I'm somewhat over this addiction. I don't need to have the latest...

Elky64

Dec 24, 2019
Visit site
I opted for a Pixel 3a over a 3 or 4 ONLY for the extra battery life.

That alone is worth getting a solid mid ranger over a flagship.

So how are you finding the battery life on the 3a?

Was contemplating getting the 4a when it comes out yet its 3080 mAh battery (if true) will cause me to hesitate a bit. I'm used to phone's w/batteries in the 3500-4000 mAh range so tough going backwards on this front. Still miffed why Google thinks "so yesterdays" tech is still cool, may work for Apple but imo not so much here.

In any given brand, a flagship is supposed to be better in every single way than a mid ranger. But we've seen that that is most definitely not always the case.

That's so true. Support is a good example, other than the likes of Google the majority of OEMs still put a device on the chopping block after two years no matter what was spent.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
I opted for a Pixel 3a over a 3 or 4 ONLY for the extra battery life.

That alone is worth getting a solid mid ranger over a flagship.

In any given brand, a flagship is supposed to be better in every single way than a mid ranger. But we've seen that that is most definitely not always the case.

Will be interested to hear how you like it. Love mine.

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
I like Samsung's A series. I agree with the points made, my only issue is for some reason I can't play Asphalt 9. I had an old iPhone 7 and no problems.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
yeah man that's so weird. don't get me wrong, the more I use the s20 ultra the more I love it and realize it's way better than some of the criticism it's getting in the reviews but if I would've had to pay full price for it I probably wouldn't have. I was coming from a note 9 and seriously was looking at possibly getting the A71 if it came to sprint, but they gave me the ultra for free . Honestly I would've paid $1100 for it but the 1399 is just rediculous for any phone at this point. Even the ones that fold.

I totally agree with you - $1400 is WAY too much for a phone! I too was interested in the Samsung A-series - specifically, the A51, I think. But the size (6.5") was too big for me. Otherwise, depending on the camera specs, I would have heavily considered it.

I think you made the right call - I'd get the Ultra too if I'd gotten it for free!

the_boon

Aug 7, 2018
Visit site
Yes.
I have an iPhone XR also but mostly the 3a.
How does the battery compare between the two?

The 3a has a few hundred mAh but it doesn't have Apple's refined optimization

Also the OLED will always be more power hungry than a 720p LCD

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
How does the battery compare between the two?

The 3a has a few hundred mAh but it doesn't have Apple's refined optimization

Also the OLED will always be more power hungry than a 720p LCD

Close but the iPhone is slightly better in my estimation. Apple is just better at optimizing.
That being said, I have no issue getting through an entire day with either.

mikey6965

Nov 10, 2020
Visit site
I don't see many changes in speed from year to year with my Samsung phones. I will go and test them out at Best Buy for a long time and make that determination.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I don't see many changes in speed from year to year with my Samsung phones. I will go and test them out at Best Buy for a long time and make that determination.

It's true - sometimes the improvements are marginal at best and you can't even tell the difference in day to day use!

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
...not!! LOL ������������

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in!

I gave my Huawei P30 Pro to my Mother. I got the iPhone 12 Pro Max and now the Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra.

I even got the LG Velvet 5G.

Last edited:

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site

I gave my Huawei P30 Pro to my Mother. I got the iPhone 12 Pro Max and now the Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra.

We knew you were lying to yourself ;)

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site

Welcome back, old friend! I love the LG Velvet! How are you liking it?

Climb14er

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
Twenty eight years ago, when I got my first phone, an early Motorola flip, analog, great phone from Mobiltel here in Denver, the owner, Bill gave me words of advice that I've followed to this day... ' you either control the phone or it will control you'. This was back in the day when plans were thirty minutes of talk, no data, no texts, for fifty bucks! I'm still running a Note 9 that is performing on Verizon, perfectly! Enjoy whichever phone floats your boat!

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Twenty eight years ago, when I got my first phone, an early Motorola flip, analog, great phone from Mobiltel here in Denver, the owner, Bill gave me words of advice that I've followed to this day... ' you either control the phone or it will control you'. This was back in the day when plans were thirty minutes of talk, no data, no texts, for fifty bucks! I'm still running a Note 9 that is performing on Verizon, perfectly! Enjoy whichever phone floats your boat!

That's a really good and wise saying. I feel like when I was younger, my phone controlled me and I regret it now. I love phones, don't get me wrong, but I do think there's a time and place for using them.