How much storage is needed?

johnnyshinta

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
I have 11.55gb of internal storage free and wondering I'm wondering if I need to get a SD card. I have 200gb of Google storage and stream music. I feel like I should be able to just clear local copies of my photos after storage gets full but at the same time that's a pain.

Thoughts?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It depends on your other usage habits. Do you install lots of other big apps (i.e., games)? Do you have a Pixel (and therefore unlimited Original Quality Google Photos backups)?

If you have a Pixel (or if you don't mind the High Quality backups to Google Photos, of which anyone gets unlimited storage), and if you don't routinely install lots of big games, then I'd say you're fine. It's easy to use the Free Up Space option in Google Photos to automatically clear out any locally saved photos/videos that it knows are already backed up to the cloud.

ManiacJoe

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
I like the idea of having an SD card as it gets me extra storage for things that do not need to be on the internal storage.
Many of the well-written apps that use lots of storage space (cameras, maps, GPS, games) now give the option of putting their data on the SD card while leaving the app installed on the internal storage.

Of course, putting all the media files (pictures, music, videos, documents) on the SD card is a no brainer.

All that said, I readily admit that everything that is stored on my SD card could easily be transferred to the internal storage with space left over.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa