Still no Gingerbread or new market...

toddjy

May 26, 2010
Visit site
I guess Gingerbread still isn't out for the Nexus One, yet? Even though it's been a couple of weeks since they said a couple of weeks.

More importantly, I still haven't gotten the new market. And the old market is crashing almost every time I use it, for either updating apps or finding new ones. I also haven't gotten the new market on my Galaxy Tab. But my brother-in-law has a Sprint Galaxy phone, and I saw that he has the new market.

Is there something I need to do to fix this? Is there anything I can do?

Krak-a-Lakn

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
You should have gotten the update by now. What happens if you do a manual check-in? You do this by dialing *#*#2432546#*#*

You might also try stutting your phone completely down and rebooting.

Krak-a-Lakn

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
I was replying to his issue with the new version of the Market not showing up.

Yeah, who the heck knows when Gingerbread will come out - not holding my breath.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
I guess Gingerbread still isn't out for the Nexus One, yet? Even though it's been a couple of weeks since they said a couple of weeks.

More importantly, I still haven't gotten the new market. And the old market is crashing almost every time I use it, for either updating apps or finding new ones. I also haven't gotten the new market on my Galaxy Tab. But my brother-in-law has a Sprint Galaxy phone, and I saw that he has the new market.

Is there something I need to do to fix this? Is there anything I can do?

Your market should update automatically. You won't even know when it happens. For my device, I had to reboot it completely before the new version started showing.

Reactions: jackdaburby

dan1431

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
A buddy of mine works for a company that is a vendor to Google and has gotten to know many Google employees since they started to use his employers product.

He asked one of the Android team (whom he has gotten to know fairly well) about Gingerbread for the N1 and the response was something to the effect of, "things arose that needed to be fixed". He did not indicate if those "things" were N1 related, Gingerbread related or something else related to Android and my friend did not really press him either.

Dan

jackdaburby

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
hanging tight...yeah right

It's been stated many times and even covered on the site, but heres a link for everyone.... again.

Via the Nexus Twitter account.

Yeah right man hanging tight sucks. We know the N1 is hot and fast but I think we just want what is and should be ours, gingerbread. Now I know things aren't going to completely change and I'll have this life changing experience when I get it but I want it( gingerbread ). (Sigh)

Baconator

AC Adviser
Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Right now Gingerbread is in the fix the bugs position. They are trying to fix the bugs right now before they put in on the N1. Well other phones have been announced to come out with Gingerbread so N1 users should have it before they come out.

GeoKaplan

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Right now Gingerbread is in the fix the bugs position. They are trying to fix the bugs right now before they put in on the N1. Well other phones have been announced to come out with Gingerbread so N1 users should have it before they come out.
eWeek is reporting that a bug in Gingerbread, which leaves data on the SD card vulnerable to attack, is still present in the OS, even after alleged bug fixes implemented by Google.

Is anybody seriously wanting Google to rush unfinished and insecure software to their N1?

Everyone needs to relax and give Google the time to get it right before pushing it to our phones. If it takes more time, then there will be an extended delay, but that beats the hell out of having buggy, vulnerable software.

TaeKwonDonkey

Dec 18, 2009
Visit site
February 18th, 2011 is exactly 8 weeks after the AOSP was released. If it doesn't come by March 1st, I'm just going to assume its not coming at all.

On a side note, I'm a little peeved that a Gingerbread build has popped up for the Droid X and not yet for the Nexus One. I take stuff like that to be an indicator that a release is coming soon. So much for the "Google phone".

kevykev

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
LOL at how long this is taking.

Anyone thinking of getting a Nexus S should think twice. I'm sure that device will be abandoned by Google sooner rather than later as well. What a joke.

NEO_FOLLOWER2

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
LOL at how long this is taking.

Anyone thinking of getting a Nexus S should think twice. I'm sure that device will be abandoned by Google sooner rather than later as well. What a joke.

this i do agree with...a single core, no microsd, no hspa phone
cannot be a "flagship" phone for much longer

the nexus one can arguably be compared to much phones even being release as of last december

but with dual core phones and hspa+ devices coming I don't see how the nexus S will stand up

it's gonna start looking like old technology fast

main reason why i didnt bother wasting my $$ on a NS
just traded my 3gs for a n1 (which then got replaced by HTC for a refurb) =D

scaots

May 29, 2010
Visit site
Nexus S might look more appealing when an LTE Nexus comes out along with LTE pricing... Though hopefully you could still use it on 3G/HSPA+ only without paying for LTE... (obviously this is most applicable for ATT customers)

GeoKaplan

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Nexus S might look more appealing when an LTE Nexus comes out along with LTE pricing... Though hopefully you could still use it on 3G/HSPA+ only without paying for LTE... (obviously this is most applicable for ATT customers)

The rationale behind the NS is just too curious to me. The purpose of the phone (ostensibly) is to be the reference phone for designers. However, it was long known before the NS was even hinted at that dual-core CPUs would be available in 1Q of 2011 (actually, the rumor was for their availability in quantity before the end of 2010). So a reference phone should, it seem, have the most updated design for the software writers to use.

Instead, the NS is a good, but not great, phone, with some significant feature omissions and a processor which was at the cutting edge for about 15 minutes following the release of the phone, long since replaced by dual-core beasts about to hit the marketplace.

My guess is that Google was determined to bring Gingerbread to the public before the end of 2010, and the time required to design and build the NS didn't allow for time to build a phone with dual processors (and perhaps tweak the code to optimize for the CPU). Then, as the release date approached, it was increasingly clear that Gingerbread wasn't ready for widespread release, but the marketing participation of BestBuy was already locked in and Schmidt had made the announcement that the NS and 2.3 would be out before the end of the year.

The NS owners I have talked to seem underwhelmed by the feature set of Gingerbread (their phone has NFC and nowhere to use it, for example), and have basically paid for the opportunity to help Google beta test 2.3, which wasn't what they signed on for when they paid $500 for the phone.

Unless Google forks Honeycomb to the Android phones, it would appear that Ice Cream Sandwich will be the next major release for the N1 after Gingerbread eventually makes its appearance. Perhaps ICS will not only provide a significant feature set update but also come riding with a new reference phone; maybe then I'll be tempted to upgrade from my N1. Until then, I am perfectly content with N1 and Froyo.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty