Nano sim adapter

jd914

Banned
Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
Got my Nexus 4 this evening.

Tried my nano sim from my iPhone 5 and my wife's micro sim from her 4S, both gave me a "No SIM" error on Nexus. Then I read this thread and tried the reboot. Both sims work fine after power cycle of Nexus. No call to at&t.

So you get data with a iPhone 5 nano sim? That's great I have nothing to worry about then.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Anthony Alvernaz

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I was receiving no data service with the iPhone 5 nano SIM directly in the Nexus 4 with the adapter. I called and had my SIM provisioned for the Nexus but then when I moved the SIM back to the iPhone 5 I would not receive LTE signal. I then tried provisioning the nano SIM for the Lumia 900 and now I get LTE on iPhone and HSPA on the Nexus 4. It appears the best thing to do is to get ahold of a non-iPhone LTE device and get the SIM provisioned for that as it seems whatever provisioning is done there is most cross-platform compatible.

Good luck!

Anthony Alvernaz

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Actually, it appears there are still some issues. If the nano SIM is placed in the iPhone 5 and LTE is disabled, the iPhone connects at HSPA+ with DL speeds of about 7mbps. With the SIM in the Nexus 4 it is only connecting at HSPA with DL speeds of about 3mbps.

slowman

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
I dont want my SIM getting stuck in the N4... Will ATT give me a micro SIM if I go to their store and ask them.. just provisioned for use on the N4... Then deactivating the nano SIM in the iPhone 5? Then if I wanted to switch back to the iP5 for any reason, call em and ask them to provision the SIM for iPhone? No/yes? Just deal with the adapter?

Anthony Alvernaz

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
AT&T will give you a micro SIM if you go down to the store but should you choose to use the iPhone 5 again, you'll need to either cut down the micro SIM or go down to the store again and request a nano SIM as they refuse to activate any previously activated SIM cards.

slowman

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
AT&T will give you a micro SIM if you go down to the store but should you choose to use the iPhone 5 again, you'll need to either cut down the micro SIM or go down to the store again and request a nano SIM as they refuse to activate any previously activated SIM cards.

Okay thanks for the info. Looks like I'll try my luck with this adapter and the nano SIM in the N4. I've done this before taking out my iPhone (micro SIM from a 4) and using it on the HTC Inspire and it worked fine, didn't have to call/provision anything, it just worked. Hoping it's that seamless this time.. but not sure since LTE is in the game now.

Anthony Alvernaz

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Okay thanks for the info. Looks like I'll try my luck with this adapter and the nano SIM in the N4. I've done this before taking out my iPhone (micro SIM from a 4) and using it on the HTC Inspire and it worked fine, didn't have to call/provision anything, it just worked. Hoping it's that seamless this time.. but not sure since LTE is in the game now.

You're welcome! Yeah I'd say the adapter is fine. It is held in the slot quite snugly with the tray. You will probably need to call, but as I mentioned earlier see if you can get ahold of a non-iPhone LTE device and have AT&T provision it to that for maximum compatibility.

illmatic41

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
I have an iPhone5 and just got my Nexus 4. Got things working using a nano to micro sim adapter and this APN:

Name: (whatever you want it to be)
APN: phone
Proxy:
Port:
Username:
Password:
Server:
MMSC: http://mmsc.mobile.att.net
MMS Proxy: proxy.mobile.att.net
MMS port: 80
MCC: 310
MNC: 410
Authentication type:
APN type: default,mms,supl

I rebooted after entering and activating the new APN...might not have to though.

tkao2025

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
hmmm....was thinking about getting a Nexus 4 on AT&T, but sounds like so far I would have to call AT&T every time I switch the SIM back to my iPhone 5. Guess I will keep checking back on this thread to see if anyone has finally found a solution. I never had problems on the iPhone 4S with swapping sims. Always can switch between the Nexus and 4S without problems.

gcurtisjr

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
sounds like so far I would have to call AT&T every time I switch the SIM back to my iPhone 5.

This is what I was told by the representative I reached. Instead of calling to switch back and forth, I have found it much easier to use their chat system once you log in to your account. I get someone right away and they know what to do.

jd914

Banned
Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
I have an iPhone5 and just got my Nexus 4. Got things working using a nano to micro sim adapter and this APN:

Proxy:
Port:
Username:
Password:
Server:
Authentication type:

I rebooted after entering and activating the new APN...might not have to though.

I knew it was a possible APN issue. The AT&T network isn't recognizing the N4 therefore not enabling you to get data. Adding an APN with the right information will more than likely solve the issue. This is nothing new to unlocked devices and the N4 is no different.

BTW iPhone data plans are tricky and this is the issue you might run into when using a non ATT sim in an unlocked iPhone or a sim provisioned for an iPhone on an unlocked device.

slowman

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site

Proxy:
Port:
Username:
Password:
Server:
Authentication type:

This worked for mine! Didn't have to call anyone or anything.. Thanks!

bluebuury

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
How fast is the data? Is it incredibly slow like some users have experienced with the galaxy nexus or is as fast as it was on HSPA+ on iPhone 5?

bothfly

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
Sorry,
But what goes here:
Authentication type:
On my N4 is says:
Authentication Type.. is this Blank?
Then APN TYPE:...what goes here?
Then APN Protocol...what goes here?
APN roaming protocol... what goes here

Thanks

slowman

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
Sorry,
But what goes here:
Authentication type:
On my N4 is says:
Authentication Type.. is this Blank?
Then APN TYPE:...what goes here?
Then APN Protocol...what goes here?
APN roaming protocol... what goes here

Thanks

I followed this to a "T" and it works flawlessly.. using my iPhone 5 nano SIM in my N4.

Proxy:
Port:
Username:
Password:
Server:
Authentication type:

joevac10

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I can confirm as well that this does indeed work.

So everyone with a iPhone 5 that are switcing back and with with a Nexus4. I plan on doing the same. What brand of nano sim adapter do you have? I just bought a Noosy off ebay. Also, how did you copy your contacts from iPhone 5 to the Nexus4?

Thanks,

bmolloy

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
I have been living in the world of iPhone / Android for quite a few years and have probably the best solution for your contacts sync between both phones (and it goes further to include calendars and desktop contacts/calendars as well). The key is to use your google account for your contacts and calendars. This will take some work the first time you do it, but it is totally worth it if you plan on cheating on Android when you need a phone that fits in your skinny jeans.

With Android when you log in with your gmail account everything just works, contacts, calendars, etc. With the iPhone you have to set up your gmail account as an exchange server so it keeps everything sync'd between the two. This sounds harder than it is... Here are some directions on how to do it: Set up Google Sync with your iOS device - Gmail Help

Once you do that your contacts sync straight over. I do not remember if I could merge all of the contacts off of my iPhone into my gmail contacts the first time I did this, I might have had to manually enter them. There are other options out there, you can export your address book into a .csv file, you can do this from and iPhone or whatever desktop calendar program you are sync'd to (google your specific set up ... export to csv). Next you want to import that CSV file into GMail: Importing CSV files - Gmail Help . Once you are in the gmail contacts you can clean it up by removing duplicates etc., this is where my OCD really kicks in, you have to have a clean contacts list.

With this set up you have to think of your contacts list as not just phone numbers but also emails and addresses, it brings it all together really well.

To get a little more nerdy now that I am on a roll, I actually use a "family gmail account" address book as our address book / calendars for our entire household and it is sync'd to everyones phones and computers. You can go this route if you want to keep everything centralized, it really works out well for me as I can make sure everything is always updated on all of the phones (we have both android and ios in my house) and computers (macs, chrome book, and one damn stupid windows machine at work), without even doing anything.

The best part about this is that you do all of your contact management in your gmail account. When you add a contact in gmail it is instantly updated on Android and iOS. You can also add a contact on either phone and have it show up everywhere as well.

illmatic41

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Yes, now my sim card tray is stuck, but not with the sim card inside, which is good :)
I am contacting Google about this now, I am on hold. I see that some people have to same intentions as I do with switching back and fourth between iPhone 5 and Nexus 4.

Did you ever get the sim card tray out? My dumb@$$ pushed in the micro sim tray with the adapter without the nanosim and now it's stuck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87