Android os?

AbuYazeedUK

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
It is not using "20 something percent" of your battery.

Of the actual battery usage in the time frame under consideration, the Android OS used 20%. The Screen used some other percentage; the phone and Wi-Fi and Maps and etc used some other percentage. All of these combined used a total of 100% of the battery usage thus far.

The reason Android OS is at 20% is simply that you are not doing much with the other parts of your phone. If you never use the phone, maps, browser, and so on, you might very well see Android OS rise to 60% or even 80%. OTOH, if you talk extensively on the phone, you will see it rise to the top of the list and other items - like Android OS - sink lower.

I took the phone off charge at 100% and did not touch it for about 5hours and the battery was down to about 70 - 75% with Android OS at the top saying 30% is that normal because i didn't use the phone?

Hubertsng

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I took the phone off charge at 100% and did not touch it for about 5hours and the battery was down to about 70 - 75% with Android OS at the top saying 30% is that normal because i didn't use the phone?

Kind of yeah. Android os and system take a lot of memory if you dont use it compared to phone idle. Well thats what haopened to my nexus

Sent from my Nexus 4

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
this is definitely not normal. Your phone should be in deep sleep mode and use almost nothing. If I turn my screen off at 100% and turn it back on 5 hours later it will use maybe 3%. Something is amiss in your apps or settings. Imo.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

AbuYazeedUK

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
this is definitely not normal. Your phone should be in deep sleep mode and use almost nothing. If I turn my screen off at 100% and turn it back on 5 hours later it will use maybe 3%. Something is amiss in your apps or settings. Imo.

What do you recommend i do wipe and reinstall? i am on AOKP ROM everything was fine so i can't blame the ROM and it only started happening last night so do i need to remember what i changed maybe?

acegolfer

Aug 5, 2010
Visit site

Are you using any VoIP app including groove IP? These apps require connection keep alive, which is reported in android os.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Hubertsng

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Are you using any VoIP app including groove IP? These apps require connection keep alive, which is reported in android os.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

I keep groove ip on the entire time my nexus 4 is on and it never goes above 20% on android os. (Only when phone is idle, snaller when screen time is a good amount)

Sent from my Nexus 4

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
What do you recommend i do wipe and reinstall? i am on AOKP ROM everything was fine so i can't blame the ROM and it only started happening last night so do i need to remember what i changed maybe?
did you install anything? I would wait a few days before doing a reset.

Karrott9

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm at 40% battery on under 3 hours of battery 2 hours of screen time. But I've been playing games non stop. About to charge it for the 4th time in 2 days of having the phone.

AbuYazeedUK

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I have Viber, Tango and Skype but I'm not signed into Skype. This screenshot is with mobile data turned off and me not touching the phone since it's been off charge about 3 hours, only lost 4% battery.

uploadfromtaptalk1357553864510.jpg

m3lover1

Trusted Member
May 4, 2010
Visit site
Install better battery stats to check if any weird wake locks are keeping your phone from deep sleeping. I am currently on minco v6 ROM with Franco r28. Fully charged last night at 11. Woke up at 6 and battery was at 5%.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Numerous background processes can play a role here. For example:

Auto update of apps (I set all mine to manual)
Live wallpapers
Various home screen widgets (weather and stock market tracking widgets, for example)
Auto email retrieval, especially Exchange server, especially multiple accounts

AbuYazeedUK

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Numerous background processes can play a role here. For example:

Auto update of apps (I set all mine to manual)
Live wallpapers
Various home screen widgets (weather and stock market tracking widgets, for example)
Auto email retrieval, especially Exchange server, especially multiple accounts

I have everything set to manual apart from 3 email accounts, no widgets or live wallpapers. Someone mentioned Android OS being top because the phone hasn't been used i think this is correct but what i was more concerned about was the battery losing about 30% in 5 hours without me touching the phone (screen off).

m3lover1

Trusted Member
May 4, 2010
Visit site
Really, install better battery stats and check the kernel wake locks and partial wake locks. One time my battery was draining really fast and I had suspend backoff kernel wake lock keep waking my phone up. Took a long time but realized my 5g WiFi connection at home caused that for some reason. After switching to reg WiFi, that wake lock was gone and my phone returned to deep sleep.

Coincidentally, my android os was also sky high on the battery list, although more than 20%. It was about 40% iirc

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
There you go took it off charge 4hrs ago and didn't touch it screen off

I think you have a faulty unit. Those numbers aren't horrible as sometimes the battery will drain faster for the furst15% or so. I would do a factory reset to see if you get the same results. If not then it's software. If you do I would call google for a replacement. Lots of people who got replacements had better results.

AbuYazeedUK

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I think you have a faulty unit. Those numbers aren't horrible as sometimes the battery will drain faster for the furst15% or so. I would do a factory reset to see if you get the same results. If not then it's software. If you do I would call google for a replacement. Lots of people who got replacements had better results.

Is there anything in those screen shots that's keeping my phone awake? I thought this was quite good compare to a few days ago when i lost 30% in 5hrs with the phone untouched. Should it be better than this?

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Is there anything in those screen shots that's keeping my phone awake? I thought this was quite good compare to a few days ago when i lost 30% in 5hrs with the phone untouched. Should it be better than this?

I think that looked pretty normal. Here's mine from today. Wasn't using it much. A short phone call and minimal usage.
uploadfromtaptalk1357676934503.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1357676949075.jpg