Weak WiFi on N4

valpd

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
My N4's WiFi signal is much weaker than on my wife's iPhone 5 and my son's iPad Mini. What gives?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

soma4society

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
My N4's WiFi signal is much weaker than on my wife's iPhone 5 and my son's iPad Mini. What gives?

Mine is weaker than on my iPhone 4S, which is the device it replaced. I thought about it for the first week or so...and that was it. While my old phone would have five reliable WiFi bars on my home network, the N4 seems to fluctuate between 3 and 4. But as 3/5ths of a signal seems to deliver data just as effectively as 4 (or 5), I no longer dwell on it.

valpd

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
I am about 20 feet away from my TimeWarner router/modem and the bars go from 3 to 2 to 1 as I walk further away.
WiFi Analyzer says -69 dbm on Channel 11.

Last edited:

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I am about 20 feet away from my TimeWarner router/modem and the bars go from 3 to 2 to 1 as I walk further away.
WiFi Analyzer says -69 dbm on Channel 11.

Do you have issues downloading? Run speed test to see how it ranks. It it's really low you may have a defective device. My wifi is strong close to my router but can be a bit lower 3 floors up.

valpd

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Do you have issues downloading? Run speed test to see how it ranks. It it's really low you may have a defective device. My wifi is strong close to my router but can be a bit lower 3 floors up.

Here is what I get on my cable internet with 2 bars.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1360127632805.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1360127632805.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 112

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Here is what I get on my cable internet with 2 bars.

I'm not sure what type of connection you have but that is not the worst I have seen. I have a very fast 100mb connection and I am getting 34203kbps DL and 5410kbps UL. So unless you are paying over $100/ mo. for your internet I would say that is normal. If on the other hand you are accessing the internet and it is super slow them you may have an issue. I find that downloading a large app is a good test. Try that and see how fast it finishes the job.

valpd

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure what type of connection you have but that is not the worst I have seen. I have a very fast 100mb connection and I am getting 34203kbps DL and 5410kbps UL. So unless you are paying over $100/ mo. for your internet I would say that is normal. If on the other hand you are accessing the internet and it is super slow them you may have an issue. I find that downloading a large app is a good test. Try that and see how fast it finishes the job.

I am trying to figure out why the bars drop when I walk 15-20 feet away. It goes down to only 1 or 2 bars.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I am trying to figure out why the bars drop when I walk 15-20 feet away. It goes down to only 1 or 2 bars.

I'm not sure. But if your actually speed is still good then it doesn't really matter.

andr0idralphie

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I'd blame your router and/or your positioning thereof. I've an ASUS RT-N66U, I get a billion bars everywhere 2.4GHz or 5GHz. The little bar pictures don't matter if the throughput's the same, though.

Greg C

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
I'd blame your router and/or your positioning thereof. I've an ASUS RT-N66U, I get a billion bars everywhere 2.4GHz or 5GHz. The little bar pictures don't matter if the throughput's the same, though.
That's exactly what I was thinking too. Try a different router. Belkin is good.

valpd

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site

The router placement is Time Warner's. Two feet high on a desk in my son's room.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
The router placement is Time Warner's. Two feet high on a desk in my son's room.

You don't say if the 15 - 20 ft includes intervening walls. Construction methods vary and, depending on the age of the home, a wall or two can have a significant impact on signal strength.

red5ive1

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I think the phone just shows weaker reception than it's actually getting (compared to other phones / devices). I only show two bars when I'm on a different floor than my router and I used to show four bars with my iPhone 4s. However, like others have noted, throughput is the same with this phone as the 4s and other wireless devices, so I don't really think there's an issue.

dan1431

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
I actually get better WI-FI reception on my Nexus 4 than a friends GS3 or a colleague's iPhone5.

Granted I have an amazing router (the N900) with great signal distribution throughout my house on both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands.

Dan

Last edited:

joklun

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
Sv: Weak WiFi on N4

got a Asus rt-n56 router at home. When I connect my phone to the WiFi I usually got good speeds (30mbps down, 13mbps up) to start with. But after some time the download speed drops to 8mbps and stays there. Sometimes it helps to toggle WiFi on/off or to restart the router to get the speed up again but after some minutes the speed goes down again... This is pretty annoying and the speed drop is really noticeable when I download apps from play store or files from internet.
I have tried different router firmwares, different channels and other settings but nothing seems to help. Non of my other devices act like this, they all contain great speeds. This includes my nexus 7 which runs the same stock android 4.2.1.
At the university the speed has been great all the time though... Do you think it's a hardware or software problem?

Sent from my nexus 4

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ecstasy89