The Nexus 10 Android 5.1 Lollipop Thread

mavrrick

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
You could simply load the factory image. Took a whole two minutes on mine to load 5.1. It is also doing a restore now so I am interested to see how complete that is.

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
You could simply load the factory image. Took a whole two minutes on mine to load 5.1. It is also doing a restore now so I am interested to see how complete that is.

Performing a factory image will wipe absolutely everything. And a typical "restore" will not restore things like game scores and progress (I thought Google Play Games would do that... nope, lost everything I didn't MANUALLY make a special backup of).

If you don't want to wait for OTA, then download and flash the OTA update yourself. Then you will lose nothing. Although I do recommend a factory image flash if you were having any problems with the tablet, just be prepared for the pain of getting everything set up again and such.

mavrrick

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Yep. All very true. Although when I posted the OTA wasn't avaliable. Also the restore loaded all my apps and so far I haven't lost much of anything. Even the few games I did have loaded had my progress. I will admit though that I don't do in-app purchases. Those would probably be lost for sure.

Posted via Android Central App

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
Yep. All very true. Although when I posted the OTA wasn't avaliable. Also the restore loaded all my apps and so far I haven't lost much of anything. Even the few games I did have loaded had my progress. I will admit though that I don't do in-app purchases. Those would probably be lost for sure.

I am not aware of any restore process built into Android that restores app data/settings. Is this something new? I am aware of the "restore" that simply loads the apps back, and of course the stuff tied to your Google Account (like contacts), but have never seen anything that restored data for non-Google stuff like Plants vs. Zombies, Candy Crush, etc (unless you do that manually with a third-party app).

mavrrick

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Well the restore was basically what you said. It seems it restored the apps and all my config data. Then each app I open seems to pull data once I log into it. But that is from the apps remote server. So it was pretty painless for me. I know that wouldn't be the case for some though.

TJH132

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Working good here, too. I do notice YouTube videos in the Pulse app stutter until switched to full screen Otherwise, nice update.

Posted via the Android Central App

bobrapp

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
I am not aware of any restore process built into Android that restores app data/settings. Is this something new? I am aware of the "restore" that simply loads the apps back, and of course the stuff tied to your Google Account (like contacts), but have never seen anything that restored data for non-Google stuff like Plants vs. Zombies, Candy Crush, etc (unless you do that manually with a third-party app).

Install Helium from the Play Store. In order to make it work, you need to install a program on your PC. Search the app store for helium backup. Once configured, you can back all of your app data or app and date. I used it successfully when I manually upgraded to 5.1 and NO Root required!

Posted via the Android Central App

TJH132

May 5, 2010
Visit site
First random reboot since at least 4.4.2 today. Google Now blinked out then reboot. I've installed only two apps recently: WeVideo and Amazon app store/Instant Video. I'll keep an eye on this.

RickInHouston

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I updated to Lollipop using the Nexus Root Kit about two weeks ago. This morning my Nexus 10 is going through the process of updating apps. My ten year old son was using it. Is there another minor updates?