Question about Telus Nexus 5 (is it unlocked?)

Michael_CS

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
Hey Folks,

One of the guys at work got himself a Nexus 5 (through Telus) and the device is not meeting his current business needs. It was sort of a demo as our main fleet consist of Samsung devices (S4, S5 and Note3 etc). I am thinking of buying this phone from the company as my existing Nexus 5 is cracked.

The issue is that I am on Virgin Mobile Canada.

Is there a way that I can unlock this phone or is it already unlocked? I am reading conflicting reports that Telus will unlock your devices if you ask them but I am also reading that the Nexus 5 is already unlocked and will work with whatever SIM you install in it.

Thoughts?

Michael_CS

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
Wow really? I woulda thought out of 128 views SOMEONE would know.

Are all Nexus 5s unlocked or do local carriers lock them?

rhea

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
All Nexus 5's are sold carrier unlocked. If you have a device that uses a micro sim, you can try it on the N5.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Wow really? I woulda thought out of 128 views SOMEONE would know.

It is likely that some of the 128 knew, but didn't want to answer (since it has been answered several times in the past) :)
As rhea said, the Nexus 5 is carrier unlocked. You can pop in your microSIM card (or go to the local carrier store and ask them for a microSIM) and test it out. If for some reason, you find that it is locked (again, this is possible only if the carrier modified the software on the phone), you can always flash the google factory images and get back to stock (which would be unlocked).

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Yep..... The Nexus bootloader is locked (but easily unlocked), but the carrier locking BS that some phones have is non-existent.... Google forbids it and they'd most likely lose their crap if a carrier slipped some stuff in there.

And carriers don't want to make Google angry, they wouldn't like it when Google's angry.

Michael_CS

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
Thanks fellas. It looks like we are gonna return this device to our supplier rather than keep it since it can't run our specific encryption and enrollment software. Sadly they won't let me buy it from the company for the early upgrade fee price. Looks like I'll have to replace the shattered screen on my N5 myself. I may just take it to Pac Mall here in Toronto area and get it fixed and then wait for the N6 to come out.

MidtownHD

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
all nexus 5's are unlocked regarding GSM carriers. If your carrier is cdma, then that's another story.
Regarding your encryption/enrollment software, it's not that it can't run it, it's probably "unsupported."

Ynnuendo1991

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
I sell the nexus 5 with virgin and others and it is unlocked. You may have to configure your apn manually though, to get it working on another network than the one it came pre-set with.

Posted via Android Central App

Michael_CS

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
all nexus 5's are unlocked regarding GSM carriers. If your carrier is cdma, then that's another story.
Regarding your encryption/enrollment software, it's not that it can't run it, it's probably "unsupported."

Yeah Nexus 5 is supposedly "supported" as "Android" but not "Android +". This means we wouldn't get the Remote Control feature and we don't get a few of the Android + features that the software offers. In reality though when you install the app and attempt to enroll your device it can't find the enrollment ID's. They are "Creating a ticket on the issue" meaning "Meh, we might look in to it". Our fleet standard is Samsung which is too bad cause the N5 is cheaper per contract and a much nicer version of Android IMHO.