Double Tap to Turn on Screen is the spawn of the devil!

gomezz

May 8, 2021
Visit site
At least that is the conclusion I have finally arrived at today after months, nay years, of trying to reliably stop my S20 from pocket-surfing. I have finally, if belatedly accepted, that the only real, solid solution is to turn Double Tap to Turn on Screen firmly OFF. Does this mean you have to rely on the side key to turn on the screen? Well, that is one option but the Lift to Wake feature provides an acceptable (to me) alternative.

That is at least two third-party Screen Lock apps I have tried to make force to fit to make them do what I want that I can let be.

gomezz

May 8, 2021
Visit site
Turns out this is not the answer after all. Been for a walk today and when I took my phone from my pocket it had come up (for the umpteenth time in recent days) on the Emergency Call screen. So now I have re-enabled Double to Turn on Screen and disabled Lift to Wake.

It does seem curious that this had only reared its ugly head again after I have switched to wearing my summer-weight cargo trousers and shorts which have very thin pocket linings which I assumed was allowing perspiration and movement from my rippling thigh muscles to be interpretated as screen touches and swipes. Perhaps I need to switch to having the screen facing away when in my pocket but that seems to expose it to accidental impact damage.

Another point to consider is that this past week I have not been using Bluetooth earbuds while out walking as I do usually as I have been listening to the test cricket over wired earbuds to my personal DAB radio instead which means that Smart Lock is not keeping the phone unlocked and so not popping up the Emergency Call button which it seems cannot be hidden in any other way except by keeping the phone unlocked.

Otherwise I may try persisting with the Touch Protector app alongside turning Screen Lock off for four hours which I have set up as a Bixby Routine widget to use when I go for a walk.

Last edited:

gomezz

May 8, 2021
Visit site
Three new things to consider

1) I see reports of the Emergency Service reporting a spike in emergency calls following Android's implementation of the Five Button Presses to Call "feature". I had a couple of these but now turned it off as advised by the authorities, at least until Android and / or Samsung get their act together on this.

2) I have seen a suggestion to go into Kid's Mode to disable the Quick Optipns pull down. I have set this up as an option with my most common phone. messaging and audio media player apps made available (curiously Google Maps is not add-able).

3) I have now realised that if I activate Do Not Disturb then that will stop pressable notifications popping up on the lock sreen.

Those in combination with Keep Phone Unlocked activated and using the Touch Protector app bundled up in a Bixby routine which I have called Pocket Lock will hopefully once and for all nail it down though sadly going into Kid's Mode cannot be incorporated and has to be done manually.

Last edited:

gomezz

May 8, 2021
Visit site
I have given up with trying technical solutions to what should be a simple thing of having the screen locked and staying locked while in my pocket - no emergency calls, no quick button activations, no notification actions.

I have gone back to a previous solution of lining my pocket with half a mouse mat, cut to shape. Works perfectly.

gomezz

May 8, 2021
Visit site
Severe road test today and the pocket liner remedy proven 100% successful. I am even tempted to allow media controls back on the lock screen - but decided against as unnecessary when using my normal Bluetooth headphones or earbuds which have built in play control buttons.

Reactions: mustang7757

bobdob

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
For me the problem seems to be worst when I am sweating at all, and caused by the emergency dial screen (all other lock screen functionality is disabled). So similarly, I have started using a flip case when doing yard work. Works perfectly, but that style of case is too inconvenient for me to use all the time.

gomezz

May 8, 2021
Visit site
Using a shaped piece of mouse mat as a pocket liner is the same in effect as using a flip case. When working I use a belt holster instead as I do not want to put the phone in a trouser pocket where it can be banged against by the heavy trays I carry as part of the job.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TSFDeymos