Nexus 4 screen cracks - defective - Google and LG do not take responsibility

jsohrkaoff

May 30, 2013
Visit site
I was out to lunch with my husband and we decided to eat outside. He put his N4 on the table and all of a sudden it slid off like 2 minutes later. We've noticed in the past that th phone is very slippery but seriously it is uncomfortable to put in your pocket while eating. So the phone fell to its death. It no longer works and is unresponsive.
As to the car analogy that is stupid because once you backed your car and it got a bump were you still able to drive? I think so.
They obviously didn't take everything into account for making this phone. It looked nice now it is unusable. Money down the drain.

fernandezhjr

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
I see people with cracked/shattered screens all the time, Galaxys, iPhones, HTC phones. You name it, I've seen them, often. If the, manufacturers had to replace a phone every time someone damaged their screen because they dropped it, people would only be more careless and there would only be an increase of incidents. There is no design flaw with this phone or any of the others I've seen with busted screens. The more glass there is, the more risk. I dropped my N4 once from about two and a half feet on to a concrete floor and the bumper I use saved it. I might not be so lucky next time, but it only helps to have some kind of protection on it.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

fernandezhjr

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
I was out to lunch with my husband and we decided to eat outside. He put his N4 on the table and all of a sudden it slid off like 2 minutes later. We've noticed in the past that th phone is very slippery but seriously it is uncomfortable to put in your pocket while eating. So the phone fell to its death. It no longer works and is unresponsive.
As to the car analogy that is stupid because once you backed your car and it got a bump were you still able to drive? I think so.
They obviously didn't take everything into account for making this phone. It looked nice now it is unusable. Money down the drain.

It slid on it's own without being touched? Which case/bumper did he have on it?

pufulete

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
It slid on it's own without being touched? Which case/bumper did he have on it?

Mine slides off of stuff all the time, even seemingly level, flat surfaces. Having a case is immaterial. If it needs a case because their half-baked design is too slipperly, it should include one. Oh, wait... now they do include a bumper if you purchase on Google Play. To me, that's an admission of there being a problem.

CoMoNexus

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
Interesting. Between that and the nubs added a couple of months ago, Google/LG has acknowledged that a lot of people are concerned.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Was someone just making a point that a many thousand dollar car was more durable than a 300 dollar phone? Or did I dream that? :what:

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

pufulete

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
Lol. Someone got what they deserved.

Your post does not add anything to this discussion. You're delusional to think that you should need to have a case to avoid a phone sliding off a flat, level surface. To avoid drop damage, sure. If I set my phone in the middle of my dinner table, should I really have to worry about it magically traveling a few feet to the edge of the table? Really? The thing doesn't have wheels, does it? It's not a ball, is it? I guess I didn't have to buy this phone, but I did not imagine that anyone would manufacture a phone with a near frictionless front/back. There's plently of Youtube videos where you can see this problem demonstrated. For example, Nexus 4 sliding by itself // Nexus 4 movi?ndose por s? solo - YouTube

fernandezhjr

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
Your post does not add anything to this discussion. You're delusional to think that you should need to have a case to avoid a phone sliding off a flat, level surface. To avoid drop damage, sure. If I set my phone in the middle of my dinner table, should I really have to worry about it magically traveling a few feet to the edge of the table? Really? The thing doesn't have wheels, does it? It's not a ball, is it? I guess I didn't have to buy this phone, but I did not imagine that anyone would manufacture a phone with a near frictionless front/back. There's plently of Youtube videos where you can see this problem demonstrated. For example, Nexus 4 sliding by itself // Nexus 4 movi?ndose por s? solo - YouTube

I'm delusional for thinking the phone couldn't have just magically slid off the table? Sure. You are the one saying he laid it on the table and it slid off on it's own. If the table was not level, y'all should know that glass is smooth and slides easily. I accidentally pulled my phone off a table onto a concrete floor via the cable that was connected to it. It didn't get damaged because I have a bumper on it. It is possible that it would have not been damaged if it didn't have the bumper on it, but with a glass front and back, that is highly unlikely. A lot of people prefer the smooth glass back for the feel vs that cheap plastic feel, myself included, which is why I only have a bumper on it. If you choose not to protect your investment, fine, but coming on here and saying that the phone is defective because you or your husband dropped it to the floor and cracked/shattered the screen is ridiculous.

pufulete

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
You're confusing me with another poster. I didn't say my phone was broken. I was only adding to the conversation that I find it too slippery.

Captainbob767

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm delusional for thinking the phone couldn't have just magically slid off the table? Sure. You are the one saying he laid it on the table and it slid off on it's own. If the table was not level, y'all should know that glass is smooth and slides easily. I accidentally pulled my phone off a table onto a concrete floor via the cable that was connected to it. It didn't get damaged because I have a bumper on it. It is possible that it would have not been damaged if it didn't have the bumper on it, but with a glass front and back, that is highly unlikely. A lot of people prefer the smooth glass back for the feel vs that cheap plastic feel, myself included, which is why I only have a bumper on it. If you choose not to protect your investment, fine, but coming on here and saying that the phone is defective because you or your husband dropped it to the floor and cracked/shattered the screen is ridiculous.

I actually don't give a darn about the "feel" of the phone. I put a case on it because I don't want it to break if I accidentally drop it or it slides off a surface and hits the floor. In my opinion, if you choose to not put a case on the phone, or even a bumper ( which I personally think affords almost no protection), and it falls a breaks, then don't whine about it. It was your choice to take a risk, and you lost... !!!!!!!

Captainbob767

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site

So the video proves that the table is not level, and if you place something on it, it may start sliding. Duh!!!!!!! I'm betting it has something to do with that darn old gravity.....

Captainbob767

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Dude that's just one video. I chose that one since it was shortest. Youtube is easy to use if you're interested.
Well it doesn't prove anything, so what is the point of posting it? If you put a concrete block on the side of Mt Everest, guess what, it will slide off and eventually break. You can't determine from the video if the table is level or on a 15 degree slant. If you phone is too slippery, put something on it like a case, to make it less slippery. It's not rocket science.

fernandezhjr

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
I actually don't give a darn about the "feel" of the phone. I put a case on it because I don't want it to break if I accidentally drop it or it slides off a surface and hits the floor. In my opinion, if you choose to not put a case on the phone, or even a bumper ( which I personally think affords almost no protection), and it falls a breaks, then don't whine about it. It was your choice to take a risk, and you lost... !!!!!!!

My phone is not broken and I don't give a darn what protection you choose. A bumper provides good enough protection for me. I already made up my mind, if I crack the back glass, I will replace it myself. There are a lot of people only using a bumper and a skin on the back.

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Warning number two, please stop the bickering.

"Differences of habit and language are nothing at all if our aims are identical and our hearts are open.? -courtesy of Albus Dumbledore, via my droid DNA.

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Is every one just going to ignore the two posts I've posted before this to just stop?

"Differences of habit and language are nothing at all if our aims are identical and our hearts are open.? -courtesy of Albus Dumbledore, via my droid DNA.

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
same thing happened with my galaxy nexus except the drop was about 10cm onto thick carpet. There are now 2 huge cracks in it. Phones 4U Samsung and Google are not interested. Crap phone (great OS) BUT crap phone. Im going to switch to Apple

Because iPhones never break mysteriously without being dropped. And that was with a quick and dirty Google search.

As I think many of us have said time and again, glass does not break by itself. There's always an outside factor at play, be it physical force, temperature, or a defect that gets magnified by such. The Nexus 4 also doesn't leap off tables by itself. Yes, it's a smooth phone that lacks the grip of other phones (not including current models that have the nubs on the back). Don't put it on a tilted surface, or near an edge where it can get bumped off. If you do, you're openly acknowledging the risk that it could take a dive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez