How to get Double Tap 2 Wake on Nexus 5

fidds

Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
Hey there people,

I am brand new to this Android stuff, pretty wicked so far, coming from an iPhone. Now that you all know that, I have no idea what to do with all this "rooted" or "bricked" stuff. All i want is i had tried an LG G2 for a week, and loved it, then my Nexus 5 I ordered come in, so I have that now. I love it so far, but I miss the "Double Tap 2 wake" feature. Can i get, in as easy way possible, how to do this? I've been searching and it is kind of confusing. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Hey there people,

I am brand new to this Android stuff, pretty wicked so far, coming from an iPhone. Now that you all know that, I have no idea what to do with all this "rooted" or "bricked" stuff. All i want is i had tried an LG G2 for a week, and loved it, then my Nexus 5 I ordered come in, so I have that now. I love it so far, but I miss the "Double Tap 2 wake" feature. Can i get, in as easy way possible, how to do this? I've been searching and it is kind of confusing. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

tap to wake is LG G2 specific feature. dont know if there is any alternative.

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
Tap tap app in the play store is one fix but it don't seem real stable yet. Worth a look

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

jairusz

Jul 22, 2012
Visit site
What do you know about it from what you were able to find?

There are developers that are working on custom kernels that will implement this feature for KitKat and there's an app called "TouchControl" (requires root) which can wake the screen through a gesture or double tap. Since 4.4 is new the devs need time to get this working. I suggest to read up and learn more about the customizing aspect (i.e. root, ROM, kernel, etc) on Android before delving further. Understanding what goes on when customizing really helped me in getting mods to work and react when hiccups happen.

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
It's generally a kernel feature. You can use the Touch Control app which can install kernel modules for your custom kernel to enable it (or you can install a kernel with it integrated).

Personally I use a kernel on my Nexus 4 that implement sweep2wake and sweep2sleep feature. However, some kernels doesn't implement it well so there are bugs like your lockscreen becomes unresponsive and you have to force powering off the device. Faux kernel or faux-based kernels usually have these features.

I see that they are out there, just no idea how to do this custom kernel thing. Im still researching that part.
Its not really recommended if you don't know what you're doing or understand the risks. If you do intend to flash custom kernels, learn how to backup and restore your device first in case things goes wrong. The instructions for flashing the Nexus 4 is exactly the same as Nexus 5, just need to use appropiate files for the N5 instead of N4 (factory images, recoveries and kernels). Know how to restore your device to factory state or consider your warranty void.

Rolandrice

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Double tap is awesome. I have been neglecting my N7 since getting my G2, and finally turned on the Nexus this weekend. Spent a good ten seconds double tapping to unlock it before I was like 'wait...'. It's such an intuitive way to turn the device on!

elizabath

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
Very interesting! Thank you for your input here. I've been toying with it on and off, and what I've found is not that the tap to turn on feature itself uses more battery, but that if I put it where that it gets bumped a lot, it seems to turn on the screen needlessly and use more power. After seeing your post, I think I will turn it back on for a while and see how it goes.

JRDEMASKUS

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
My Nokia 1520 Windows Phone has double tap to wake. It is ok.
But I like the Open to Wake and Close to Sleep feature that the case for my Nexus 5 has.
Don't even have to unlock the device to do a 2 finger sweep on the notification bar to reach the connectivity controls.
Still waiting on a case for the N1520.

lolwatpear

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
Hey there people,

This kernal right here:
[KERNEL] [Nov26] ElementalX 0.9 - xda-developers

ne0ne

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
Just played around with some custom kernels on my n5. Found a few that worked out just fine.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

mdandashly

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
Check out Gravity Screen. Doesn't do tap to wake, but can wake the phone when you pick it up and turn the screen off when u put it down or in your pocket

ConTejas

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Anything that's going to do this well will need root access, so I suggest you start with understanding how to unlock and root your Nexus 5. Generally speaking, I suggest learning to do it via terminal commands first so you understand adb/fastboot, but otherwise use WugFresh's toolkit. It just doesn't get any easier. Also, I suggest you do this IMMEDIATELY as unlocking (or relocking) completely wipes your device clean. Remember to read and follow the steps carefully, but it's really i d i o t proof (wow AC...that's a "bad" word). Plus, you have a Nexus so it's pretty much unbrickable. You can always restore the factory images available from Google.
Nexus Root Toolkit v1.7.9 | WugFresh
I highly recommend Franco's kernel and his app. I've been using this kernel with dt2w, s2w, etc based off of Franco's kernel and it's a BEAST!! Only notice a % or two more battery drain per hour using s2w, which I doubt is any more than the X uses via the dedicated processor.
[KERNEL] [N5] [S2W/DT2W] [GPL] Linaro Kernel | r23 | 3.4.74 | 4.4.2 | GCC 4.8.2 -O3 - xda-developers

Oh, and in regards to the "always listening" function. Yes, the s800 is capable of doing it just as well if not better than the X8 chipset, but Qualcomm hasn't released the necessary code (only to OEMs so far) and it's taking longer than expected to be reverse engineered. I'm sure we'll have it soon enough. Other than the car situation you mentioned, I find it rather ridiculous and only talk/command my phone privately. With dt2w/s2w, I can unlock and talk to my phone without looking at it. Just can't yell at it from across the room....yet. LOL.

Twyf

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
I second the advice to immediately unlock the bootloader at least and even root your Nexus 5. Learn about ABD sideload and fastboot.

I am very new to Android and yet within 10 days had sideloaded the 4.4.2 update then rooted the device.

I am running Cataclysm ROM, Bricked-Kernel, TWRP recovery, Trickster MOD app. My battery life is great, everything works and looks great, including DT2W. I don't think the configuration I am running supports S2W and/or S2S, but NBD, not interested.

I learned everything I know on this and the other forums. Lots of trial and error, much furrowed brow and fevered muttering.

Big thanks to the Android community for all the good info, especially the YouTube tutorials. And thanks to Google and LG for producing this bulletproof and seemingly unbrickable device.

Posted via Android Central App