Already have nexus 7 - should I get a nexus 4?

snaqvi91

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
I'm fine with my old BlackBerry Bold 9700 but it would be nice to have a phone that I can use to connect my nexus 7 to the internet with, which my BlackBerry can't do. However it seems like there would be a lot of overlap between the nexus 4 and 7. What do you think?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

snaqvi91

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
Apart from having 3.5G internet what significant benefits would a nexus 4+7 combo have over a nexus 7+ bold 9700 combo? Since I have Wi-Fi most of the time the second combo seems to work fine for me but I don't know what more I can do since I was just recently exposed to next gen software with the nexus 7.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm fine with my old BlackBerry Bold 9700 but it would be nice to have a phone that I can use to connect my nexus 7 to the internet with, which my BlackBerry can't do. However it seems like there would be a lot of overlap between the nexus 4 and 7. What do you think?

Is there anything mission critical on the 9700?

(how many BBM friends do you have? lol)

Get the Nexus 4.

snaqvi91

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
Well my dad is on bbm and I haven't really come across a solid alternative to bbm. Whatsapp would get the job done but it doesn't seem very fast or even nice on the BlackBerry. Just to be clear I need to have solid and reliable communication with my dad. The delivery and read receipts on bbm are also terrific.

Apart from that I'm just addicted to the BlackBerry keyboard. I've tried Swype, swift key and the default keyboard but to be honest I still prefer the BlackBerry keyboard.

I'm asking because given the level of overlap there is between the two nexus devices, it seems unreasonable to put down $309 (cad) just so I can get 3.5G internet. What is there that the nexus 4 can do that the nexus 7 can't? I can carry my nexus 7 quite easily in my pockets and have Wi-Fi most of the time.

There's no doubt that the n4 is a lot better than my bold 9700 but a better comparison is between the two combos I mentioned earlier. In order to make this comparison I ask what significant advantages would the n4 offer over the n7.

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Well my dad is on bbm and I haven't really come across a solid alternative to bbm. Whatsapp would get the job done but it doesn't seem very fast or even nice on the BlackBerry. Just to be clear I need to have solid and reliable communication with my dad. The delivery and read receipts on bbm are also terrific.

Apart from that I'm just addicted to the BlackBerry keyboard. I've tried Swype, swift key and the default keyboard but to be honest I still prefer the BlackBerry keyboard.

I'm asking because given the level of overlap there is between the two nexus devices, it seems unreasonable to put down $309 (cad) just so I can get 3.5G internet. What is there that the nexus 4 can do that the nexus 7 can't? I can carry my nexus 7 quite easily in my pockets and have Wi-Fi most of the time.

There's no doubt that the n4 is a lot better than my bold 9700 but a better comparison is between the two combos I mentioned earlier. In order to make this comparison I ask what significant advantages would the n4 offer over the n7.

There are no advantages except that its a phone and constantly stays connected to the internet. Obviously there are no differences since they are both nexus devices.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

jd914

Banned
Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
You're fine with a Bold 9700? I had that phone back in 2009 and got rid of it in 2010. More power to you.

I have a Nexus 7 and getting a Nexus 4 without even contemplating it.

snaqvi91

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
Well the bold 9700 gives me some features that I find very useful as mentioned in my earlier post and I got the nexus 7 to be able to experience next gen software and all that comes with it. But now I'm very tempted to get a nexus 4 but when my head works I'm having a hard time justifying $309 just for being always connected.

EnDroidable

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site

U have big pockets. But yeah I think the nexus device will be a good device to upgrade to. Who knows when another BlackBerry will hit the market.

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
My Nexus 7 needs a playmate and my old HTC Thunderbolt doesn't play nice. A white Nexus 4 is exactly what my N7 and I need right now.

Last edited:

snaqvi91

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
Ok you've lost me with the food references. Are you saying that both the nexus devices complement each other well rather than competing for a lack of better words?

snaqvi91

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
Sorry for asking so many questions but how do they complement each other apart from the data tethering part? They're the same software, have similar screen sizes, probably similar performance.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Sorry for asking so many questions but how do they complement each other apart from the data tethering part? They're the same software, have similar screen sizes, probably similar performance.

I'd bet $ that the Nexus 4 will be faster.

I also love having a mini and large version of Android. It's kinda neat :).

Ptrm

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I have the 7 and am getting the 4 because it's a phone and I can use it on the go. I don't use the 7 away from the house so it has a big appeal to me.

Sopranogurl

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
I think the biggest thing you're struggling with is trying to justify it in your head as a need. Do you need a cell phone? No, but they make life easier. Maybe it's because you're used to your BlackBerry, but if you had an android device you might realize how much better and easier it is than a 9700. Also, in terms of typing, physical keyboards are great, but once you get used to the touch screen, it's just as fast. In fact, I now have trouble typing on my 9700 since I'm more used to Swype.
As far as I know, there are no apps out that are as good as bbm, but there are several alternatives that are close. I don't personally use any, but it might not hurt to do a Google search and try a few out. And if you do, try them on your Nexus 7 too since an app that's not so great on BlackBerry might be really great on Android.
That said, I think if you did get the Nexus 4 you would soon realize that there are a lot more reasons to switch than 3.5g and a Wi-Fi hotspot. It's great to not have to carry your tablet everywhere. Google maps is amazing, even if you do have GPS in your car, when it can't locate something, you need to check real-time traffic or you're in a friend's car, it can be invaluable. Then there's the browser, which is night and day better than BlackBerry and the extra screen space really helps too. Also, you can get more apps that are cheaper and way better and allow you to do just about everything you want to with your phone. And having Google back up your calendar and contacts over the air automatically can be a real lifesaver sometimes- not to mention, your calendar will be on both devices. There are plenty more reasons that aren't coming to me off the top of my head, but they easily make up for losing a physical keyboard and bbm. Plus it will be faster to go between two devices that work the same and you can always take advantage of the return policy if you're just too attached to your BlackBerry.