Do NOT BUY Nexus 5 if you want Miracast that works

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
The Miracast does not work, at least it will not pair with the same Panasonic device on which my Nexus 7 tablet works just fine. Fix this fast please LG, or give me my money back, because it's the reason that I bought this phone

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
The Miracast does not work, at least it will not pair with the same Panasonic device on which my Nexus 7 tablet works just fine. Fix this fast please LG, or give me my money back, because it's the reason that I bought this phone

Welcome to the forums.
If you haven't had the device that long, you could return it to who you purchased it from. Although, if the Miracast is older than the Nexus, perhaps an update to the Miracast may be in order?

jairusz

Jul 22, 2012
Visit site
I doubt anyone who can help you from LG is reading this forum so contact wherever you bought the Nexus 5 for an exchange or refund.

That answer was obvious so you probably came here to let off steam. I blame the half hearted adoption of miracast as a standard. Personally, I've had no problems getting miracast to work with my Wifi Ez Cast.

Sent from my mobile device using an app.

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
Looks pretty good streaming TV here at the 2:40 mark. Granted this video is in Spanish but you can see it well. I will test out my NetGear PTV3000 Push2TV that I haven't got around to testing it yet with the Nexus 5. After I got a Chromecast the Miracast didn't seem to be that important for me anymore.

Last edited:

Cunninghamster

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
I'm having the same issue. Are you trying to stream to a 1080p TV?

I got a Panasonic streaming box today also... Nexus 4 and Samsung Galaxy S4 work fine.

I'm at the mother in laws so have only tried to stream to a 720p tv. I'm wondering if the problem is trying to stream from a 1080p device (Nexus 5) to a 720p tv.

What do you think?

Last edited:

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, I see I have approval for the links. But, on the XDA board there is a thread of people having issues with Nexus 5 and the PANASONIC - DMP-MS10EB-K

[URL="http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2522000&page=2"]wireless display (miracast) Panasonic BluRay Model 230

[/URL]

In another thread about PTV3000;

The Netgear "PTV3000 running firmware version 2.4.26. The PTV3000 actually works very well since the latest firmware update,"

Lets just say after reading the PTV3000 thread they say it works great for streaming video but has a lot of lag for games. They also say they like the Chomecast better for streaming which is why I haven't even tired my old PTV3000 that I got for my 2012 Nexus 7 that didn't support Miracast with it's single channel Wi-Fi.

Last edited:

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure of the rules here so I won't post a link. But, on the XDA board there is a thread of people having issues with Nexus 5 and the PANASONIC - DMP-MS10EB-K

In another thread;

The Netgear "PTV3000 running firmware version 2.4.26. The PTV3000 actually works very well since the latest firmware update,"

Lets just say after reading the PTV3000 thread they say it works great for streaming video but has a lot of lag for games. They also say they like the Chomecast better for streaming which is why I haven't even tired my old PTV3000 that I got for my 2012 Nexus 7 that didn't support Miracast with it's single channel Wi-Fi.

Go ahead and post the links.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
The way how Miracast works, the delay is unavoidable. In fact, the delay on my N5 is less than the delay on my desktop running Intel core i-3. It is good for occasional presentations. Not for video streaming.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
update: I borrowed a Nexus 4, and that works fine with the same Panasonic device.

So, now I have Ainol tablet, Nexus 7 tablet, and Nexus 4 phone all work great

Panasonic has latest firmware, as do all the tablets and phones

the NEXUS 5 still DOES NOT WORK and is the odd one out

Someone suggested (above) that it could be a resolution mismatch, but that seems to be ruled out by the fact we are talking about a Bluray player, anyway (not a display) and the fact that Nexus 4 works OK

All I can see is that the Nexus 5 should never have been certified for Miracast!

same experience as you ... I have now borrowed and tested a Nexus 4, and that has no problems

As far as tv resolution is concerned, it seems irrelevant, beacuse it never even gets so far as to talk to the Bluray player, and then frequently crashes one or both devices

I'm having the same issue. Are you trying to stream to a 1080p TV?

I got a Panasonic streaming box today also... Nexus 4 and Samsung Galaxy S4 work fine.

I'm at the mother in laws so have only tried to stream to a 720p tv. I'm wondering if the problem is trying to stream from a 1080p device (Nexus 5) to a 720p tv.

What do you think?

Last edited by a moderator:

jairusz

Jul 22, 2012
Visit site
As I said before, miracast as a whole is a horrible standard. I can't get a Surface Pro 2 to connect to my Ez Cast but my Nexus devices work just fine. It's because no company, especially a few in the Wifi Alliance, follows protocol yet all these devices are certified even with flaky compatibility. If miracast is that important to you then either buy a compatible phone for your receiver or vice versa. I'm hoping for the former.

u3agadaj.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
gets rather expensive just buying phones in the HOPE they will work, don't you think!

nexus 5 is conspicuously absent from your "helpful" list

As I said before, miracast as a whole is a horrible standard. I can't get a Surface Pro 2 to connect to my Ez Cast but my Nexus devices work just fine. It's because no company, especially a few in the Wifi Alliance, follows protocol yet all these devices are certified even with flaky compatibility. If miracast is that important to you then either buy a compatible phone for your receiver or vice versa. I'm hoping for the former.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/30/u3agadaj.jpg

jairusz

Jul 22, 2012
Visit site
Wow...I guessed your intelligence from your profile pic and I was right. Obviously you can't comprehend the point I was making so I'll just leave this thread with one piece of advice: get rid of your Nexus 5 and buy an iPhone.

NotJustAPhone

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Keep the discussion civil and on-topic. I suggest that the participants here take the time to review the forum rules.

Sent from my Galaxy Note II

espghia

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
Adrian, have you tried this for the Nexus 5:

"To turn on the wireless display feature, go to Settings > Display > Cast screen > Menu, then check the box next to ?Enable Wireless Display.?

"You can cast the screen to wirelessly stream video and audio to a variety of displays and other devices that support Miracast - even when a standard Wi-Fi network isn?t available. For example, you can cast the screen to show your device?s screen on a TV equipped with a certified Miracast adapter."

Also, what standard HDMI cable are you using? I think it's meant to be v1.4.

Cheers and good luck!

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Wow...I guessed your intelligence from your profile pic and I was right. Obviously you can't comprehend the point I was making so I'll just leave this thread with one piece of advice: get rid of your Nexus 5 and buy an iPhone.

lol, and of course profile pics are always real as is every fb profile. If you try and be patronising with me buddy, you can always be sure of getting it back in spadefuls. Happy new year

Thanks for the genuine response.

I am using the Miracast successfully with 3 other devices, Samsung S4, Nexus 7 tablet, and Ainol Discover 10" tablet

Only Nexus 5 has a problem

The HDMI cable is not relevant, as we never even get so far as talking fully to the Miracast (Panasonic) device

Adrian, have you tried this for the Nexus 5:

"To turn on the wireless display feature, go to Settings > Display > Cast screen > Menu, then check the box next to “Enable Wireless Display.”

"You can cast the screen to wirelessly stream video and audio to a variety of displays and other devices that support Miracast - even when a standard Wi-Fi network isn’t available. For example, you can cast the screen to show your device’s screen on a TV equipped with a certified Miracast adapter."

Also, what standard HDMI cable are you using? I think it's meant to be v1.4.

Cheers and good luck!

Also, what runtime environment are you using ART or Dalvic? Might not run on ART.

now you have lost me

Miracast is meant to be a simple consumer tool. I just want to pick up my phone, push connect, and have it work. If the various manufacturers cannot achieve that goal then they may as well give up, in my opinion. A child should be able to use it, out of the box, and intuitively, without any expert knowledge

Last edited by a moderator:

pkufellow

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
Here is another example of incompatible device: Lenovo WD100. I bought it quite cheap (<$30), and got excited seeing Nexus 5 can find it in "Cast Screen" -- but it cannot connect! There are two typical patterns: Either showing "connecting..." for a long while, then WD100 resets, and Nexus 5 will crash; or show "Connecting..." for a few seconds then WD 100 resets and Nexus 5 back to the pre-connection screen.

So I thought my $20+ is wasted... wait, my wife has a Nexus 4! So I grabbed it -- within 15 seconds (I mean it) its screen is projected on my TV!!!! Played some Youtube videos -- with a few glitches but hey the video is on my TV.

Both Nexuses ran 4.4.2, so the difference cannot be SW but must be HW or driver.

Will LG ever fix it? LG certain knows how to make it right since it makes both 4 & 5.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123dzo