Syncing calendars to Windows 8

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
Howdy!

I just recently purchased a Nexus 5. I was a Windows Phone 8 user so this is a big change for me since this is my first ever Android device. With my Windows Phone, one thing I used to use a lot was the calendars. Whatever I would put in my phone would go onto my Calendars app in my Windows 8 laptop and reversal. It'll popup and give me notifications. With Android, I have noticed I can't do that. I am now using Google Calendars. What is a solution I can use so that whatever reminder I put in my calendars in my Nexus goes directly to my computer and I get notifications automatically?

Thank you,

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I use Checker Plus for Google Calendar, which is a desktop Chrome extension. It gives you quick access to your Google Calendars using a little button in the nav bar, and there are also options for popup notifications as long as you have Chrome open on your desktop/laptop.

So if you enter an event into your Calendar app on your phone, it should sync automatically to your Google Calendar on your desktop/laptop Chrome, and Checker Plus would then show a popup notification depending on that event's alarm setting.

pseudoware

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Add your Microsoft account to your Nexus, and enable calendar sync. You can also disable calendar sync for your Google account, or select your Microsoft calendar when adding calendar events on your phone.

Or, keep using Google calendar on your Nexus, and on your laptop, just open up Google calendar in a browser. Of course, you lose the desktop notifications this way.

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Google used to have a Calendar Sync application, but they have stopped supporting it for the free google accounts (on the paid google apps accounts, they have contacts and calendar sync available to sync outlook and gmail contacts/calendar)

While Google doesn't support/provide this application, you can find it by searching the web. I use it on my computers - just a simple exe that you can set up to perform a sync between MS outlook and Google calendars (you can set up if you want one-way or both ways sync, and the frequency). Works pretty reliably.

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I use Checker Plus for Google Calendar, which is a desktop Chrome extension. It gives you quick access to your Google Calendars using a little button in the nav bar, and there are also options for popup notifications as long as you have Chrome open on your desktop/laptop.

So if you enter an event into your Calendar app on your phone, it should sync automatically to your Google Calendar on your desktop/laptop Chrome, and Checker Plus would then show a popup notification depending on that event's alarm setting.

I really like this extension. I have it set up in my desktop now. I got a few questions though. Does it work when Chrome is closed? Also, does it work offline?

Thanks!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
No, Chrome needs to be open. Not sure if you have to be online for previously synced events to alert you.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
In desktop Chrome's Settings, if you select the Advanced Settings, there is an option to "Continue running background apps when Google Chrome is closed." I'm not sure if that will work.

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
OP, just add your Microsoft account to your N5 and call it a day. You don't have to use Google calendar or even gmail. When you create new calendar events, make sure you choose the correct calendar to enter. Then all will be synced correctly with your Win 8 or even WP 8.

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
OP, just add your Microsoft account to your N5 and call it a day. You don't have to use Google calendar or even gmail. When you create new calendar events, make sure you choose the correct calendar to enter. Then all will be synced correctly with your Win 8 or even WP 8.

True, except you don't get the Google Now features that are associated to events in the Google Calendar.

Jeff Wear1

Jan 21, 2015
Visit site
OK, here's the fastest and easiest way to make this work... The problem is that your Android Phone is using Google's Calendar and your PC is using the calendar associated with your Microsoft Live account... In my case I set up my Microsoft Live account using my gmail address, the same one used to login to my google account. Anyway, Google Calendar does not like to talk to Microsoft Live (or vise versa) So, the solution is to have a "traffic cop" of sorts hadle the sync for you, and that application can be found in Outlook.com app from the Google Play Store.

Open the PlayStore and seach for the app Outlook.com (yes be sure and add the .com to the end of it) Once installed, it will ask you to login to your Microsoft Live Account and verify you. Then it will ask if you'd like to sync things like email and calendars, click yes to all of them... Then start the Sync process...

The cool thing is that you never have to open or login to Outlook.com app again... BY doing this once, it will actually add oll of the events on your PC's Windows 8 Calendar directly into the built in Google Calendar on your Android Phone... Hope this helps!