Nexus 4, After s4 and HTC one. Still a good phone to purchase?

BliTzTeriZe

May 27, 2013
Visit site
I have been wanting to know that if this phone is still a good phone to purchase. Seeing that new phones have come out. I see that this phone is really good and its really good for moding and stuff. I know the specs of Nexus 4 and the true android Experience and stuff! But all I wanna know at the moment is that it is worth it.. I am a guy who changes phone every 2-3 years and is nexus 4 gonna be enough? I am not saying that I wanna go for s4.. its way more than What I need.

What I wanna know are :
1) is it a good phone to purchase at THIS MOMENT of the year
2) Will it be able to stay updated for 2-3 years
3) What are the main downsides of this phone

If this phone is not good then I mite wanna go for the xperia ZL or LG optimus G. What do you guys think?
Thanks in advance. :)

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
I have been wanting to know that if this phone is still a good phone to purchase. Seeing that new phones have come out. I see that this phone is really good and its really good for moding and stuff. I know the specs of Nexus 4 and the true android Experience and stuff! But all I wanna know at the moment is that it is worth it.. I am a guy who changes phone every 2-3 years and is nexus 4 gonna be enough? I am not saying that I wanna go for s4.. its way more than What I need.

What I wanna know are :
1) is it a good phone to purchase at THIS MOMENT of the year
2) Will it be able to stay updated for 2-3 years
3) What are the main downsides of this phone

If this phone is not good then I mite wanna go for the xperia ZL or LG optimus G. What do you guys think?
Thanks in advance. :)
Excellent phone still, It's a Nexus so of course it will stay updated,
The main issue is that stock the colours look washed out and battery SOT is averaging at 3-4 hours.

ohyeahar

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
The N4 remains the best bang for buck at its price point.

Whether or not the N4 is right for you depends on your priorities.

The N4 is right for you if:
- You don?t need to carry your entire media collection with you. The 16GB version has just under 13GB of usable space. Most of us have gotten by with cloud and streaming services.
- You value stock Android and/or custom AOSP ROMs. ROMs like CM or PA tend to be relatively bug-free on Nexus devices compared to others.

The screen isn?t the best anymore. But it?s not bad. At one point, it was the best or second best screen available. Just because better screens have arrived doesn?t mean the screen on the N4 got worse.

The camera isn?t the best. But again, it?s not bad. I think much of the fault lies in the default camera software. I?ve had good results with third party camera apps.

DeadpoolJunior

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't recommend it at this point in the year. I love my Nexus4 dearly and im not considering any other phone right now, but I'd be doing folks a disservice if I recommended it at this point. The HTC ONE is the best phone on the market right now in my opinion. Sense is attractive. Hardware too. Camera good. All that remains to be seen is how it will update in the future.

And if you want wait? There should be another Nexus right around fall. You use phones for 2-3yrs and this one is already a year old almost. Get the One or S4 if you're fine with no nexus phone. Otherwise, I'd say consider keeping your eye on fall for the new Nexus.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

bespinct

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
I guess it depends on what you use your phone for, but 3 years is now a long time for a phone. I still use my Galaxy Nexus every so often and I am surprised but how dated it feels and performs to the DNA and S3. That said, I work with a guy who is still rocking the Droid Incredible, which is basically a Nexus One.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 4 Beta

xnickfx

May 20, 2013
Visit site
I want the new Nexus to come out. I really hope all those rumors are true about the 3GB RAM, 32GB Storage, 5.2 Inch Screen, 3300mah battery, etc. *drools* :p

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm about 2 months into ownership of a Nexus 4. Could not be happier with my choice.

Unlock and root upon delivery, add franco.Kernel, set up to taste and sigh in contentment every time you use it. :)

There will always be new phones just out or coming soon (at least until the zombie apocalypse). That means there will always be those telling you to wait a month or six... You did your research? Sounds like you have. A great phone is a great phone. A Nexus means yes to updates, NO to bloatware. How can you loose? Waiting might net a better phone from Google if you must have LTE*. Everything else can be worked with. I say pull the trigger.

* Yeah, yeah: LTE may or may not be possible on N4 depending on several things. It's not sanctioned - it's not in every market - it requires software surgery. It's not an Out of The Box option so let's not debate the point endlessly and cloud the issue... 'K?

boxer2

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
In a word...yes, it is still a good device "hardware wise" for the amount you pay. The newer higher spec devices that you mentioned are great devices but are considerably more money off contract. IMHO, they are not huge leaps ahead of the Nexus 4, so the better value is the Nexus.

As you mentioned, you plan to keep your device for 2 to 3 years, the Nexus is more likely to get updates quicker, and longer into its life cycle than most other devices as carriers and manufacturers tend to end support sooner than Nexus.

Battery life is okay, not great but not terrible. Display is very nice. Glass back is beautiful but I usually keep mine in a case because I know I will eventually drop it.

For me the price is a big component, I figure if I break it, I'd rather drop down another $350.00 vs $650.00.

Good luck ,

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
I think it still is a great device to get today.
I say that because I got one today! It readily is the best bang for your buck. Why not try it?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Captainbob767

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I have had my Nexus 4 for 2 weeks now and love it. Runs about 15 hours a day, with moderate use, looks great, and everything works. Can't beat the value.

DeadpoolJunior

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I want the new Nexus to come out. I really hope all those rumors are true about the 3GB RAM, 32GB Storage, 5.2 Inch Screen, 3300mah battery, etc. *drools* :p

Don't know where those rumors came from, but I think its pretty safe to say none of that is coming into fruition.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

taj7575

May 28, 2011
Visit site
For price, yes.

Overall? No, I would not. My Nexus still overheats, and is now having a new problem where it can't even connect properly to data or a network. As the days go on (I've had this phone since early December), this phone has been showing more problems, and I don't know how much longer I can keep up with them.

Most importantly though - With the S4 and HTC One Nexus coming out, those are two even better options to go for though.

But if price is an issue - the Nexus 4 is still the best bang for the buck by far.

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
For price, yes.

Overall? No, I would not. My Nexus still overheats, and is now having a new problem where it can't even connect properly to data or a network. As the days go on (I've had this phone since early December), this phone has been showing more problems, and I don't know how much longer I can keep up with them.

Most importantly though - With the S4 and HTC One Nexus coming out, those are two even better options to go for though.

But if price is an issue - the Nexus 4 is still the best bang for the buck by far.

Could you elaborate on your issues? I just bought the Nexus 4 and would like a heads up on what is ahead.

taj7575

May 28, 2011
Visit site
Could you elaborate on your issues? I just bought the Nexus 4 and would like a heads up on what is ahead.

The Nexus 4 is known to have overheating issues that naturally throttles it (The LG Nexus 4 lacks a proper heat sink, causing overheating and throttling - Pocketables), and I've noticed it decreases my battery life as well. It also has known data connection issues (Google Groups).

I have both issues, and the latter is the worst. I have never experienced it until recently, but let's just say that my Nexus 4 is never in connection.

I have been a Nexus 4 user since early December, and this is my second unit that I am on (my first Nexus 4 had all the issues that the first batch Nexus 4 had). The Nexus 4 is a wonderful phone, but it does still have it issues. With that said, I still think it is the third best phone in the market (First: HTC One, Second: Galaxy S4).

taj7575

May 28, 2011
Visit site
It's clearly a defective unit, don't worry about it.

Clearly huh? I have been a Nexus 4 user since early December, meaning since it's first batch. As I already mentioned, I am on my second Nexus 4 (as my first Nexus 4 had all the early issues of the Nexus 4 like earpiece buzz, etc...). I have already received a replacement, which means it should be working properly, and it is the remodified nexus 4 (with the new camera look and the bumps on the back of the phone).

I should be having no issues. But the overheating is still there with the phone which does make it slower and drains the battery much faster. And the data/Wi-Fi connectivity issues have been a known problem since the phone has come out.

I'm a Google and Nexus 4 fan. But that doesn't mean we should ignore the issues or throw them away as phone specific problems. These are all known issues with the Nexus 4.

Jnorton2724

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
I have both the HTC One and the Nexus 4 currently but find myself enjoying the HTC One more. The Nexus 4 is a very good phone but I was getting tired of HSPA+ and lack of storage plus the camera isn't that great. Also battery life is poor. I'm really enjoying sense 5.

If you want Android updates and Google experience though get the Nexus 4. Also best bang for buck phone currently is Nexus 4.

Sent from my HTC One

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rekys