Crackling Bluetooth audio on my nexus 4 :(

yubeie

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
Perhaps this is still an open issue... But when streaming audio from my nexus 4 through my car (Bluetooth 2.1 based ).. There is a lot of crackling... I have not been able to resolve this issue so far :-(

I've tried disabling wifi & gps but it does not matter. Interestingly i do not have this issue with my jabra stereo headset.

Normal calls in my car do not exhibit this problem either... Its only with music streaming.
Any ideas /solutions

Thanks

Nexus 4
Posted via Android Central App

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Perhaps this is still an open issue... But when streaming audio from my nexus 4 through my car (Bluetooth 2.1 based ).. There is a lot of crackling... I have not been able to resolve this issue so far :-(

Unfortunately, I think this is a known issue that is affecting people with the Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 4, and Nexus 7. Some people are reporting that the problem started with the 4.2 upgrade.

Do you have an aux port in your car stereo? If you do, perhaps you can run a line from the headphone jack on your Nexus 4 to your car stereo's aux port. Otherwise you'll have to wait for a fix from Google.

yubeie

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
Unfortunately, I think this is a known issue that is affecting people with the Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 4, and Nexus 7. Some people are reporting that the problem started with the 4.2 upgrade.

Do you have an aux port in your car stereo? If you do, perhaps you can run a line from the headphone jack on your Nexus 4 to your car stereo's aux port. Otherwise you'll have to wait for a fix from Google.

Yes i do... But the stereo Bluetooth connection produces better sound quality (excluding the crackling problem) as opposed to auxiliary connection :(
you are right though this is an open issue documented in Google developers website but not yet fixed... Hoping they fix it in 4.3

Nexus 4

mr_nobody

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
But the stereo Bluetooth connection produces better sound quality (excluding the crackling problem) as opposed to auxiliary connection

Then there must be something wrong with your aux because bluetooth introduces another level of audio compression which aux doesn't. BT should always be inferior in sound quality to a wired connection...

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Yes i do... But the stereo Bluetooth connection produces better sound quality (excluding the crackling problem) as opposed to auxiliary connection :(

Can you describe the audio quality coming from your auxiliary connection? Is it just that bluetooth sounds louder?

Also, have you tried other audio sources (like an MP3 player, a portable CD player, or even another smartphone) with the aux port? How do they sound when compared to your Nexus 4?

yubeie

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
Can you describe the audio quality coming from your auxiliary connection? Is it just that bluetooth sounds louder?

Also, have you tried other audio sources (like an MP3 player, a portable CD player, or even another smartphone) with the aux port? How do they sound when compared to your Nexus 4?

The sound from my usb connection using ipod is the best, followed by the sound quality from my Bluetooth and then the aux.. The main limitation is the ability to provide a complete surround sound... My aux produces basic stereo sound :(

I have an acura els sound system in case you need the information.

Nexus 4

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site
The sound from my usb connection using ipod is the best, followed by the sound quality from my Bluetooth and then the aux.. The main limitation is the ability to provide a complete surround sound... My aux produces basic stereo sound :(

Did you get the 4.3 update? I'm wondering if that will fix the bluetooth audio quality problem.

yubeie

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
Did you get the 4.3 update? I'm wondering if that will fix the bluetooth audio quality problem.

I am curious as well.. I sideloaded it yesterday... I'll try during the weekend and reply back... Stay tuned!

@Nexus4

yubeie

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site

Tried it today and no luck :(
The crackling still continues... I wonder if Bluetooth 4.0 is backwards compatible with 2.0/ 2.1

@Nexus4

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Tried it today and no luck :(
The crackling still continues... I wonder if Bluetooth 4.0 is backwards compatible with 2.0/ 2.1

Too bad - I had high hopes that 4.3 would fix the bluetooth issues. Oh, well, I guess we're back to square one.

If I remember correctly, you can't get surround sound from the Nexus 4's headphone jack connected to your car stereo, right? Have you tried connecting your Nexus 4 via the headphone jack to a home theater receiver with surround sound? I'm just wondering if surround sound is even possible without resorting to bluetooth.

yubeie

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
Too bad - I had high hopes that 4.3 would fix the bluetooth issues. Oh, well, I guess we're back to square one.

If I remember correctly, you can't get surround sound from the Nexus 4's headphone jack connected to your car stereo, right? Have you tried connecting your Nexus 4 via the headphone jack to a home theater receiver with surround sound? I'm just wondering if surround sound is even possible without resorting to bluetooth.

I can confirm that aux on N4 is definitely weak... The quality is much better with my ipod.
With regards to bluetooth.. I have the crackling only with my car.. It works okay with my headphones..but if i pair my car with an iPhone. It works fine... So i am not sure if its my phone or the car... I am lost. :(

@Nexus4

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site
So i am not sure if its my phone or the car... I am lost. :(

Have you tried pairing your Nexus 4 with a different car, preferably one with a different stereo model? If it still doesn't work with a different car that has a different stereo, then there's a greater chance that it's solely a problem with the Android OS. If it works with a different car, then you know it's your car stereo that has the issue.

yubeie

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
Have you tried pairing your Nexus 4 with a different car, preferably one with a different stereo model? If it still doesn't work with a different car that has a different stereo, then there's a greater chance that it's solely a problem with the Android OS. If it works with a different car, then you know it's your car stereo that has the issue.

Nice idea... I'll try that out and report back!

@Nexus4

Aaron Grose

Jul 12, 2013
Visit site
I am also having the same problem with my Bluetooth. I have a aftermarket Kenwood stereo in my car and I am running android 4.3 that is unrooted. It's mainly the hough tones that have lots of crackling and when I use the auxiliary port it sounds just fine. I was going to test it out on a portable Bluetooth speaker to see if the issue still occurs.

d3Xt3r

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
Same issue with my Nexus 4 and Android 4.3 (running Paranoid Android 3.99). My car unit is a Sony WX-GT90BT. Aux output works just fine with no issues. I bought this head unit specifically so that I can play audio using Bluetooth but it's been nothing but a disappointment.

yubeie

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
Turning off wifi helped me to certain extent.. At least it reduced the frequency of occurrence.. Issue still remains though :(
Since 4.2 update from 4.1.. bluetooth on Android is messed up... Utterly disappointed

AC@Nexus4

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Back in the early days of FM tuners in cars (I'm showing my age now...) static interference was a common problem until manufacturers learned how to shield against EMI emitted by the engine ignition systems. This may have pertained specifically to the then very new electronic ignition systems used on some high-end cars; I honestly don't remember.

At any rate, I wonder if one of you guys would perform a simple test: does your bluetooth connection still crackle if your engine is off? If not, then I vote for an EMI problem, though I have no idea what you can do about it.

yubeie

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
Back in the early days of FM tuners in cars (I'm showing my age now...) static interference was a common problem until manufacturers learned how to shield against EMI emitted by the engine ignition systems. This may have pertained specifically to the then very new electronic ignition systems used on some high-end cars; I honestly don't remember.

At any rate, I wonder if one of you guys would perform a simple test: does your bluetooth connection still crackle if your engine is off? If not, then I vote for an EMI problem, though I have no idea what you can do about it.

Interesting thought... But the issue persists with the engine turned off as well... I am yet to try the setup in a different car.. I think that'll pretty much confirm if it's the phone.. N I think it is.. Since it only started post 4.2 update..

AC@Nexus4

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Interesting thought... But the issue persists with the engine turned off as well... I am yet to try the setup in a different car.. I think that'll pretty much confirm if it's the phone.. N I think it is.. Since it only started post 4.2 update..

AC@Nexus4

Well, for what it is worth...

I have this bluetooth headset Bluetooth Headphones : Bluetooth Stereo Headphones Sports : Android Bluetooth Stereo Headset Headphones : iPhone Bluetooth Headphones : iPod Bluetooth Headphones : Jaybirdgear.com (really awesome, by the way) and it worked fine before the 4.3 update and continues to work fine after the update.

Also, today I had the opportunity to give this http://forums.androidcentral.com/google-nexus-4/311610-problem-solved-audio-jack-car.html a try and it also works fine without any background noise, static, or crackling.

My Nexus 4 is from the first batch released last November and is stock and un-rooted.

yubeie

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
Well, for what it is worth...

I have this bluetooth headset Bluetooth Headphones : Bluetooth Stereo Headphones Sports : Android Bluetooth Stereo Headset Headphones : iPhone Bluetooth Headphones : iPod Bluetooth Headphones : Jaybirdgear.com (really awesome, by the way) and it worked fine before the 4.3 update and continues to work fine after the update.

Also, today I had the opportunity to give this http://forums.androidcentral.com/google-nexus-4/311610-problem-solved-audio-jack-car.html a try and it also works fine without any background noise, static, or crackling.

My Nexus 4 is from the first batch released last November and is stock and un-rooted.

I use a couple of jabra headphones and they work fine as well... The problem happens only with my car.. The difference is that jabras are 3.0 based while my car is running 2.1..I understand that typically it is backwards compatible.. But maybe 2.1 is too old?

AC@Nexus4

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38