Please Help: "Mediaserver" is draining my battery. Solutions?

lolUmad

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
Not sure how to disable Gnow, but you should just be able to drag Currents to the top of the screen where it says App Info (after you've long pressed it) then you'll see the disable option.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Google Now doesn't drain the battery as fast as Currents did for me but I do notice the difference with it on and off especially on my Nexus 7.

Google Now does not increase the mediaserver usage.

Thanks to both of you.

Currents is disabled. I hope this works.

Tall Mike 2145

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
"Google" is "Google Now". When I've checked on disabling it, it asks if I want to get rid of the updated version and replace it with the factory version. Evidently, for some reason, you cannot disable the updated version; only uninstall it and disable the factory one. Currents disables instantly, no issues.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
"Google" is "Google Now". When I've checked on disabling it, it asks if I want to get rid of the updated version and replace it with the factory version. Evidently, for some reason, you cannot disable the updated version; only uninstall it and disable the factory one. Currents disables instantly, no issues.

I just turn it off. Today I turned it on all day and again noticed that it uses more battery power than with it off. I really don't know if it's worth it. Not sure I really need what it tells me.

mdevlin3107

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
I have found that turning off Google Now will only help with the battery. It doesn't have anything to do with Mediaserver. Try disabling Currents in settings / apps.

I have disabled Currents and my mediaserver is currently still using more battery life than my screen. However, a refresh of the battery stats and at 3 hours i have only used 3% which is much better than I was getting. I think you have saved me! Thanks!

mostafa farrakha

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
Guys I found a solution for the media server issue. I removed my media player widget and the YouTube widget from the home screens. After that I did a restart and charged the phone. Now it's been on for 6 and a a half hours and the battery is at 69%. I'm on a galaxy s3 btw. Hope it helps

Doc Marten

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
I haven't had any issues with Media Server using most of the battery until I moved some songs over from my PC to my phone 10 days ago. Now if I was listening to those songs I'd understand media server using as much battery as it is but I haven't listened to any music on the phone for a week now and every single day, Media Server is way ahead in the battery usage stakes.

Also, Currents. I've had my phone nearly 3 months now and I use Currents frequently and have had no issues with Currents and Media Server so in my case I don't believe there's an issue there. There should be some way of determining what Media Server is doing on my phone.

Brayniak

Jul 20, 2011
Visit site
Go into settings/apps, disable currents or open currents and disable syncing in settings. Also, turn off Google now.

That does not work, My Mediaserver battery usage is at 81%. And disabling Google Now is like getting an Iphone 5 and disabling SIRI......After trying literally EVERY suggestion online i managed to get it down from 81% to 73%. I see people on here complaining about 15% pffft...........

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-03-24-13-02-42.png
    Screenshot_2013-03-24-13-02-42.png
    169.9 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I never said disabling Google now would lower media server usage. it just lowers battery usage.

That does not work, My Mediaserver battery usage is at 81%. And disabling Google Now is like getting an Iphone 5 and disabling SIRI......After trying literally EVERY suggestion online i managed to get it down from 81% to 73%. I see people on here complaining about 15% pffft...........

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Alo people are confused at what Google Now is. It is not the same as SIRI. Google Now is what your phone shows you by swiping up from the bottom of the screen. It shows you the weather, traffic, how much time till you get home and sports scores. Disabling that doesn't stop you from asking the phone what the temp is, will it snow today, asking it to dial a number or having it open an app.

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
Something you might check. Go into your gallery any pictures that are blank black etc causes the media server issue. I deleted any of mine in my gallery and it fixed my media sync issues

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

Doc Marten

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
OK. sorted my problem by deleting a couple of album art from my music folder and the images from my gallery. I also deleted images from picassa and my Google plus account. media server is no longer an issue and I'll add things back one at a time and see if any mess up media server.

Greydoggydog

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
That was exactly the problem with my Galaxy Nexus. I had tried the corrupt media fix by deleting all pictures from my phone but that didn't work.

When I read your advice about disabling Currents and tried it, it worked great. Currents was the problem. As soon as I disabled it, Mediaserver went from 40% of my battery usage to 3%. Thanks.

Steve Balke

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
I had this same issue for quite some time on my S3. After talking with Verizon several times, I realized that they had no clue what was causing this. I factory reset my phone a few times and the media server process didn't show up until I put my music back on the phone (internal storage, not SD card). Then, it was only a matter of time before it was back up to using 60% - 70% of my battery, even if I did not listen to the music on the phone. On a side note, my music is in .wma, .mp3, and .m4a format. When I moved the music to the phone's storage, I was asked if I wanted to convert it and I said no. Every time, the media server process would creep up and kill my battery. Two days ago, I did another factory reset and when I moved the music to the phone, I chose yes when asked if I wanted to convert it. I noticed that it only converted the .m4a files I had (converted them to .wma). Since doing that, I have not seen the issue with the media server process. When it is on the list, it is at the bottom and uses no more than 3% - 4% of the battery and eventually drops off. I'm not sure if this will fix the problem for everyone, but it is worth a try if you have .m4a files on your phone. You may want to factory reset your phone first, then move the music back onto the phone, converting it in the process. I hope this helps.

Reed Proctor

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
This is a good forum. Thanks for the info.
I have a RAZR MAXX I bought in January. I can't find Google Currents or Currents or flowing water or puddle or anything like that. I don't listen to music. Mediaserver is using four times the power that the screen is using.
Did the reboot thing...a lot.
Any other suggestions?

minnemike

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I run Currents 100% of the time and have no media server issue - haven't had it since the 4.2.2 update - in fact, I do not disable any of the Google services and have awesome battery life... so it may be related but not definitely the cause. I would imagine if you have disabled something that Currents requires, you could be causing some sort of disjunction - at least that is a theory I have. :D

My recommendation is to return all services to stock and enabled - check performance - then go piece by piece in determining what exactly causes what.

Sandro Abitante

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
It seems to me that the Media Server has problems to scan files on the external memory card. When I realize that my phone gets hot I look in the process list and appears Media Server eating my battery.

Going on:

Settings -> Storage -> Unmount SD Card

Solves the problem. However it is a workaround because when the active SD card bug back again.

[Motorola Razr I | Android 4.1.2]

rybalex

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
I've had this issue for many months with Nexus 7 - Mediaserver eating at times over 80% battery. None of the found solutions helped me, so I just lived with it and hoped for future update to fix it.
Yesterday I updated to Android 4.3 and so far Mediaserver has very low usage. Haven't charged the battery since yesterday, still 70%.
So, it seems Android 4.3 fixes it. Hopefully it will stay this way.

Nevermind, day later it started to drain the battery again with over 50% usage.

Last edited:

ldmelo

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
I have a galaxy s4 running android 4.2.2 and i had media server eating 80% of my battery everyday, even if I didn`t play any music or video file. The problem would vanish by removing my sd card (20gb of mp3), so I think it is related to something on my sd card, probably the music files. I tried everything, scanned my music files, fixed probable damaged files, added a few at a time, etc. After all the work, I found no real solution. I really think android is not prepared to handle a massive number of media files in a sd card (since the problem gets worse as long as I add more music).

Anyway... To make things work I did this:
1. Placed a ".nomedia" file on the root of my music folder (bye bye android library)
2. Installed PowerAmp music player
3. Selected my music folder in poweramp (it will show my library and play music even with the nomedia there)

Now problems are solved, though not the right way. Note that I still feel the issue sometimes, after playing my music on poweramp, I think mediaserver gets started when poweramp starts and never stops. I have to stop it manually (maybe it goes crazy for having music being played with the library being empty).

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty