Between the N5's underwhelming battery and the "Insanely Not-Great" camera, I'll pass for now

raino

Q&A Team
Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Re: Between the N5's underwhelming battery and the "Insanely Not-Great" camera, I'll pass for now

So I called Google Play to see about purchasing the worldphone version (D821) in the U.S. and nope, they won't sell it there. You have to purchase that version in the UK or some other place besides the U.S.

Thank you for posting this. I was just about to start a thread with a question about this.

Kaenon11

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
Re: Between the N5's underwhelming battery and the "Insanely Not-Great" camera, I'll pass for now

For me, the camera was worth the purchase.

So awesome in comparison to the Nexus 4. Night and day.

smileman

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site

Well, volte-face.

I broke down an ordered the international version of the N5 last week. I wasn't fully committed to purchasing it yet as the wait time was showing 4-5 weeks. I just wanted to get my order in the queue and decide later. But today, one week after ordering, I received notice that my order had shipped! And I've decided I'm going to keep it.

The additional reviews that came out since I originally made this post that tipped the scales for me are:

-Alex Dobie's and the AC team's report that the N5's battery is close to the HTC One. That does sound like a step-up from the N4.

-Very positive comments about the improvement in the N5's screen over the N4. I didn't expect this with all the talk on how people really can't tell the difference between 720p and 1080p screens. But a lot of people commented on the crispness of text on the N5, and I do a ton of reading on my N4 so this is a big potential benefit.

-OIS and HDR+ do seem to make the camera a step-up, and per the The Verge's report that Google is working on a software fix I have faith it will get even better. Although it's not clear to me whether the N4 will also get HDR+? Still, OIS and the larger BSI sensor are probably worth it.

-Reduced battery drain when listening to music. I use my smartphone for music a lot so this could also really help battery life.

-Having a noticeably lighter phone will be nice.

-LTE, while not an option for me right this second, is just around the corner and I know I'm going to want that.

Bottom line: I have a serious weakness for Nexus phones. :) I was fooling myself thinking I could resist upgrading to the N5.

strav22

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site

I was waiting for a friend that was going to buy nexus 5. I wanted to see the phone before I made a decision. I thought my nexus 4 could keep me satisfied since it will get KitKat, I was wrong.

My friend chickened out and I ended up buying the nexus 5.

I know I have a nexus problem, first step is admitting it.

Posted via Android Central App

onthecouchagain

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site

I love my Nexus 5, but understand if anyone passes due to the camera experience. It's not bad, but it could be better, especially in light of Google's promise to end poor camera experiences on the Nexus line.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site

With the N4 also getting KitKat the two big improvements I was hoping for from the N5 over the N4 were battery life and camera.
Battery life is definitely better. I got 5 hours 40 minutes of screen time, with screen on full and LTE on as well. That was with light use, but the phone was not idle (half hour playing Candy Crush, an hour of book reading, and some email and IMing). This is on stock.

On camera, it sounds like Google has managed to make some improvements to the camera hardware with OIS. However, and somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but the big boost, HDR+, will also be coming to the N4 with KitKat.
LOL...I hate to burst your bubble (not being sarcastic...I was expecting a big improvement too) but I have Kit Kat on my Nexus 4 right now. I installed the factory image. The UI has the cool transparency features...it does look like the Nexus 5. But it still does not have Nexus 5 smoothness and no, the camera is NOT better. I took some test shots in low light, and there the difference is especially apparent. Lots of grainy mess in the Nexus 4 still. The OIS on the Nexus 5 keeps it noise free, even without HDR. hardware matters.

I took these photos as a direct comparison. Judge for yourself:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/go...era-photos-videos-thoughts-5.html#post3236128

On battery life, why of why couldn't have Google learned from the relatively atrocious N4 battery life and given people the option of getting the LG G2s 3,000 mAh battery with the N5?
The ideal solution IMO is just to have removable batteries...then people can upgrade or not themselves. Google is still being obstinate about this and I don't expect it to change at this point. The G2 really is better in every way. Too bad it has a fugly case and crappy UI/skin. It is like cooking the perfect steak and then dropping it on the floor heh heh.

A vanilla android version of the Korean G2 is really the closest thing to a perfect phone I think we can get right now.

To hear that the N5 offers basically the same subpar battery performance as the N4 is a major, major letdown.
I have both phones. No, it is not as bad as the Nexus 4. It is comparable to the Moto X according to several users on here who have both. As with any phone, battery life depends on use though.

In conclusion, if you only need 16GB of storage what are you left with in terms of differences between the N4 and N5?
- Better camera (significantly better for lowlight and flash)
- Significantly faster CPU (and you see this in the UI)
- Better battery life
- Better display (not just resolution...it is not as washed out as the nexus 4 either)
- LTE
- USB OTG that works

Try getting any of these shots with the Nexus 4. Good luck.

PAaiY3M.jpg

92283d1384665449t-share-your-nexus-5-camera-photos-videos-thoughts-pic1.jpg

92284d1384665503t-share-your-nexus-5-camera-photos-videos-thoughts-pic2.jpg

92333d1384701066t-share-your-nexus-5-camera-photos-videos-thoughts-img_20131117_095700.jpg

91189d1384186114t-share-your-nexus-5-camera-photos-videos-thoughts-png7.jpg

There are more where those came from. Check out the photo thread. http://forums.androidcentral.com/go...-nexus-5-camera-photos-videos-thoughts-5.html

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site

And don't get me wrong, I think the N5 is a really good value and a pretty compelling phone for most people.

But for N4 owners who were hoping to see significant upgrades in the battery and camera department, as well as still have an LTE worldphone, I find it disappointing.
As an N4 owner, and someone who really loved the N4, I can tell you I don't regret buying the N5. It is like what the N4 would be if google fixed all the major things I didn't like about it.

I especially do not miss the back glass on that thing. That was an awful design decision. It made the phone feel more fragile than it really was.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site

-Very positive comments about the improvement in the N5's screen over the N4. I didn't expect this with all the talk on how people really can't tell the difference between 720p and 1080p screens. But a lot of people commented on the crispness of text on the N5, and I do a ton of reading on my N4 so this is a big potential benefit.
The difference was a lot smaller for me, because I had rooted it and installed the Franco Kernel, so I could fix the awful calibration the stock Nexus 4 had. Once I did that, the display looked a lot better. Still not as good as the N5 though.

IMO the jump from WVGA to 720 was a lot more noticable than the jump from 720 to 1040. But I can still see a difference. On a 1040p display you cannot see any pixels, even holding it to your nose, and that is just awesome.

-OIS and HDR+ do seem to make the camera a step-up, and per the The Verge's report that Google is working on a software fix I have faith it will get even better. Although it's not clear to me whether the N4 will also get HDR+? Still, OIS and the larger BSI sensor are probably worth it.
Nexus 4 does have HDR on Kitkat. No, it does not really help.

The main criticisms of the N5 camera have to do with shutter speed and the software.

EnigmaticPsychotic

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site

Well, volte-face.

I broke down an ordered the international version of the N5 last week. I wasn't fully committed to purchasing it yet as the wait time was showing 4-5 weeks. I just wanted to get my order in the queue and decide later. But today, one week after ordering, I received notice that my order had shipped! And I've decided I'm going to keep it.

The additional reviews that came out since I originally made this post that tipped the scales for me are:

-Alex Dobie's and the AC team's report that the N5's battery is close to the HTC One. That does sound like a step-up from the N4.

-Reduced battery drain when listening to music. I use my smartphone for music a lot so this could also really help battery life.

-Having a noticeably lighter phone will be nice.

-LTE, while not an option for me right this second, is just around the corner and I know I'm going to want that.

Bottom line: I have a serious weakness for Nexus phones. :) I was fooling myself thinking I could resist upgrading to the N5.
Good, good. *wrings hands in a malevolent manner*

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site

-Alex Dobie's and the AC team's report that the N5's battery is close to the HTC One.

well, he was misleading people then. On GSMarena's test, Nexus 5 got 16hr talk, 5hr web, 6hr video. compares to HTC one, 13.5hr talk, 10hr web, 10hr video.

The difference is quite large, I don't know what test AC team did to make that report.

This is the place editors need to be careful and don't let the feeling overwhelm the responsibility, recommending a smartphone will cost customers several hundred bucks, it is not the place to be making unsupported statements.

LEMONGRAB

Banned
Sep 21, 2013
Visit site

Yes, battery and camera could've been improved but a larger 1080p screen and LTE alone make it a huge upgrade for me. I passed on the N4 due to LTE.

Imo cell tower speed is useless in most tech aplications. If you don't have unlimited data what does it matter if its lte or 2g or 3g?

This thread is in unacceptable condition; UNACCEPTABLE....
SSgS|||_2_DroidCentral

Jimmy Fairplay

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site

Coming from an N4, I think the Nexus 5 has a better camera. Not a perfect camera, but better than the N4. And the battery life, at least on my N5, is MUCH better than it was on my N4. That alone was reason enough to upgrade.

But I will say that, as nice as the screen on my N5 is, I really don't notice much difference between it and the screen on my N4. I think both are great. And 1080p vs. 720p is a pretty small difference on such a small screen.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site

Coming from an N4, I think the Nexus 5 has a better camera. Not a perfect camera, but better than the N4.
I did a direct comparison here:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/go...era-photos-videos-thoughts-5.html#post3236128

There is no way the Nexus 4 could have taken those night shots above. it would have been a grainy mess. Check out the rest of those images in that thread...the Nexus 5 camera is way underrated. It is comparable to any Android or iOS flagship phone camera out right now.

F123D

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site

Imo cell tower speed is useless in most tech aplications. If you don't have unlimited data what does it matter if its lte or 2g or 3g?

Well its a good thing I have unlimited data.

guitarizt

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site

I agree with you OP. If I had a Nexus 4 I would not get the 5 for those reasons mentioned even though battery life and the camera are slightly better, but LTE without having to deal with workarounds would be enough to get me to update. I think it's a good thing that the new generations are phones are becoming less and less better than previous generations. It's hitting the point of technology being able to do most of the big things, and it's just the small things here and there that need to be improved.

essinger

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site

I wouldn't update from n4 to n5 just because it ruins the value of the n4 to only get one year of use.

That said, LTE is a "can't go back" kind of upgrade. Not quite dial-up to DSL, but closer than you would expect.

Fr3lncr

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site

I don't regret updating to the N5 from the N4. It's much, much faster, the screen is much easier to read outdoors, I find the camera better (hated the N4 camera), and I almost have enough space to store my content with 32GBs (the 16GB N4 didn't give me nearly enough space).

Granted, there are some issues with what is probably due to the first production run (an exchange services battery drain which had me switch to Aqua Mail until they get fixed, and my vibration/haptic feedback doesn't seem to want to work right), the signal reception hasn't improved (which was one of my main gripes with the N4), and I never tried the N4 under KitKat to know how it performs

But like I said, even with all this, I don't regret getting the N5. Just too many hardware improvements that software can't fix.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site

I don't regret updating to the N5 from the N4. It's much, much faster, the screen is much easier to read outdoors, I find the camera better (hated the N4 camera), and I almost have enough space to store my content with 32GBs (the 16GB N4 didn't give me nearly enough space).
And it must have just about killed Google to admit that 8 gigs isn't enough for a phone. They don't want us using local storage.

Yogi217

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site

I bought the n4 a few months ago when it was on sale, but the camera was a step back from the S3... I thought I could make 12months and skip the N5, but what the heck.

At $400 (really 200-250 after I sell my n4), and planning on switching to net10 or straight talk and saving $25 a month... I could justify the upgrade.

I'm hooked on the Nexus experience in terms of software and want the improved camera. Especially with the Holidays coming. Lots of family and friend pictures to take.

Maybe I'll hold the n5 more than a year... Guess we will see what next year brings ;-)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site

There must be something wrong with my phone then -- the battery and camera seem like a great upgrade from my Nexus 4.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk