Why am I getting the error message Unfortunately, Google Search has stopped. ?

bubbl07

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
"Unfortunately, Google Search has stopped." - crashing often and killing battery

Hi everyone,

I'm having some trouble with Google Search crashing 10-20 times per day. It seemed to occur a couple of weeks ago, which coincides with either the Gmail 5.0 or latest Google Search update.

In addition to crashing the battery, I'm unable to customize Google Now (the wand icon) - it goes to the white screen but all I see the spinning circle on a blank page.

This also started happening on my wife's Moto X (2013) around the same time with the same symptoms (battery drain, crash dialogs, inability to customize Google Now).

Any help would be appreciated, as this is driving both of us crazy! TIA.

bubbl07

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Re: "Unfortunately, Google Search has stopped." - crashing often and killing battery

Also, neither phone is rooted and all apps were installed from the Play Store if that matters (no apk sideloads)

Benjamin_NYC

Banned
May 15, 2014
Visit site
Re: "Unfortunately, Google Search has stopped." - crashing often and killing battery

I don't have this issue, and I have the horrible Gmail 5.0 app. Maybe clear your cache partition.

Posted via the Android Central App

bubbl07

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site

Thanks Benjamin, I've already done that and cleared the data for G search/Gmail

Shaun Beacham

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site

Having same exact issue on my OG Moto X. It's ridiculously annoying.

doorpeep

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site

Hi, I was having this issue too, along with Google Now constantly saying it was unable to connect to the internet when I would manually try to refresh it..

Anyways, I appear to have solved the problem, on my phone at least, by uninstalling Google search updates ("Google" app in the Play store), and then reinstalling it when prompted by Google Now.

I had to re arrange my home screens after doing this, but as of last Friday, no more "unfortunately, google search has stopped" pop-ups, which had been occurring 10+ times a day for weeks before.

I have a nexus 5..
Hope it works for you too..

Best,

auutumn

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site

About 2 days after getting my phone and using Google's search, "OK Google", it started to crash regularly. There were also noticeable delays in searching for existing reminders, deleting reminders, and creating reminders all from the same page.

After a week I got frustrated so I cleared the cache and things improved for a day then started breaking down again. At this point I rarely rely on Google search for anything.

I'd like to know if this is strickly a Google issue and/or if it's related to the phone, carrier, etc.? As Google has gotten so big, to me it appears that they're behaving like Microsoft in which I find you can't talk to anyone at the company let alone leave them feedback.

If there's any constructive feedback/suggestions, please let me know.

bubbl07

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site

Thanks for the suggestion Doorpeep. I'm going to wait to see until the Google Search/Now Launcher updates hit to see if that solves it first (they should be rolling out now in the Play Store). TBH, I'm just being lazy and don't feel like setting up my homescreen again haha.

If that doesn't solve it I'll definitely try your suggestion out!

nemov

Mar 7, 2010
Visit site

I've been having the same issue for several weeks now on the OG Moto X.

bubbl07

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site

When I originally read/skimmed this article, I thought it would be rolling out to 4.4 devices. After reading it again, though, it sounds like it's going to be a slow roll out.

I'll give doorpeep's idea a try tomorrow and report back!

bubbl07

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site

So I didn't end up doing it this past weekend, but I did get the Lollipop update today. Unfortunately, it didn't work so I tried doorpeep's idea and it worked!

Thanks again, sir - this was bothering me like crazy. Will do it on my wife's phone, as well. Never figured out what the cause was, but oh well.

sharkfab

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site

Solved! - - I've been having the exact same issue(s) as described here. Clearing cache on anything / rebooting never fixed anything, what I finally did was a reset of my phone. Everything works great since. Annoyed but happy I went through the trouble.

Canuckfan

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site

So I didn't end up doing it this past weekend, but I did get the Lollipop update today. Unfortunately, it didn't work so I tried doorpeep's idea and it worked!

Thanks again, sir - this was bothering me like crazy. Will do it on my wife's phone, as well. Never figured out what the cause was, but oh well.
So how did you uninstall the the Google app? I've also updated to Lollipop. For me at least, it seems like there is no option to uninstall the app (since it's a system app I think)

Shaun Beacham

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site

It can't be uninstalled entirely unless you are rooted, but instead it gives you the option to uninstall updates, which is what was suggested in this thread.

Canuckfan

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site

It can't be uninstalled entirely unless you are rooted, but instead it gives you the option to uninstall updates, which is what was suggested in this thread.
Right, I don't seem to have that option either (I only see the "Force Stop" as an option. The disable button is even grayed out).

bubbl07

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site

To Canuckfan: Apologies, I didn't actually uninstall it since it can't be in Lollipop.

I deleted all the data, re-enabled all my apps that I had disabled (various Asian language keyboards and other apps I don't use). I had to reset my home screen icons but it all works fine now. I re-disabled all those apps afterwards except for Google Keyboard, which was causing issues with the settings app (I use SwiftKey).

jackosterman

Feb 22, 2014
Visit site

The ultimate test is to see if Google Now will hold up beyond a few days. I've been going through a rinse-and-repeat cycle of clearing my app data a couple of times a week, for the past month or so. Every time I hit the third day or so, I think to myself, "Could this be it!?"

Hopefully, some of you guys will fair better.

Samblackjack

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site

Thanks, doorpeep. I uninstalled "Google" in the Play store, which removed updates, and then re-updated when prompted by Google Now, and my Nexus 4 seems to be back to normal now. It was previously running slow and I kept on getting the "unfortunately, Google Search has stopped." message. I didn't have to rearrange my home screen either.

doorpeep

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site

Glad it worked for everyone, it was driving me insane too..

Cheers

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci