Evaluating the data used in VOIP apps

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
A lot of people are looking to use their Nexus 4 with TMobile's data-only plan (I am too), so I thought it might be useful to look at how much data the different VOIP apps use. Most of these apps have just been sitting on the phone unused (since I don't have TMobile service just yet - waiting for my contract to end) and since I've tried some of these on multiple devices, I should be able to offer some breakout of what's just idling usage and what's talk usage.

I have Skype on a few different devices (they offer 1 free phone call per device and I wanted to test it), and on only one of them did I make a long call.

The Data Usage
* Skype 8 days on device with 30-second call: Foreground: 642KB, Background: 1.72MB
* GrooveIP 8 days on device with 19m31s of calls: Foreground: 31.54MB, Background: 7.24MB
* SipDroid 8 days on device with 4m23s of calls: Foreground: 13.22MB, Background: 1.43MB
* Skype 2 days on device with 5m11s of calls: Foreground: 2.07MB, Background: 2.17MB

Also important is the amount of battery the apps use. If you have a VOIP app that makes your battery run down 2x as fast, that's not very useful. Skype is a huge battery hog.

The Battery Usage
* Skype 9 days on device with 30-second call: When signed in, idling 10-13%, signed out, idling 3%
* Skype 3 days on device with 5m11s of calls: When signed in, idling 7% (it's only been signed in)
* All other apps don't use enough battery to even show up

What data usage is everyone else seeing?

Last edited:

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
I have not used any of the apps over the last 24 hours, so here's the amount of data they've used in that time (just sitting there):

Note: I got this one day idling usage by seeing the total amount used and subtracting it from the numbers in my original post. So this is really good info to show actual idling data usage.

The Data Usage
* Skype 1 day on device signed out: Foreground: 0KB, Background: 0MB
* GrooveIP 1 day on device idling: Foreground: 0.01MB, Background: 0.42MB
* SipDroid 1 day on device idling: Foreground: 0MB, Background: 0.45MB
* Skype 1 day on device idling: Foreground: 0.13MB, Background: 0.3MB

Sipdroid, GrooveIP and the last Skype install all have persistent notifications telling me they're online.

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
Anyone else have any info on either data or battery usage from any of the VOIP apps? Vonage, GrooveIP, Sipdroid, Skype, etc?

TheLibertarian

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
The Data Usage
* Skype 8 days on device with 30-second call: Foreground: 642KB, Background: 1.72MB
* GrooveIP 8 days on device with 19m31s of calls: Foreground: 31.54MB, Background: 7.24MB
* SipDroid 8 days on device with 4m23s of calls: Foreground: 13.22MB, Background: 1.43MB
* Skype 2 days on device with 5m11s of calls: Foreground: 2.07MB, Background: 2.17MB

I don't see much point in comparing how much data each app uses when you're using each app differently. None of those figures are really comparable to each other. Try something more simple, like a 3 minute phone call and each, then compare.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non