Winter is coming.....

John Beirne

Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Did anyone during last winter experience any negative effects in extreme cold weather? Sometimes for my job I have to be outside in winter where it can be -25?C and sometimes I've ridden to work with my phone in a jacket pocket. Any unresponsive screens? What about the glass back and front. And what about going inside from the cold, like a warm car or building?

Sent from my GT-I5800 using AC Forums mobile app

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Extreme temperatures tend to not be good.

As for the cold, it would probably be ok if you had it in a pocket, but I would put it in a pants pocket or something that will get some body heat. Cold will probably kill your battery faster and have some effects on your LCD screen. The bigger issue you might have is bringing it from a cold environment into a warm environment could cause condensation to form on the inside, which could damage the phone. You can help that by actually turning it off when you bring it inside until it warms up and the condensation evaporates so you don't have active electronics functioning in a wet environment.

I believe the general rule of thumb is to keep your phone above 32 degrees (at least for prolonged exposure).

Those are my intitial thoughts. If you Google for "smartphone in extreme temperatures" you'll find other info about it.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I used mine last winter(Dec 2012-Mar 2013) which went as low as 2?F (-17?C lots of snow). the average lowest temp at that time was 14?F (-10?C )

today's temperature is 104?F (really hot). My Nexus 4 had no problem

Rule9

Banned
Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
In case none of you were aware, the glass back on the N4 is actually Dragon Glass, and capable of slaying White Walkers.

sibeans

Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
it runs pretty hot after taking it off the charger, and then I wonder if it was chosen by the Lord of Light himself

Posted from my "CrackDroid" Nexus 4 via the Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress