Have you rooted your N1?

dan1431

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
I would have rooted already, if it was not for my Wife who forbade me from altering the deice in any way that violated the warranty.

As the thing ages a little more I am sure that I will be able to convince her that rooting is safe and will rom Cyanogen or MoDoCo.

Dan

ILoveBlythe

Dec 14, 2009
www.fhtmus.com
Don't tell her. If she sees the lock on the screen tell her its part of the update. LOL. I say this but i got the "you did what!!!" "uggh, you and your damn phones"lol

dan1431

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
Don't tell her. If she sees the lock on the screen tell her its part of the update. LOL. I say this but i got the "you did what!!!" "uggh, you and your damn phones"lol

Every time I make a change to my home network, pc, media center, etc, I get the "why did you have to monkey with it, it was working just fine the way it was", but then she begins to appreciate the improvement, wash rinse, repeat.

Dan

jspidey

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
I'm sure there are many more of us, but it's nice to see that I'm not the only one who gets this treatment from my wife.

Not rooted, BTW, for the same reason stated above...

Channan

Keyboard Warrior
Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
I'm not rooted because I went to root and it looked pretty complicated. Didn't feel like going through it just to get wifi tethering (all I want that I don't have) and I saw some people trying to figure out how to unroot and couldn't, so I didn't bother.

ILoveBlythe

Dec 14, 2009
www.fhtmus.com
It's very easy to un root. The problem lies with locking the boot loader back. This is what voids the warranty. I have mine rooted because, well if something does happen I'll take my chances with htc or get a bill from them to fix it. I have seen many cases in where people have sent their device in with am unlocked boot loader and htc seamed the problem a hardware issue and not software. They got the devices fixed for free under warranty. So to me that says that as long as its a defect, and not caused by the software I'm good. No mater most fixes are rarely above $200 and most tend to be in the mid one hundreds from what I've seen.

anon(6936)

Jan 6, 2010
Visit site
I rooted and on Cyanogen 5.06. Its a better device and kind of a preview of some things that may be in 2.2. Rooting isn't difficult and I would do it again and again. My N1 was just out of the 14 days when I did it.

Channan

Keyboard Warrior
Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
It's very easy to un root. The problem lies with locking the boot loader back. This is what voids the warranty. I have mine rooted because, well if something does happen I'll take my chances with htc or get a bill from them to fix it. I have seen many cases in where people have sent their device in with am unlocked boot loader and htc seamed the problem a hardware issue and not software. They got the devices fixed for free under warranty. So to me that says that as long as its a defect, and not caused by the software I'm good. No mater most fixes are rarely above $200 and most tend to be in the mid one hundreds from what I've seen.

Don't know what that means. "locking boot loader back". Is it possible to root without messing with the boot loader? Sorry, I have no idea what I'm talking about. I just want wifi tethering on my Nexus One, but I don't want to void my warranty. Funny, because I felt so safe with my iPhone. It was always jailbroken, and any time I needed to bring it in to Apple, I'd just restore it.

ILoveBlythe

Dec 14, 2009
www.fhtmus.com
No, not possible to root unless the bootloader is unlocked. this give you access so that you can root it. You don't root then unlock the boot loader it's the other way around. It's not hard, there are plenty of guides to help you along the way and you can always ask here for help with the process.

Channan

Keyboard Warrior
Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
So how do you get it back to the way it came? For iPhones, you just need to restore. Is it easy for Android devices?

ILoveBlythe

Dec 14, 2009
www.fhtmus.com
Once the boot loader is unlocked, that's it. It's unlocked. No way of locking it back. Many developers have been working on this since the nexus was first released with no luck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress