The most worthless device?

steelrain82

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
Maybe I am just doing something wrong? But most of the time my mini never understands what I am asking, or it is unable to use that function (answer a question, search function). Is there a way to fix this?

osubeavs728

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
I guess it depends on how extravagant the things you're asking it to do are. I've never had any issues, but I mainly use my home devices (and phone assistant) for playing music, checking weather/traffic, and setting reminders/calendar events.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
What're you asking it?

I ask the below without issue...

- traffic
- weather
- reminders
- news
- control home thermostat
- control Phillips Hue lights
- add stuff to calendar
- ask when football games are on

Etc.

steelrain82

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
I ask general questions, who was the ( 7th president? what is the capital of _______? how many liquid ounces in a pound? More than 75% of the time it does not know what I'm asking it? I ask my phone the same question and the answer pops up. I'll retrain my voice and see what it happens.

Soundman72

Jan 27, 2016
Visit site
I'm in love with my mini ok well not literally but I got my Christmas morning and it's brilliant if there is one fault and I mean one fault no battery in it but what a thing.
oh you can get it to set timers etc too

keepnitreel

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm in love with my mini ok well not literally but I got my Christmas morning and it's brilliant if there is one fault and I mean one fault no battery in it but what a thing.
oh you can get it to set timers etc too
There's no battery because it's meant to stay home. Hence the name Home mini.

Soundman72

Jan 27, 2016
Visit site
There's no battery because it's meant to stay home. Hence the name Home mini.

Well let's keepitreel shall we it also has a Bluetooth function to it so it acts as a speaker.

Also why does it need to stay at home, I happen to think I can pretty much take it anywhere with me as it is an assistant.

It's a very handy device for holidays too I spend times in b and b's so information about weather etc locally is handy.

And besides it's handy for streaming music etc too.

So my comment about no battery is in my books pretty vaild one

can3gxw

Trusted Member
Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
Google Home Mini has no bluetooth. It connects through WiFi. If you were to take it other places, you would need to set it up each time on your phone and connect it to whatever network you're on. Again - hence the name "Google Home". It's meant to be left at home.

If you're travelling, use your phone for all the above mentioned features (weather, streaming music, etc).

jhimmel

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
Google Home Mini has no bluetooth. It connects through WiFi. If you were to take it other places, you would need to set it up each time on your phone and connect it to whatever network you're on. Again - hence the name "Google Home". It's meant to be left at home.

If you're travelling, use your phone for all the above mentioned features (weather, streaming music, etc).
Yes, it does have Bluetooth. As he said, it can be used as a Bluetooth speaker. Also, most speculate that the hardware could also support Bluetooth in the other direction - letting the mini broadcast to a Bluetooth speaker - if only Google decided to enable it. However, it currently can receive a Bluetooth signal and act as a Bluetooth speaker. Fact.

can3gxw

Trusted Member
Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
Yes, it does have Bluetooth. As he said, it can be used as a Bluetooth speaker. Also, most speculate that the hardware could also support Bluetooth in the other direction - letting the mini broadcast to a Bluetooth speaker - if only Google decided to enable it. However, it currently can receive a Bluetooth signal and act as a Bluetooth speaker. Fact.

Well thanks for that info! I stand corrected. You do learn something new every day.

Lok52

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site
Well let's keepitreel shall we it also has a Bluetooth function to it so it acts as a speaker.

Also why does it need to stay at home, I happen to think I can pretty much take it anywhere with me as it is an assistant.

It's a very handy device for holidays too I spend times in b and b's so information about weather etc locally is handy.

I use the Google Assistant in my phone for that stiff when I'm traveling. It's a lot easier than setting up a Home on a new network energy place I go. Especially since I don't trust public wifi.

keepnitreel

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site

I understand that and they make Bluetooth portable speakers with built-in Google assistant for that purpose. The purpose of the home mini is to stay home, that's why it's called home.

Soundman72

Jan 27, 2016
Visit site
I understand that and they make Bluetooth portable speakers with built-in Google assistant for that purpose. The purpose of the home mini is to stay home, that's why it's called home.

I'm going to ask you a question does a stay at home mum/dad stay just at home or do they travel.

Home is just a word.

Paul Young wrote " Wherever I lay my hat that's my home ".

keepnitreel

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm going to ask you a question does a stay at home mum/dad stay just at home or do they travel.

Home is just a word.

Dude are you serious? Okay I'll entertain your response....
The term stay at home mum/dad is defined as a parent that does not work outside of the home. So a stay at home mum/dad will travel but guess what, they're not working outside the home. Much like the Home mini....
Boom

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Home is just a word.

If you truly want a portable one then get a real Google Home (a.k.a non-mini) and buy one of these 3rd party battery packs.

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbre...ot-google-home-battery-bases-portable-ninety7

Otherwise.. there is no way to do it. They didn't intend for this to be a portable product.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
The portable Google Home would be your phone's Google Assistant. The "Home" part of the Google Home name refers to its ability to control your smarthome devices. For all of the other things you can ask your Google Home to answer, it's the same as saying "Hey Google" to your phone.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
And back to the original topic ... :)
I ask general questions, who was the ( 7th president? what is the capital of _______? how many liquid ounces in a pound? More than 75% of the time it does not know what I'm asking it? I ask my phone the same question and the answer pops up. I'll retrain my voice and see what it happens.
Did you manage to get better results after retraining your voice?

Last edited: