Had to laugh - "We've never heard of Google"

Kevin Harvell

May 31, 2012
Visit site
Tmobile store prices are $150 over Play Store, because Google is subsiding the phones they sell.

And Walmart doesn't sell the N4. The Galaxy Nexus, maybe, but not the Nexus 4.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Actually they do. Not all Wal-Mart locations will have them, but the supercenter by our house has them for $150 on contract, and $550 without.

Our local store had two last night.

Went to another supercenter about 20 miles away earlier in the day (which has a much better, and separate wireless center) and that store did not have them either in stock, or display.

sting7k

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
I was in TMobile today, switching over from the contract to prepaid, and someone brought back an N4 8gb phone. When asked why, they told the salesman "we have never heard of Google, oure friends havent either, get a Samsung."

So when the salesman asked what they use for a search engine, they looked at each other like deer caught in headlights. It all came down to either paying more for a Samsung phone or getting a case for the N4. When they heard the difference in price, they elected to keep the phone and just buy the case instead.

They couldn't even come with Yahoo as an answer? I wonder what they do with their smart phone if they've never heard of Google.

Andrew Cottle

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
Tmobile store prices are $150 over Play Store, because Google is subsiding the phones they sell.

And Walmart doesn't sell the N4. The Galaxy Nexus, maybe, but not the Nexus 4.

Just swung by my local Walmart and happened to notice that indeed the Nexus 4 is sold there. It was being offered for $149 with a 2 year contract. Definitely was not the G Nexus.

ConTejas

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
That's great that you have a pleasant experience. Unfortunately, there are some people (like myself) who just can't seem to understand why our orders seem to be stuck in limbo w/o any support from Google. I will try again, though, on Monday. When you ordered, what shipping estimate did you receive? The 2-3 week or 1-2 week? I'm going to try to order the 16 GB this time around and see if there's any difference.

I ordered 2 16gb N4s on 2/6/13. It said 2-3 weeks shipping. I received a shipping notification later that day and had them in my hands less than 48hrs later on 2/8/13. Certainly not trying to salt your wound, but that was my experience.

ConTejas

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Just swung by my local Walmart and happened to notice that indeed the Nexus 4 is sold there. It was being offered for $149 with a 2 year contract. Definitely was not the G Nexus.

Do the math my friend. Most of the time it is MUCH cheaper to pay $350 (hell even $600+) and be month to month over the same 24 month period.

gone down south

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Look at it in context, though, almost no-one has heard of the "Google Phone". The Nexus tablets have some traction in the general market, even if they still blend into the whole Galaxy Tab/Asus/Kindle mess in the average person's mind. The phones aren't even on the radar of most people.

Andrew Cottle

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
i agree, i wouldn't buy the N4 on contract as it is not a good deal. i was just replying to the previous poster how mentioned he wasn't aware of the N4 being for sale at Walmart.

Tall Mike 2145

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
How can they have actually never heard of Google? I'm baffled.

It's the same way there have been people who think it isn't legal to run something other than Windows on their computer, or can't understand why their computer can't connect to the Internet at home when they don't have an ISP, or can't see why they should do this ?charging" thing to make their laptop work. It's called ignorance or, in some cases, willful ignorance.

PaulMilander

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
It's the same way there have been people who think it isn't legal to run something other than Windows on their computer, or can't understand why their computer can't connect to the Internet at home when they don't have an ISP, or can't see why they should do this ?charging" thing to make their laptop work. It's called ignorance or, in some cases, willful ignorance.

When my dad got his first cellphone two years ago, he called me on his landline cause his cellphone was broken because it didnt have a dial tone lol

mzanette

Zee
Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
Never hearing of "Bing" or "Ask Jeeves", maybe...but Google? C'mon now.
That's pretty ridiculous close to impossible.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

I always get a good laugh when someone asks me a question and I say "let me Bing that". Good times!

Chex313

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
The idea that they've never heard of Google is preposterous, it makes less sense considering the phone is made by LG.
My take on the OP was that they were confused... When reminded of their search engine "they looked at each other like deer caught in headlights". Meaning they just then realized boy are we dumb! Its that Google!

Thats just my take on the OP.

No one I know, knows what a Google branded phone is. Most of them still walk into a carrier and takes the advice of idiots, who probably don't know what a Google branded phone is either.