Are phones now fashion statements?

me23brown

Jun 26, 2015
Visit site
I was curious what everyone thought about this. The reason I ask is that I read a lot of android forums and listen to a lot of podcasts (probably too much of both) and for a long time I've heard people clamoring for a new nexus 5 inch device. Well this year they got their wish with the release of the 5X and 6P. Now many of those same people are saying that they either don't like the 5X because it looks too "cheap" or they are getting the 6P instead because it looks more "premium". I first noticed this trend with the latest Samsung flagships where they sacrificed many features for a more "premium" look. For me personally I don't understand any of this desire for this certain look for a device that will spend the majority of its time in my pocket. So am I missing something, or are phones now a fashion statement for most people?

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
They've taken that turn long ago... phones as status symbols has been a topic of conversation for several years.

All you have to do is go to any shopping mall and look at the sheer numbers of loopy-looking cases available.... Swarovski crystals, Hello Kitty, bling upon bling... Go out and about, especially in urban areas, and most people are looking at their phones. Of course there will be many who will now try to have their phones as an accessory as well.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
These people are not to be emulated, I venture to aver.

Posted via the Android Central App

anon(9072051)

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
Emulate 'em or not, they're here to stay. More important for all of us, they're buying phones.

If everybody tows a strict utilitarian line, OEMs go ka-boom, and we end up with fewer "bleedin' tech" options.

MunkeeBonez

Oct 9, 2015
Visit site
I always put a camoflauge case on my devices, but I am not sure that I consider it a fashion statement, as I tend to spend most of my time at home in my IDE like a computer programming hermit.

-MunkeeBonez

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress