Anyone still using Google Cardboard?

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Ambassador
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Folks,

I cut my teeth on cardboard. My first two headsets were Google Cardboard. I owned a semi DIY actual cardboard headset AND a nice plastic Mattel Viewmaster VR. Both suited me well, BUT since moving on to Google Daydream and GearVR I have not looked back.

That being said, the cardboard IS a great way to get started on VR WITHOUT breaking the bank. My "cardboard" cardboard was around 10 dollars and the Viewmaster I got on sale for 20. The experience while not as good as other VR (I also tried both the Oculus Rift and HTC Vive at a VR Arcade) IS pretty good.

So is anyone still using Google VR?

Rob Phillips

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
My Merge Goggles utilize the Google Cardboard platform and I’ve just recently started getting into VR. Like you, I feel like it’s a good launchpad into VR but I realize the value is in the price point moreso than the quality of the experience. As of now I’m still deciding what my next steps are going to be and it looks like It’ll either be Oculus Go or PSVR.

Last edited:

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Ambassador
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
My Merge Goggles utilize the Goggle Cardboard platform and I’ve just recently started getting into VR. Like you, I feel like it’s a good launchpad into VR but I realize the value is in the price point moreso than the quality of the experience. As of now I’m still deciding what my next steps are going to be and it looks like It’ll either be Oculus Go or PSVR.

IF you gotta or wanna go cardboard, the Merge IS the gold standard! That is the one I would get. Lately the purple "iconic" one has been on sale at Amazon for 35 dollars!

Rob Phillips

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
IF you gotta or wanna go cardboard, the Merge IS the gold standard! That is the one I would get. Lately the purple "iconic" one has been on sale at Amazon for 35 dollars!

Yep. I actually purchased the purple one for $35 based on your recommendation. It’s been solid.

krisguy

VR Expert
Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
I still use Cardboard apps, especially YouTube, if I want to check something out quickly. When I get my new Daydream headset, though, it's done. Also, I'm probably going to get the Oculus Go after I get moved and settled it.

hrando85

Apr 2, 2018
Visit site
Yes I love the cardboard apps especially for my children because if they tear it up it doesn’t take my whole paycheck to replace it!! And it works just as good as any of the other ones

Rob Phillips

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Yes I love the cardboard apps especially for my children because if they tear it up it doesn’t take my whole paycheck to replace it!! And it works just as good as any of the other ones

Yep! My four year old LOVES watching Cardboard VR videos using my Merge Goggles. The only thing that makes me slightly nervous is having my $1,150 iPhone X in there but the Merge holds on pretty tight and there’s plenty of padding in the event it’s dropped.

DrunkenBoxer

Mar 31, 2018
Visit site
I just found out that I had a Google Cardboard viewer lying around(it was a convention giveaway) so yes, definitely trying it out. But after I move, I'll almost certainly be upgrading to at least a Merge for the comfort and convenience.

Rob Phillips

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
I just found out that I had a Google Cardboard viewer lying around(it was a convention giveaway) so yes, definitely trying it out. But after I move, I'll almost certainly be upgrading to at least a Merge for the comfort and convenience.

Totally worth buying the Merge, especially if the purple model is still being offered on Amazon for $35.

ModeVR

Apr 13, 2018
Visit site
I moved on to GearVR and PSVR but I do use my Merge VR headset every now and then. Mainly for quick AR sessions with the Merge Cube or for videos.

Before I got my Gear VR, I enjoyed watching game play videos on my Cardboard. It convinced me to buy an S7 just to use the Gear VR. Now I moved up to PSVR but I'm still looking forward to the Oculus Go.

game play videos for cardboard

Last edited:

ModeVR

Apr 13, 2018
Visit site
I moved on to GearVR and PSVR but I do use my Merge VR headset every now and then. Mainly for quick AR sessions with the Merge Cube or for videos.

Before I got my Gear VR, I enjoyed watching game play videos on my Cardboard[/URL]. It convinced me to buy an S7 just to use the Gear VR. Now I moved up to PSVR but I'm still looking forward to the Oculus Go.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
g1303bk