How: Use N4 as a free hotspot on TMO

dougltc

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
I have never had a GSM phone so I am unsure how much the TMO rep was BSing me...

He made it sound like I will be unable to use my rooted N4 as a free WiFi hotspot..

Currently I have WiFi tether on my CDMA HTC Evo 4G and it works great ...

The TMO rep made it sound like TMO will detect me running WiFi tether and somehow disable it...

Is that true?

Thanks...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

gone down south

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
There's been extensive discussion here, just search back a couple weeks.
The upshot is that, yes, they can detect if you're tethering. Whether or not they do anything about it seems hit or miss.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
And, BTW, you don't need to root your N4 to be able to use it as a hotspot. The functionality is right there in the stock OS: Settings -> More... -> Tethering & portable hotspot.

So far as getting caught is concerned, I expect it will also depend to some extent on what you are tethering to. A desktop PC? A tablet?

And, what you are doing with the tethered connection. Web browsing? Checking email? Downloading files?

ssgmun5000

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
Don't know how they know but I have been flagged several times. I get a splash page trying to upsell me the hotspot. Funny is that it seems to get unblocked once the new billing cycle begins.

dougltc

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
The only thing that may cause a red flag is if you are using ungodly amounts of data.

I am going to pay attention to the "pigs get fed, hogs get slaughtered" axiom which my tax accountant shared with me 20 years ago.

I have a perfectly fine ISP @ home and will only be using it for my WiFi tablets on the go (N7 & iPad 4s)

Thanks!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums