YouTube buffers all the time on about 98 % videos even on WiFi.. Anyone else?

accesschristopher

May 7, 2012
Visit site
OK , is it just me or does the YouTube app always stop on nexus 4. It really has always sucked on this phone even with my super high speed home WiFi.. Anyone else? what to do.. Gone through the app settings 1000 times.. Any suggestions ?

Last edited by a moderator:

dragonsamus

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
Re: Youtube buffs all the time on about 98 % videos even on WiFi.. Anyone else?

Have you tried closing the app or rebooting your phone? I don't have any issues with it on my phone but the facebook app is awful. Never loads.

Sent from my HTC One using AC Forums mobile app

CoMoNexus

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site

I rarely use the YouTube app, but I frequently watch YouTube on my PCs, and the buffering problem has gotten out of hand over the past few months. My cable service is 25 Mbps down, with sub-30 ms latency, so it's not my connection. Plus a lot of other people with different broadband providers have reported the same problem. It could be related to peering. It could be that YT's servers are overloaded. But I don't think it's the app.

accesschristopher

May 7, 2012
Visit site

I rarely use the YouTube app, but I frequently watch YouTube on my PCs, and the buffering problem has gotten out of hand over the past few months. My cable service is 25 Mbps down, with sub-30 ms latency, so it's not my connection. Plus a lot of other people with different broadband providers have reported the same problem. It could be related to peering. It could be that YT's servers are overloaded. But I don't think it's the app.
My sis has the 4s no issues with YouTube.. Unreal

daryllh

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site

OK , is it just me or does the YouTube app always stop on nexus 4. It really has always sucked on this phone even with my super high speed home WiFi.. Anyone else? what to do.. Gone through the app settings 1000 times.. Any suggestions ?

Yes. I have experienced this. I thought it was because of my crack flashing the last week but I flashed back to CM nightly and it still buffers.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

bruceleer0y

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site

I've experienced this issue with other phones as well. I think its the youtube app on wifi,because when i open up youtube in the browser it works just fine.

jc0187

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site

Yup. I've got the same issue with YouTube. A 5 minute video over WiFi or data can sometimes take 10 minutes to watch.

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
Try changing your router or modem settings to allow the use of open DNS servers. Since I did that, the buffering problem has almost gone away.

Posted via Android Central App

wx27

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
Are there any drawbacks to that?

In theory, the open DNS servers may direct you to youtube servers that are geographically farther from you than what your ISP's DNS servers would give you, but on the flip side perhaps those more distant servers will send data via network hops that aren't as congested, thus minimizing buffering issues.

Higher initial latency, but more consistent throughput, is what I suspect using open DNS may provide in certain cases.

Peering contracts are likely the cause of performance issues, much like NetFlix has with some ISPs.
Video services such as NetFlix and Youtube send way more data in one direction than another and some ISPs don't care to upgrade their switches to handle the flood of data without getting paid.

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
In theory, the open DNS servers may direct you to youtube servers that are geographically farther from you than what your ISP's DNS servers would give you, but on the flip side perhaps those more distant servers will send data via network hops that aren't as congested, thus minimizing buffering issues.

Higher initial latency, but more consistent throughput, is what I suspect using open DNS may provide in certain cases.
That's exactly it. I get a little buffering in the beginning sometimes, but the playback is smooth after that.

MONDINGO

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
Go into apps under settings. Select YouTube. Scroll down to clear cache, and then force stop it. Do not clear data though. This has always helped me out a lot.

Sent from my HTC One using AC Forums mobile app

Billy Bob Jimmy Joe

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
I feel for you. YouTube app never allowed me to play a video without freezing. I just use the mobile site now but the quality is not so good.

Posted from my Nexus 4 via Android Central App

jc0187

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site
I switched to an S4 about six months ago. But before I switched, I had this issue with YouTube as well. Well, I rid myself, thank God, of the horrid S4 and am now back on my N4 and I have yet to experience the buffer issues I had six months previously. I am hoping that with 4.4 update, the issue was resolved. Only time will tell.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomarsha95