For some reason, not super excited on the new Nexus 4

zorak950

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
If I had a Galaxy Nexus, I probably wouldn't be eager to replace it at this point. My Nexus S, however, while having served me extremely well for the last two years, is starting to struggle with newer games and the higher demands of my current multitasking usage.

Being a Nexus aficionado, the only real question for me is whether to replace it with a Galaxy Nexus or whatever the new offering is.

jomcty

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
I suffer from the same dilemma too. If the landscape dock would ever show up for the GNex, I might get that and a GNex to hold me over for something better.

I must say, I was getting frustrated with my NS running JB 4.1.1; but, JB 4.1.2 now runs like GB did on my NS. Much, much better IMO.

theduder

May 9, 2011
Visit site
For me, the overwhelming upgrade in performance is very compelling.

I don't mind no LTE, in fact I would trade it for battery life and earliest possible Android updates.

The only concern I have is the fixed battery. I currently use the 2100 in my Gnex with the stock in reserve. There are many days when I need to use more than one battery to make it through.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
If N4 in white doesn't look as good as I imagine then I will wait for next years Nexus phone.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Central Forums

Encerspay45

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
I'm pretty excited for the probable price change of the Galaxy Nexus to $299.99 :thumbup:

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Android Central Forums

theduder

May 9, 2011
Visit site
I actually take a different position. I think yearly upgrades, while not completely necessary are worthwhile. I do so much on my phone it's kinda worth almost any spend to be on the best technology IMO.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

jtc276

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
I had the same mindset as you. Thought I was never buy anything that isn't a Nexus again. The problem for me now is how ugly the LG Nexus is compared to many top of the line phones like the One X and the Sony T also did you see that beautiful Butterfly J? Google needs to step up there game in the looks of the Nexus phones. So I am to considering on moving to the One X+ with CM10 and keep my GNEX so I still have the latest stock Android to try out.

I have the latest AOKP release on my One X and, while not horrible, it still doesn't come anywhere close to fluidity of my Nexus 7. There will always be bugs when putting custom AOSP roms on a phone that isn't a Nexus. I, personally, am tired of that and will probably be purchasing Nexus phones from now on starting with the Nexus 4. And even though I've yet to see a phone with a better design than the One X, I've come to terms with the fact that design isn't anywhere near the most important thing when you're going to have a case on it anyway. In all honestly, I was much happier with my Galaxy S II for development. HTC devices just have very little development when compared with Nexus and Samsung devices. I'd recommend rethinking your choice of the One X or the Butterfly which will more than likely have absymal battery life due to the 1080p screen (which isn't necessary at all).

Syrous44

Jul 1, 2012
Visit site
Indeed! At $399 for an LG Nexus, odds are that I would pick up a cheap GNX somewhere, slap an extended battery on it and wait another year to see what Google has up their sleeves.

Agreed. Looks to much like sammys gnex with out the curved arch. Other then hardware nothing special. I will wait till next one comes out.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Carlos Thomas

Samsung Galaxy Nexus
Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I am a big Nexus nerd, owned all three Nexus phones. I have never owned and LG product before, but I honestly don't care that the new Nexus is an LG phone, I am sure Google picked them for a reason, and the hardware will be top notch, so being LG brand, doesn't bother me one bit really. I am open minded to a new manufacturer making the next Nexus.

But I have a question. If the next Android release is just 4.2 still Jellybean, the current Galaxy Nexus will get this build ASAP as well, if not right away from Google, custom 4.2 ROM's will be out for the Galaxy Nexus very quickly.

What is the big selling point for Galaxy Nexus owners to buy the new LG Nexus 4 ? The difference between the Nexus-S and Galaxy Nexus was huge last year, that upgrade gave you a larger 720p screen, the first and only phone with the all new ICS 4.0, dual core processor, and whole new designed phone.

But going from the Galaxy Nexus to LG Nexus 4 does not seem as a big a jump as the N-S to G-Nex. The LG Nexus 4 looks almost the same, it runs Jellybean, has same size screen, same phone design, is not the only phone, coming out with a whole new Android 5.0 Key Lime Pie first. I just don't feel the mad rush to run out and get this new LG Nexus 4 if you currently own the Galaxy Nexus. But last year, getting the Galaxy Nexus over my Nexus-S, I was first in line the day it came out, and super pumped up for it, and excited. And it felt like a I did get a brand new next gen device, and major upgrade at the time.

Right now I am not feeling that seem thing for this LG Nexus 4, and it really has nothing to do with it being made by LG, that doesn't phase me too much, it's just everything else feels meh. More like the iPhone4S after the iPhone4, sure it's a better phone and all, but not too much different. Actually iOS5 on the 4S was a bigger upgrade than iOS4, but the old iPhone4 was upgrade to iOS5 too, so even less a reason to upgrade to the i4S if you owned the i4, last year.

Opinions ?

My feeling is, I am not so pumped up because the Android OS, on the new Nexus-4, is nothing brand spanking new, it is a tweaked and better version of Jellybean we already know and love. Where as last year, Android 4.0 ICS, was a MAJOR update, and night and day different, and the Galaxy Nexus was the first and only phone out with it, plus the new 720p screen and larger screen, was one of the first new Android phones out with that type of display last year.

The hardware race is a "rat race". It is not about the hardware. It is about the Operating System and Apps.

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Nexus 4 pre-order reveals specs, Android 4.2 Jelly Bean, October 30th release date | The Verge
Ouch approx $629 for the 8gb version :eek:

Think I will keep my Galaxy Nexus for now, install a 4.2 ROM on it, wait till price comes down. and a 32gb version.

Looks like carphone warehouse is owned by Best Buy....All their phones are more expensive than anybody else. This gives me no inclination what it'll actually be from the play store since every phone is $650. However, Free then to $650? Are they nuts?

Zorachus

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
Looks like carphone warehouse is owned by Best Buy....All their phones are more expensive than anybody else. This gives me no inclination what it'll actually be from the play store since every phone is $650. However, Free then to $650? Are they nuts?

I knew the new Nexus 4 would not be $349 cheap, but was not expecting it to be close to $650 either. I was hoping for a realistic price range between $400 - $500. Guess we have to wait till Monday.

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I knew the new Nexus 4 would not be $349 cheap, but was not expecting it to be close to $650 either. I was hoping for a realistic price range between $400 - $500. Guess we have to wait till Monday.

Yea....If you go to BB right now and try to buy a Galaxy S2 its $650. While you can get it at Walmart for $299. So this fortunately is likely not a good inclination of what it'll actually be since they make their money from selling contracts.

At the same time.....The S3 seems to be something like $943 on that site? We can get that here for quite a bit less. So who knows maybe its telling something of how cheap this might end up being straight from Google.

Eric Kane

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I have to admit, the hate on this phone from the very beginning has been pretty surprising. The second "8GB" was printed there was a huge mass of people who instantly dismissed this phone, completely ignoring the fact that there will be a higher storage version of this phone either at launch or fairly soon afterwards. They also had not mentioned LTE being available, either, but this isn't anything we shouldn't expect to begin with. More than likely, there will be a carrier-branded verison of this phone with both higher storage and LTE available and the majority of you will forget you even said anything to begin with.

That being said, the Nexus 4 is actually a pretty impressive phone. The screen, having used tech from the LG Optimus G, is either the top of the class or perhaps second or third behind incredible screens from the One X and iPhone 5. It's also supposed to be more efficient and without a pentile arrangement, something Galaxy Nexus owners cried and whined about endlessly last year. So on that front, the screen is going to be a marked improvement over the Galaxy Nexus. The camera isn't supposed to be on par with the iPhone 5/One X/Galaxy S3, but it is supposed to be a pretty big improvement over the Galaxy Nexus, which is one of the other things people weren't happy about with the phone.

Couple all that with a quad core processor that is destroying everything in it's path in benchmarks, a 2100 mah li-polymer battery that is apparently outperforming the Galaxy S3 (plus the possibility of Project Roadrunner increasing battery life/the True IPS display being more efficient), and the build quality being better, I'm pretty impressed by this phone. It's the things we can't test yet like signal strength, call quality, speaker volume, etc, that I'm waiting to see about. I have very little to go on as far as LG goes, but the Optimus G is getting really positive reviews and that's a good sign.

Is it a no-brainer to get this phone over a Galaxy Nexus or S3? Not sure yet. It has the potential to be, certainly. If all those small things are excellent on this phone and Android 4.2 is a big upgrade, I'm definitely going to grab one. I'm hoping more of us are excited about this phone after Monday.

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Where's the white one? I want it now. The Optimus G in white looks great and Nexus 4 with the chrome accent in white would look a lot better. Storage isn't really big deal as long as give me an option for 16GB. What is killing me is I don't want have wait next year for a White N4.

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Where's the white one? I want it now. The Optimus G in white looks great and Nexus 4 with the chrome accent in white would look a lot better. Storage isn't really big deal as long as give me an option for 16GB. What is killing me is I don't want have wait next year for a White N4.

I completely agree with you!!! Want the white....But check this out.

Found a few LG Nexus 4 promo pictures... - xda-developers

Seems to be launching in white, hope Google play version will have white also.

n4 color.jpg

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87