ATTN: American Cellphone Users

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I've been looking into FCC articles. I haven't found any pertaining to this issue. I also don't really know where to look except the .gov website. At the end of the day, the FCC has final say. Believe me, I'm against government interfering with the private sector, but we have a very big, very liberal government as it is, and the FCC has been known to flex its muscle.

Huh? You don't need the FCC to know there are SIM locks on phones. See below.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...tt.com%2Fdeviceunlock%2F%23%2F&token=AFSsqIPb
https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-1588

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
There's literally no reason for the carriers to allow this and a huge reason for them to lobby against it. And with all of them on one side, the FCC will follow them. It might be OK once carriers abandon CDMA tech, but until then...

I'm in favor of this option, but we won't see it happen for a long time. It'd make carriers even more like dumb pipes, which is good for everyone.

Murph5150

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
There's literally no reason for the carriers to allow this and a huge reason for them to lobby against it. And with all of them on one side, the FCC will follow them. It might be OK once carriers abandon CDMA tech, but until then...

I'm in favor of this option, but we won't see it happen for a long time. It'd make carriers even more like dumb pipes, which is good for everyone.

According to what was said on the broadcast we could see this technology before the end of the year. The technology is already engineered.

Posted via the Android Central App

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Technology existing and being rolled out to replace institutions are two different things. Example, self driving cars exist, almost no one has them. The car industry is actively preventing electric from going mainstream, let alone driverless.

lafountain

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
The big issue I would see with this besides of course the carriers doing what they can to stop it, is the fact that in the US there is CDMA and GSM, and the CDMA networks (Verizon and Sprint) pretty much have to authorize a phone to be used on their network since you don't just slap a SIM card in and go on those networks.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm not talking about SIM locks. This is new engineering exclusive to Samsung (for now). I'll also try and stay updated as news flows in.

According to what was said on the broadcast we could see this technology before the end of the year. The technology is already engineered.

The technology talks about SIM cards (basically) .. So I fail to see what you're talking about? You keep going on about it is new technology but it isn't. It is just software replacing the SIM card (so essentially the same thing minus the physical card) but my point was .. Why would carriers restrict SIM cards but allow this software?

Last edited:

Murph5150

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
The technology talks about SIM cards (basically) .. So I fail to see what you're talking about? You keep going on about it is new technology but it isn't. It is just software replacing the SIM card (so essentially the same thing minus the physical card) but my point was .. Why would carriers restrict SIM cards but allow this software?

I can't explain how it works. This news was announced at the Barcelona, Spain convention. As I see links for further information, I'll post them.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
This sounds like the eSIM technology. It's not "live switching" like Fi does but the ability to switch carriers without changing SIM cards.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
The big issue I would see with this besides of course the carriers doing what they can to stop it, is the fact that in the US there is CDMA and GSM, and the CDMA networks (Verizon and Sprint) pretty much have to authorize a phone to be used on their network since you don't just slap a SIM card in and go on those networks.

Could you explain then how I was able to just slap my Verizon SIM from my Moto X into my Nexus 6P when I got my 6P? There was no pre-authorization needed, just swap the SIM in and it worked.

lafountain

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Could you explain then how I was able to just slap my Verizon SIM from my Moto X into my Nexus 6P when I got my 6P? There was no pre-authorization needed, just swap the SIM in and it worked.

Then I stand corrected, I am a Sprint user and did not know that Verizon had made that change.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I can't explain how it works. This news was announced at the Barcelona, Spain convention. As I see links for further information, I'll post them.

Well I guess I can say I am done with the conversation for now then. It is hard to discuss things when you don't have the details on what it does. I am not sure how your argument of "This is going to change this and this" when you don't have the details on hand. It sounded like you did.

From the sound of it though (basically being a software SIM) .. what I said previously will 99.9% be the case.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Then I stand corrected, I am a Sprint user and did not know that Verizon had made that change.

Verizon has to allow any capable phone onto their network if the SIM is inserted. They made an agreement for spectrum since that was the only way the FCC would give it to them ... The catches were 1) Allow any capable device (a.k.a has the radios) on your network if a SIM is inserted and 2) Your phones must be SIM unlocked out of the gate.

The catch that people run into with Verizon is sometimes they won't activate what they see as an "Approved" device. You could call this a loop-hole in the agreement above .. Since the agreement says you must let any device on the network but didn't state you have the activate a NEW SIM card for that to be the case. If it is an already active one though .. it works every-time and they can't say anything. That is why Verizon users on the old unlimited plan can put their SIM into an actual hotspot and it works right off the bat.

lafountain

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Verizon has to allow any capable phone onto their network if the SIM is inserted. They made an agreement for spectrum since that was the only way the FCC would give it to them ... The catches were 1) Allow any capable device (a.k.a has the radios) on your network if a SIM is inserted and 2) Your phones must be SIM unlocked out of the gate.

The catch that people run into with Verizon is sometimes they won't activate what they see as an "Approved" device. You could call this a loop-hole in the agreement above .. Since the agreement says you must let any device on the network but didn't state you have the activate a NEW SIM card for that to be the case. If it is an already active one though .. it works every-time and they can't say anything. That is why Verizon users on the old unlimited plan can put their SIM into an actual hotspot and it works right off the bat.

Thank you for the clarification.

sting7k

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site

Lot's of things gets announced at conventions like that and then never see the light of day. We call those vaporware. Until Samsung announces this in partnership with US carriers that is all this technology will be; vaporware.

injoyd

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Clark Howard, if any of you know about him, is extremely judicious and accurate in what he says. I'll give every poster in this thread 50 bucks if this is a hoax.

I've listened to Howard for years. He has yet to deceive his audience. The wireless companies may whine and moan, but Samsung has already developed the technology, and it IS going to happen in America, and possibly abroad. Why would Samsung have invested millions into a feature destined to fail?

I want in on that action :) I just don't see this happening. Unless you are changing the way big business in America is done. That would be lovely.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cottoneyejoe