Google Nexus 10 - power button problem

waterworks2

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
So I've had my Google Nexus tablet since Christmas about 2.5 months. I debated for a long time to get this one or an Ipad. While I don't like everything about the Google Nexus, I have to say that it's a pretty impressive device.

My problem began about 3 weeks into owning it. I noticed the power button seems to be permanently depressed, or at least more depressed or pushed down than it was when I first got the tablet. Eventually this problem got worse and now the power button is pretty much level with the bezel of the device, meaning you can run your fingers over the power button area and not actually feel the button. Seems like a design flaw to me. So I thought, ok no problem, I'll just take it back and exchange it.

Here is where the problem is at. I bought the device at Walmart, as the Google Play store, and every other online (and local) store where you could purchase these things was sold out seemingly forever in the 3 months prior to Christmas. It was really frustrating checking the Google Play store every day to see if I could catch the next order. Google Play never got them in stock, and eventually I was forced to buy from a store that I loathe, Walmart.

With the power button problem, I went to take the Google Nexus 10 tablet back to Walmart. This didn't work. They have a 15 day return policy on this particular device (vs. their usual 90 day return policy). That was a waste of time. So I drove home and looked up the number for Google Play.

Google Play Team: 1.855.836.3987

I called Google Play and they told me that since I didn't purchase the device directly from them I'd have to call the manufacturer. Ok, fine. They gave me the number for Samsung.

Samsung #1: 1.888.987.4357

This is the "Samsung Mobile Help Line". I called this number and listened to the options. Surprise, they didn't have any options for a Google Nexus tablet. So I chose "tablet support" (press 2 after initial language option). So I talked with the person and explained to them my problem. After some back and forth, they told me I had the wrong department and that I had to call another number. They gave me a different Samsung number and then transferred me to the that department.

Samsung #2: 1.877.652.4507

This is "Samsung's Advanced Support". At least that's what the guy said when he answered the phone. There was no recorded message. The call went straight to a person who picked up very quickly. I explained the story again. Again, he told me I had the wrong department and he would transfer me to the right department. He gave me the number to call in case I got disconnected.

Samsung #3: 1.800.SAM.SUNG (1.800.726.7864)

This is "Samsung's General Help Line" for all of their products. The lady told me they couldn't help and that I needed to call Google Play. I hung up on her. So I called the number above for Samsung General Help Line to start over. Surprise, surprise, there was no option for the Google Nexus tablet. So I chose 'wifi-only tablets' and talked with the person there. I explained my situation and she said I needed to call Google and she connected to me to Google. Without waiting to be connected, I hung up. I called the Samsung 877.652.4507 number again. I told them the full story about getting spun around like somebody's little b*+ch, my ass was starting to hurt and that there was no vaseline in sight. The guy apologized and told me I've got the wrong department, but that he's going to transfer me to the right department. I told him he better verify this because my ass is already sore. He gave me the number of the department in case I got disconnected.

Samsung #1: 1.888.987.4357

Same number that the Google people originally gave me! This is where I discovered the problem. I got transferred straight to a person and low-and-behold, it was finally the right person! He helped me out and within 5 minutes, we were off the phone, and they emailed me a free shipping label and ticket number for sending the device back to them. They said 2 days for shipping to them, 5-7 days for repair, and 2 days to return the device to me. Woohoo!

The problem is when you call this number, which is "Samsung Mobile Help Line", they don't have an option for Google Nexus Tablet! But they have 'wifi-only tablets' option for Galaxy and logically you're going to select this one which is wrong. I asked the guy on the phone WTF is going on. He told me that I had the right department now and that he was with the Mobile Department. So that's the trick. You have to select the Mobile option, rather than the tablet option. It was quite frustrating but I wanted to document this for anyone else that might have had similar frustration or be in the same situation.

To recap:
Google Play Team: 1.855.836.3987 (only good if you bought directly from Google Play store)
Samsung Help for Nexus 10 Device: 1.888.987.4357 (if you purchased your Nexus 10 anywhere else besides Google Play store)

I hope this helps someone else. It was quite frustrating but once I got the right person, there was no hesitation on their end to accept my device and fix it. I had to give them the Serial No. listed on the side of the box, my home address, email and that was it.

RonD

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the info. I bought a Galaxy Nexus that I bought form PLAY that needed replaced and got the same run around between Samsung and Google. I finally just gave up and returned the phone for credit!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apkmodyo