Does Android still lag today?

aha

Oct 4, 2015
Visit site
Let's say I am an average user without a lot of knowledge about Android, use a flagship Android phone today, don't pay much attention to clear buffers or uninstall unused apps.

Does Android still slow down after a few months and starts to lag to stutter?

Sent from my Passport using Tapatalk

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
In my experience, there are still slow downs and glitches, however my 6sp was much worse, even after only a few days usage. I am a very heavy user though. For the most part any current high end Android should run smooth.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 5

anon(9072051)

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
I had a One M8 for about 10 months, and it never lagged; and the Nexus 6 I traded up to remains lag free 3 months in.

Oddly enough, though, my 2014 iPad Air has become a laggy PITA ever since the iOS 9 update, even with all of the Siri-related settings turned off.

Fr0gburp3r

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
My Note 5 lags and redraws all the time when swiping between home screens. Scrolling in YouTube also lags a lot so, yes, it still lags today.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I've been using a 2013 Moto X and a 2013 Nexus 7 for 8 months now, and I haven't experienced lag on either device.

Sent from my rooted Nexus 7 (2013) using Tapatalk

aha

Oct 4, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for all the reply. It sounds like the lag isn't much a problem anymore

KingSRB

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
I just to use Xperia Z model 2013y with no lag and now im using samsung galaxy s4mini duos with no lag so i think android become O.S without lag since about 2011-2012.

gurisingh

Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
I've got a Note 4 and Galaxy S5 and both started lagging after few month of usage, but that could be due to the amount of apps I have installed.

codeda

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for all the reply. It sounds like the lag isn't much a problem anymore

It very much depends on which phone you get. Saying does Android lag, is too generic. Some phones are buttery smooth and some are lag fests. Depends on manufacturer and skin and whatever they've put in to it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

aha

Oct 4, 2015
Visit site
It very much depends on which phone you get. Saying does Android lag, is too generic. Some phones are buttery smooth and some are lag fests. Depends on manufacturer and skin and whatever they've put in to it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yeah, that's why I defined it in the OP that, it's the flagship phones today we are talking about: Note 5, LG G4, SGS6, Moto X, HTC One M9... assuming stock OS and skin, used by an average user.

I know this is still a huge range. But the reason I am asking this is, I heard Android OS (5.1?) has improved significantly on the lag problem and the UI performance is very smooth now even AFTER months of use.... but there are still tons of users saying that Android still lags after a while. Then there are people saying that those poor experience are mostly from an mid to low range phones, or a dated OS...

I am considering BlackBerry Priv, the main concern about this is the alleged lag problem from Android. I know Priv's specs are going to match those flagship Android phones, and it will use the latest Android OS, so I just want to get an idea from Android users who used today 's flagship phones about this lag issue.

Alex Wetzel

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
I'm experiencing only occasional lag on my Note 4 after about 6 months. So I guess it depends on not only the device in question, but also on how well the user maintains said device, what version of Android they're running, and other factors.

Posted from the one and only Note 4

Monitordroid

Oct 8, 2015
Visit site
Yes it does. My grandparents had a Samsung Galaxy Tablet 4 and only used it for Skype. The thing is atrociously slow sometimes. I've tried resetting it to no avail.

Geodude074

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
My two year old Nexus 5 is butter smooth now with 5.1.1 compared to one year ago with 5.0. So according to my experience, Android phones get less laggy over time.

po10chill

Oct 11, 2015
Visit site
Is Android still Laggy?

I had a Samsung Galaxy S3 for about 2 years and it was always laggy and felt really sluggish. I switched to Blackberry and picked up a Z30 and BB10 was so smooth compared to Android on the S3. However now with the Blackberry Slider coming out in a couple weeks I wanna buy it. However its running Android and my concern is that Android will still be the laggy OS I remember from my Galaxy S3. I love everything about the Blackberry Priv but Im worried about Android letting me down again. Should I still be concerned about Android? Or is that lag/slowness a thing of the past on these newer better spec'd phones and newer OS versions?

Tumultus

Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
Re: Is Android still Laggy?

Since you seem to be unsure, why don't you just wait a little longer and see how the user reaction is after the Priv has been released. There could be major flaws in the design or bugs in the software which you won't know about until people actually used it for a while.

It wouldn't help you really if I were to tell you that I have absolutely no lag on my Galaxy Note 4 since you're eying with a complete different device.

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site

Depends on the device and software. My international S3 and G2 didn't have lag issues after I rooted and flashed custom ROMs.

Sent from my 6045I using Tapatalk

aha

Oct 4, 2015
Visit site

Since you seem to be unsure, why don't you just wait a little longer and see how the user reaction is after the Priv has been released. There could be major flaws in the design or bugs in the software which you won't know about until people actually used it for a while.

It wouldn't help you really if I were to tell you that I have absolutely no lag on my Galaxy Note 4 since you're eying with a complete different device.
Yep, won't jump in on this one for sure. Just trying to get an idea about the progress of Android. I did use SGS3 a little bit two summers ago and it was pretty laggy. But that was probably 2-3 generations ago for Android and 3 generations of hardware before.

If Note 4 runs lag free with stock OS, without rooting or special treatment, that would be a good sign, because Priv will be at least one generation ahead of Note 4 in terms of hardware and one generation of Android ahead too, with one variable: BlackBerry 's tweak of Android, either the HUB integration or security tweaks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress