Not transferring phone numbers to Nexus 4

shelleyjr

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Hello Nexus 4 Guru's!

I just got a new Nexus 4 and noticed some missing phone numbers (maybe all, I haven't checked). On my old Thunderbolt phone under the "people" app, it has my phonebook. When I click on "phonebook" (on the top of the "people app") on my Thunderbolt phone all of these are ticked off; SIM, Phone and Google (with my gmail address). I am missing phone numbers in the "people" app on the Nexus 4 phone. It looks like it took all of my phonebook contacts but didn't port over the phone numbers??? This has also been a problem today with my friends texting me because their phone number is showing up (when they text me) but NOT their name so I have no idea who is texting me. I have to ask who they are before I reply! So embarrassing to say the least. :eek: Is there a fix for this? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

frenziedfemale

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Have you tried manually syncing the contacts on the thunderbolt, then manually syncing on you N4? It may be that you entered the numbers on your old phone, and they haven't synced to Google.

shelleyjr

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the reply Frenzie. I tried syncing and I also tried porting via bluetooth and neither worked. I am sure it is me since I am not that good with this kind of stuff. I have been adding the phone numbers manually in Gmail. What I have noticed is that when I open a contact in Gmail the phone numbers are either missing or in the text box to the right. When I enter the numbers in the text box on the left in gmail contacts it puts it into my phone. So my 300+ contacts are taking some time to be entered, but hopefully this is will be correct when I get a new phone in a few years. It has been a major hassle to say the least. But I do love my Nexus 4.

frenziedfemale

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Does the people app on your thunderbolt have an import/export option in settings? You can export the contacts as a vcard and bluetooth the file to the N4 then use import on N4 and you should have the contacts. You may get duplicates of ones you already had though.

wunderbar

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
I personally would try to export them out of the thunderbolt into a file your computer can read, like a .csv. You can then import the contacts into Google Conacts in Gmail on a computer. will be much faster than entering them all in one by 1, and easier than trying to do it on the phones themselves.

sagnik ghosh

May 20, 2013
Visit site
I personally would try to export them out of the thunderbolt into a file your computer can read, like a .csv. You can then import the contacts into Google Conacts in Gmail on a computer. will be much faster than entering them all in one by 1, and easier than trying to do it on the phones themselves.

Hi Wunderbar, even i am facing the same problem in my new N4. I had followed the way said, i.e, I had created a csv file in my google account and then synced my google account from my N4.
Having said that, the contacts did populate in the "People" app, but not in the "Phone" app. Now neither call/sms can be performed from the "People" app, and can only be performed form the "Phone" app. Can you please suggest me a way to populate the "Phone" app with all the contacts with their phone numbers other than manually feeding them in?
Thank in advance!

frenziedfemale

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Sagnik, if they are in one app and not the other, try going to settings...accounts...Google. Tap on your gmail account and ensure that contacts and people details are checked to sync..if both are already checked, uncheck them and recheck them.

fernandezhjr

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
Hi Wunderbar, even i am facing the same problem in my new N4. I had followed the way said, i.e, I had created a csv file in my google account and then synced my google account from my N4.
Having said that, the contacts did populate in the "People" app, but not in the "Phone" app. Now neither call/sms can be performed from the "People" app, and can only be performed form the "Phone" app. Can you please suggest me a way to populate the "Phone" app with all the contacts with their phone numbers other than manually feeding them in?
Thank in advance!

Tap on the settings menu within the app and make sure contacts to view is properly set. The phone app reads the contacts from the people app, so whatever is in the people app should automatically show in the phone app.

Pollster

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone experiencing this problem checked their contact list on a computer browser?

In gmail on a desktop, All missing contacts showing means the Nexus is not syncing them correctly. All missing contacts also missing from the desktop browser gmail means that the Thunderbolt did not sync them up to Google's servers.

sirduke123

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
Hello,

I am having exactly the same problem as you described with my new Nexus 4 and it drives me mad! The people app is perfectly synchronized with gmail. All contacts are there. However the phone app shows "no contacts". Changing the "Contacts to display" setting to really everything that is there - including the group with all my contacts in gmail, which is updated all the time - does not help.
What is wrong with this application. I have been speding many hours trying to figure out, what could be the problem, e.g. a corrupt entry, but nothing. It even does not work, if I have only 1 contact in gmail.

I would really appreciate any help!

Thanks

dbareis

Jan 15, 2010
Visit site
I'm not sure I understand the problem fully however if there is an issue its more likely with your previous phone and how you stored the contacts there, if you didn't create them as Google contacts then you can't expect your new phone to pick them up without you having to do your own export/import.