Straight Talk Question for my Nexus 5

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
I've been a Verizon user for almost ten years, and I'm almost ready to make the jump to do something else. Even though this is probably an easy question, here it is: Is what carrier Straight Talk uses based on the SIM that you buy? For example, I assume if I buy an AT&T Straight Talk micro-SIM card, then I will be running of AT&Ts towers, right? T-Mobile is horrible in my area and I just wanted to make sure I get to pick which towers I'm running off of.

Thanks in advance.

swarlos

Trusted Member
Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
I've been a Verizon user for almost ten years, and I'm almost ready to make the jump to do something else. Even though this is probably an easy question, here it is: Is what carrier Straight Talk uses based on the SIM that you buy? For example, I assume if I buy an AT&T Straight Talk micro-SIM card, then I will be running of AT&Ts towers, right? T-Mobile is horrible in my area and I just wanted to make sure I get to pick which towers I'm running off of.

Thanks in advance.

Yes if you buy an AT&T straight talk sim you will be using their network.

Carried by a raven from the Wall.

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Also check out AIO Wireless. Owned and run by AT&T.

Tbh I don't know why you'd go with AIO. ST is $10 cheaper and gives 500mb more of data. Plus AIO is likely going away when Cricket gets launched. But who knows how they will transition that. Only reason to go with AIO is if you'd need the $70 a month plan for more data.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
GoPhone customers ( since june 2013) are treated on par with postpaid at&t customers - they use the same apn settings. I specifically asked at&t tech support and was told that go phone customers are now on the same n/w as postpaid. This means that they should in theory have same access to roaming ( as long as the phone also supports roaming partner frequencies).

Yeah, Aio customers have to go through a proxy. There's a youtube video where a guy does a speedtest with an AT&T sim (i don't remember if it was gophone or contract sim), and has a ping in the 60's. He pops in Aio sim, and ping goes into the 200s.

GoPhone doesn't throttle your data speeds. 8mb/s is about the average HSPA+ speeds for AT&T in some areas. Their LTE is much faster, maybe more than twice or three times that.

swarlos

Trusted Member
Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
Tbh I don't know why you'd go with AIO. ST is $10 cheaper and gives 500mb more of data. Plus AIO is likely going away when Cricket gets launched. But who knows how they will transition that. Only reason to go with AIO is if you'd need the $70 a month plan for more data.

Plus I had a horrendous experience with Aio trying to port my number, they never received my order and I never got my SIM card. Took almost 2 1/2 weeks to get them to cancel my port in request and finally start using T-Mobile.

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Plus I had a horrendous experience with Aio trying to port my number, they never received my order and I never got my SIM card. Took almost 2 1/2 weeks to get them to cancel my port in request and finally start using T-Mobile.

That sucks....I have never tried AIO, I did research it a bit but I figured that if I were gonna spend that kinda money then I would just go to ATT GoPhone for the reasons that Gekko mentioned.

swarlos

Trusted Member
Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
That sucks....I have never tried AIO, I did research it a bit but I figured that if I were gonna spend that kinda money then I would just go to ATT GoPhone for the reasons that Gekko mentioned.

Yeah might as well get the full uncapped data speeds on LTE kind of dumb they cap it at 8MBs.