02-02-2018 07:49 AM
33 12
tools
    Maybe I am just doing something wrong? But most of the time my mini never understands what I am asking, or it is unable to use that function (answer a question, search function). Is there a way to fix this?
    12-23-2017 08:32 PM
    I guess it depends on how extravagant the things you're asking it to do are. I've never had any issues, but I mainly use my home devices (and phone assistant) for playing music, checking weather/traffic, and setting reminders/calendar events.
    12-23-2017 09:21 PM
    What're you asking it?

I ask the below without issue...

- traffic
    - weather
    - reminders
    - news
    - control home thermostat
    - control Phillips Hue lights
    - add stuff to calendar
    - ask when football games are on

Etc.
    Ry and Morty2264 like this.
    12-23-2017 09:25 PM
    Mine works fine for me also. Did you try to retrain it for your voice?
    12-24-2017 08:44 AM
    I ask general questions, who was the ( 7th president? what is the capital of _______? how many liquid ounces in a pound? More than 75% of the time it does not know what I'm asking it? I ask my phone the same question and the answer pops up. I'll retrain my voice and see what it happens.
    12-24-2017 10:01 PM
    I'm in love with my mini ok well not literally but I got my Christmas morning and it's brilliant if there is one fault and I mean one fault no battery in it but what a thing.
    oh you can get it to set timers etc too
    12-26-2017 03:58 AM
    Mine works perfectly
    12-26-2017 05:11 AM
    I'm in love with my mini ok well not literally but I got my Christmas morning and it's brilliant if there is one fault and I mean one fault no battery in it but what a thing.
    oh you can get it to set timers etc too
    There's no battery because it's meant to stay home. Hence the name Home mini.
    12-26-2017 12:25 PM
    There's no battery because it's meant to stay home. Hence the name Home mini.
    Well let's keepitreel shall we it also has a Bluetooth function to it so it acts as a speaker.

Also why does it need to stay at home, I happen to think I can pretty much take it anywhere with me as it is an assistant.

It's a very handy device for holidays too I spend times in b and b's so information about weather etc locally is handy.

And besides it's handy for streaming music etc too.

So my comment about no battery is in my books pretty vaild one
    01-06-2018 02:55 PM
    Google Home Mini has no bluetooth. It connects through WiFi. If you were to take it other places, you would need to set it up each time on your phone and connect it to whatever network you're on. Again - hence the name "Google Home". It's meant to be left at home.

If you're travelling, use your phone for all the above mentioned features (weather, streaming music, etc).
    01-09-2018 09:44 AM
    Google Home Mini has no bluetooth. It connects through WiFi. If you were to take it other places, you would need to set it up each time on your phone and connect it to whatever network you're on. Again - hence the name "Google Home". It's meant to be left at home.

If you're travelling, use your phone for all the above mentioned features (weather, streaming music, etc).
    Yes, it does have Bluetooth. As he said, it can be used as a Bluetooth speaker. Also, most speculate that the hardware could also support Bluetooth in the other direction - letting the mini broadcast to a Bluetooth speaker - if only Google decided to enable it. However, it currently can receive a Bluetooth signal and act as a Bluetooth speaker. Fact.
    01-09-2018 03:56 PM
    Yes, it does have Bluetooth. As he said, it can be used as a Bluetooth speaker. Also, most speculate that the hardware could also support Bluetooth in the other direction - letting the mini broadcast to a Bluetooth speaker - if only Google decided to enable it. However, it currently can receive a Bluetooth signal and act as a Bluetooth speaker. Fact.
    Well thanks for that info! I stand corrected. You do learn something new every day.
    jhimmel likes this.
    01-10-2018 06:30 AM
    Well let's keepitreel shall we it also has a Bluetooth function to it so it acts as a speaker.

Also why does it need to stay at home, I happen to think I can pretty much take it anywhere with me as it is an assistant.

It's a very handy device for holidays too I spend times in b and b's so information about weather etc locally is handy.

I use the Google Assistant in my phone for that stiff when I'm traveling. It's a lot easier than setting up a Home on a new network energy place I go. Especially since I don't trust public wifi.
    01-11-2018 12:50 PM

I understand that and they make Bluetooth portable speakers with built-in Google assistant for that purpose. The purpose of the home mini is to stay home, that's why it's called home.
    01-11-2018 12:54 PM
    I understand that and they make Bluetooth portable speakers with built-in Google assistant for that purpose. The purpose of the home mini is to stay home, that's why it's called home.
    I'm going to ask you a question does a stay at home mum/dad stay just at home or do they travel.

Home is just a word.

Paul Young wrote " Wherever I lay my hat that's my home ".
    01-12-2018 02:33 AM
    I'm going to ask you a question does a stay at home mum/dad stay just at home or do they travel.

Home is just a word.

Dude are you serious? Okay I'll entertain your response....
    The term stay at home mum/dad is defined as a parent that does not work outside of the home. So a stay at home mum/dad will travel but guess what, they're not working outside the home. Much like the Home mini....
    Boom
    01-12-2018 08:08 AM
    Mod note: please keep the conversation civil and on topic.
    01-12-2018 10:26 AM

Home is just a word.

If you truly want a portable one then get a real Google Home (a.k.a non-mini) and buy one of these 3rd party battery packs.

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbrea...rtable-ninety7

Otherwise.. there is no way to do it. They didn't intend for this to be a portable product.
    01-12-2018 10:29 AM
    The portable Google Home would be your phone's Google Assistant. The "Home" part of the Google Home name refers to its ability to control your smarthome devices. For all of the other things you can ask your Google Home to answer, it's the same as saying "Hey Google" to your phone.
    01-12-2018 12:27 PM
    And back to the original topic ...
    I ask general questions, who was the ( 7th president? what is the capital of _______? how many liquid ounces in a pound? More than 75% of the time it does not know what I'm asking it? I ask my phone the same question and the answer pops up. I'll retrain my voice and see what it happens.
    Did you manage to get better results after retraining your voice?
    Golfdriver97 likes this.
    01-12-2018 01:40 PM
    Mod note: please keep the conversation civil and on topic.
    It's not me trying to be rude about this as some one who travels I just see the mini as being more than it is at the moment.

I think some take the word "home" far to seriously.
    01-13-2018 03:59 AM
    If you truly want a portable one then get a real Google Home (a.k.a non-mini) and buy one of these 3rd party battery packs.

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbrea...rtable-ninety7

Otherwise.. there is no way to do it. They didn't intend for this to be a portable product.
    I could do that with the mini but to seems a bit pointless
    01-13-2018 04:00 AM
    I'd like to clear one thing up I love the mini it's brilliant as I type it's streaming some music for me.

my comment about no battery was as I see it something Google could think of for the future it's brilliant at what it does as an assistant.

yes I know my phone can do all this with an added Bluetooth speaker which is where my point about no battery it has a Bluetooth function and it's a speaker so adding a battery to it gives it a chance to be more than it is right now.

if you read my original post it was my only negative point about it the rest of it all positive.

I can say good morning too it, it gives me the weather traffic and the news.

I use it to set reminders for me

timers

alarms etc.
    01-13-2018 05:21 AM
    It's not me trying to be rude about this as some one who travels I just see the mini as being more than it is at the moment.

I think some take the word "home" far to seriously.
    Regardless, my post still stands.

A reminder for those in the thread: https://forums.androidcentral.com/vo...ml#post5715201
    01-13-2018 09:14 AM
    Regardless, my post still stands.

A reminder for those in the thread: https://forums.androidcentral.com/vo...ml#post5715201
    I'd be grateful if you can point out where I was rude or I swore etc.
    01-13-2018 10:50 AM
33 12