Nexus 5 Price to Be $399 Because of Nexus 4 LTE Launch

deesugar

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Sir, you may not realize this but you're pretty much in the "Junk" or as we call it "Rumor" section.

They are all junk till confirmed.

MERCDROID

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Sir, you may not realize this but you're pretty much in the "Junk" or as we call it "Rumor" section.

They are all junk till confirmed.

Hey, I meant no disrespect. But, from reading that article and the comments section, it appears the author combined past and present rumors into one article.

It is wildly speculative, and presents little to no evidence, whatsoever, to back up any unsubstantiated claims.

But, alas, I'll bite. How does Google benefit, from re-releasing a year-old handset, with a slight upgrade (LTE)? How does Google benefit, from releasing a software update, to both an HSPA+ and LTE version of the Nexus 4?

Simple answer: They don't benefit, whatsoever. Why? Introducing another version of the Nexus 4 brings fragmentation to the brand. It's another handset that has to be updated; and, due to the Nexus 4 being a year-old, an LTE-enabled version would only be guaranteed one more year of updates. Not to mention, the hardware is already "outclassed," by newer and more efficient and powerful chipsets.

Also, if an Android 4.4 update unlocks the LTE functionality of the Nexus 4, then a subsequent update would be required, to lock the same antenna and return the device to FCC compliance.

As for price? That's a complete crap shoot, lol. No one predicted the Nexus 4's low price.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Mobile Nations mobile app

swebb

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
I've got to agree with the above. I can't recall anything like this before, the relaunch of a year old phone with only one substantial upgrade. And a software upgrade at that. If this was going to happen it would have happened 6 months ago. And why is the N4 no longer for sale in the play store? There are just too many logical lapses for this to be true.

charlee08

Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
Doesn't the Nexus 4 already have LTE capabilities? I know the 4.2 upgrade killed it, but with it already built in, can't Google just flip it back on with the KitKat update for us original Nexus 4 owners?

Anyhow, that's why I'm skeptical of this rumor in the link. However, maybe this is Google putting the rumor out there to see what kind of response they get.

Who knows.

Posted via Android Central App

MERCDROID

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Doesn't the Nexus 4 already have LTE capabilities? I know the 4.2 upgrade killed it, but with it already built in, can't Google just flip it back on with the KitKat update for us original Nexus 4 owners?

Anyhow, that's why I'm skeptical of this rumor in the link. However, maybe this is Google putting the rumor out there to see what kind of response they get.

Who knows.

Posted via Android Central App

The Nexus 4 does have LTE capabilities, but it lacks an amplifier. So, battery life, using the LTE "hack," is downright terrible.

Ask yourself: why did the 4.2 update "kill" the LTE radio software? The Nexus 4 was never sanctioned, by the FCC, to use LTE.

If 4.4 re-enables the LTE radio software, then the Nexus 4 has to be resubmitted to the FCC.

It's completely sold out on the Play Store: that should tell you something.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Mobile Nations mobile app