay on "2".
I can not find it now.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

I swear I saw a press statement or something last week that said Motorola was no longer going to guarantee OS updates like they had with the previous Moto X versions. If phone "A" is running well on system "2" and the process of updating the phone to system "3" was more time consuming than they deemed worthy it would stay on "2".
I can not find it now.

That statement would be a ship sinker.

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site

That statement would be a ship sinker.
At the 2015 x press showing the Moto software guy said they were committed to fast updates, but not at the expense of the consumer. 5.0 was a disaster and moto won't push another update that bad should Google release another.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

At the 2015 x press showing the Moto software guy said they were committed to fast updates, but not at the expense of the consumer. 5.0 was a disaster and moto won't push another update that bad should Google release another.

Right, that makes sense ... but publicly stating you're going to weigh support effort vs cost vs return (obviously you are, but don't say it) is going to make even the hardest of fanboys bounce to another company.

rebretz000

Jul 20, 2011
Visit site

I am definitely having to reconsider buying the Moto X Pure/Style. I was already to buy 3. Even bought SD Cards for them already but now with all this shakeup and the update thing I'll go Nexus 5 (2015), maybe a new Nexus 6 depending on the size.

Cakefish

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site

I am definitely having to reconsider buying the Moto X Pure/Style. I was already to buy 3. Even bought SD Cards for them already but now with all this shakeup and the update thing I'll go Nexus 5 (2015), maybe a new Nexus 6 depending on the size.
Nexus phones traditionally don't have SD card support. Just in case, you aren't already aware.

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site

Right, that makes sense ... but publicly stating you're going to weigh support effort vs cost vs return (obviously you are, but don't say it) is going to make even the hardest of fanboys bounce to another company.
I hear you. The only other real comparison is the nexus. But you'll never have quality open source camera image processing which is always the nexus' Achilles heel.

I thought about it seriously after hearing the news and have decided to give the new x a shot. If the m rollout is a disaster then the nexus will still be there. I also used m on my nexus 6 and it's really a tiny change vs 5.1 so it won't be like waiting and being stuck on 4.4 was last time around for so many devices.

Evilnut

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site

I'm not sure why everyone thinks this so-called shake up it's going to be having a negative effect on the Motorola phones. Lenovo purchased Motorola to make them the single manufacture for their smartphones. Motorola is doing positive things and showing positive growth. I believe Lenovo sees that and is going to continue on the same path. Maybe the physical design of the phone may change a bit going forward, but I truly believe Lenovo is going to let the current path that Motorola is on with their software continue going forward. They are going to have to prove me wrong before I think any different and consider not buying a Motorola phone.

Posted via Android Central App from a beautiful Ebony backed Original Moto X or the amazing Nexus 10

Cakefish

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site

Everyone seems to be panicking and assuming that this is the end of virtually stock Android on Motorola phones. I don't get that impression at all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Reahs