Extreme Google Services Data Usage?

TauSigmaNova

Domo Arigato, Mr Roboto!
Mar 14, 2012
Visit site
Still on 4.2.2- AOKP and for the first time since I got my nexus I've gotten a warning for using 4gb of data, though the month ends in a few days. I went to check data usage and 2 GB went to Google services! I usually never use more than 1-2 GB! Why did it use so much and why did I not know about it?

Posted via Android Central App

LauraGo

Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
I have a Samsung Galaxy Nexus with a custom ROM 4.2.1
Google Services suddenly started to use HUGE amounts of data - from the 27th July 2.75 GB on wifi, and 1 GB on mobile.
You can imagine the fees on mobile!
There are some threads on Google groups on this problem such as
Google Groups
and several threads on XDA Developers forums, some have suggested it is an OTA auto update issue and proposed a solution to stop the auto update with Autorun Manager, however I have tried that solution yesterday and overnight I had google services use 159 mb again, so it does not work for me. :(
I wish Google gave us some help here.

- - - Updated - - -

I have a Samsung Galaxy Nexus with a custom ROM 4.2.1
Google Services suddenly started to use HUGE amounts of data - from the 27th July 2.75 GB on wifi, and 1 GB on mobile.
You can imagine the fees on mobile!
There are some threads on Google groups on this problem such as
http://productforums.google.com/forum/#!msg/mobile/rLrhgZUpmIg/9aZQWocmPuYJ
and several threads on XDA Developers forums, some have suggested it is an OTA auto update issue and proposed a solution to stop the auto update with Autorun Manager, however I have tried that solution yesterday and overnight I had google services use 159 mb again, so it does not work for me. :(
I wish Google gave us some help here.

gusar2000

Jun 4, 2013
Visit site
Disable background data for google services. They will use Wi-Fi for updates. You also could review other apps and services to disable background data (e.g Google Play store - it automatically installs updates). Helps a lot.

BlokeDownThePub

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
I had mobile data turned off (in the status bar) and it still did it.

This happened once before, I assumed it was clumsy fingers with it being my first touchscreen phone but since then I've been more careful and it did it again.

Why does the app bypass the "master" settings? It's like having an electric socket that isn't under control of the circuit breaker. BzzztOW!

(This is a Galaxy Young/S6310 with the original OS)