just switched to the N4 from the S2, and i'm immediately missing a very important feature, help!

Rhavi Marques

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
ok, so i used the s2 for a very long time, and one of the core things that i loved about it (and mocked my iphone loving friends about it) was how the dial app would "guess" the number i was going to call, for example, i could press "666" and it would guess "mom", or i could type in 768 and it would still guess "mom" because her number starts with 768, this really sped up my dials and i never had to look at my contacts after i added them, i'd just dial the name in numbers or whatever part of the number i remembered and it would come up.

for the longest of time i thought this was an android feature (before the s2 i had a galaxy gio, and was familiar with my girlfriend's galaxy ace), turns out its not.

is there any way to get an app that will add this feature? or is it an option somewhere?

please help! the nexus was supposed to be a straight up upgrade, and not feel slow! (i already dont like the fact that i cant delete the empty panels on the homescreen or create folders in the app screen!)

ohyeahar

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
The feature you're looking for is called "smart dialing". For some reason, it's not a native feature to Android.

Certain ROMs have this baked in. I'm on CM and the stock dialer has this feature.

If you don't want to flash ROMs, then you'll need to install 3rd-party dialers. Just search "smart dialing" or "smart dialer" in Google Play.
I don't have any recommendations since I just stick with the stock dialer in CM.

Rhavi Marques

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
i'm not really fond of ROMs... i tried it once on the galaxy gio and almost bricked it, i know its probably much easier with flagship models, but i'd rather not try :)

ohyeahar

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Btw regarding your frustration on not being able to delete home panels or add folders to the app drawer, you just need a 3rd-party home launcher.
Nova is a good choice.

Fairclough

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
On the home screen click the Google search bar and type away. E.g if I do 042 it suggests phone numbers on my phone book starting with that

Posted via the mystical forest creatures that power this Nexus 4.