11-29-2015 10:32 PM
129 1234 ...
tools
    I also would like to keep my Exchange accounts separate from the gmail app.

When you open the email app and click on 'learn more' it says it is possible to use the separate apps for different email accounts, and that you can do this via Settings > Accounts. But all this allows you to do is switch on/off which accounts are currently syncing, not select which apps are used for which accounts.
    11-19-2014 05:29 AM
    I also would like to keep my Exchange accounts separate from the gmail app.

When you open the email app and click on 'learn more' it says it is possible to use the separate apps for different email accounts, and that you can do this via Settings > Accounts. But all this allows you to do is switch on/off which accounts are currently syncing, not select which apps are used for which accounts.
    I doubt they mean that. Who knows where that came from. The new Gmail has definitely replaced the Email app.

If you want separate apps, like I do, get Nine. By far the best Exchange app, 10,000 times better than that garbage Gmail/Email for Exchange.

Posted via the Android Central App
    11-19-2014 06:58 AM
    I doubt they mean that. Who knows where that came from. The new Gmail has definitely replaced the Email app.

If you want separate apps, like I do, get Nine. By far the best Exchange app, 10,000 times better than that garbage Gmail/Email for Exchange.

The full help message reads:

Manage all your mail in Gmail

If you use the Email app on some Android devices, you might notice that your mail has already been transferred to the new Gmail app. Don’t worry, none of your data has been lost—it's just in a new place.

With the latest Gmail app, you can read and send mail from all your email addresses (even if none of them are a gmail.com or Google for Work account), and easily switch between them.

Use separate apps for different accounts

If you have email from other providers, like Yahoo or Hotmail, that you don't want to manage on the Gmail app, follow these steps:

Go to the Settings app on your phone. Scroll down to the Accounts section. Under POP3 or IMAP, you should see a list of your non-Gmail email addresses. Remove the ones that you don't want to manage on the Gmail app.

As always, if you prefer to use a different email application, other apps are available for download in the Play Store.

I guess the last line is not saying that if you don't want to have all your accounts in the gmail app you can use the Android email app I was using before, but instead need to purchase a third party app.
    11-19-2014 08:22 AM
    GOOGLE MUST BE STOPPED. Their message, "Don't be evil," notwithstanding, Google is evil. They wanted control of all email traffic and tried to get it through "Mail Fetcher," but too many users objected. So, now, the Machiavellian gnomes at Google have simply killed the email app by absorbing it directly into their gmail app. And now there is no longer any choice at all. The sneaky Google mob kindly and clearly tells you how to opt out of having your emails appear in the gmail app but after you set up your non gmail account it simply reappears in the gmail app. How very devilish. It is no wonder they have been fined so often by government regulatory agencies for unsavory business practices.

Take heart, though, there are several good free email apps you can get from the Google play store, such as myMail. I suggest this be the first step in abandoning Google, and so kill their ambitions to take over the world. Yahoo, Bing and others, depending on your needs will do much the same for you without worrying about feeding the runaway behemoth that is Google.
    Kamin likes this.
    11-19-2014 02:12 PM
    The full help message reads:

Manage all your mail in Gmail

If you use the Email app on some Android devices, you might notice that your mail has already been transferred to the new Gmail app. Don’t worry, none of your data has been lost—it's just in a new place.

With the latest Gmail app, you can read and send mail from all your email addresses (even if none of them are a gmail.com or Google for Work account), and easily switch between them.

Use separate apps for different accounts

If you have email from other providers, like Yahoo or Hotmail, that you don't want to manage on the Gmail app, follow these steps:

Go to the Settings app on your phone. Scroll down to the Accounts section. Under POP3 or IMAP, you should see a list of your non-Gmail email addresses. Remove the ones that you don't want to manage on the Gmail app.

As always, if you prefer to use a different email application, other apps are available for download in the Play Store.

I guess the last line is not saying that if you don't want to have all your accounts in the gmail app you can use the Android email app I was using before, but instead need to purchase a third party app.
    They mean you can use a third party app like Nine for Exchange or Yahoo for Yahoo, etc.

11-19-2014 02:24 PM
    GOOGLE MUST BE STOPPED. Their message, "Don't be evil," notwithstanding, Google is evil. They wanted control of all email traffic and tried to get it through "Mail Fetcher," but too many users objected. So, now, the Machiavellian gnomes at Google have simply killed the email app by absorbing it directly into their gmail app. And now there is no longer any choice at all. The sneaky Google mob kindly and clearly tells you how to opt out of having your emails appear in the gmail app but after you set up your non gmail account it simply reappears in the gmail app. How very devilish. It is no wonder they have been fined so often by government regulatory agencies for unsavory business practices.

Take heart, though, there are several good free email apps you can get from the Google play store, such as myMail. I suggest this be the first step in abandoning Google, and so kill their ambitions to take over the world. Yahoo, Bing and others, depending on your needs will do much the same for you without worrying about feeding the runaway behemoth that is Google.
    What the hell are you talking about? Who do you think controlled the "Email" app before the integration into Gmail?

neilmceachin likes this.
    11-19-2014 02:25 PM
    Yeah, I get it. Thanks for the Nine recommendation. I'm trialling it now, and like what I see so far.
    11-19-2014 03:28 PM
    Yeah, I get it. Thanks for the Nine recommendation. I'm trialling it now, and like what I see so far.
    Cool. Agree the google language was unclear. In other news, the sky is blue.

11-19-2014 07:51 PM
    And why would pay for Nine 9.99$ for very occasional use? Does not make any sense. gMail client covers perfectly my gMail, for exchange will use what is best there for free or at least at NORMAL price for marked, usually tops 2 or 3$.
    11-20-2014 04:44 AM
    And why would pay for Nine 9.99$ for very occasional use? Does not make any sense. gMail client covers perfectly my gMail, for exchange will use what is best there for free or at least at NORMAL price for marked, usually tops 2 or 3$.
    Who said very limited use? Exchange mail is my most frequently accessed feature of my phone. In terms of "NORMAL" price, you get what you pay for. The Gmail Exchange client is almost unusable for real professionals that get lot of email.

gsuburban likes this.
    11-20-2014 05:15 AM
    I have not yet received the Lollipop update but my friend did and mentioned that the Stock Email app is going away. So I have been trying it out for over a day in parallel to the Stock Email app (since I am still on KitKat). I have been receiving double email notifications and have been checking the email on both apps and going through the same motions. What I noticed that based on same usage, Nine seems to eat up more battery than the Stock Email app. Even though it is still low in greater scheme of things (it is registering at some 6-7% in the battery usage stats but the Stock Email App does not even show up on the list.

While 6-7% does not sound like a good deal but it is still more usage than the Stock App. Has anyone else noticed the battery usage?

Also, two other email apps recommended to me were MailBox and Boxer. Anyone has experience with those? And I think some years back there used to be an Enhanced Email app as well which was a mod of the stock app and some people really loved it.

Thanks
    11-20-2014 12:13 PM
    I have not yet received the Lollipop update but my friend did and mentioned that the Stock Email app is going away. So I have been trying it out for over a day in parallel to the Stock Email app (since I am still on KitKat). I have been receiving double email notifications and have been checking the email on both apps and going through the same motions. What I noticed that based on same usage, Nine seems to eat up more battery than the Stock Email app. Even though it is still low in greater scheme of things (it is registering at some 6-7% in the battery usage stats but the Stock Email App does not even show up on the list.

While 6-7% does not sound like a good deal but it is still more usage than the Stock App. Has anyone else noticed the battery usage?

Also, two other email apps recommended to me were MailBox and Boxer. Anyone has experience with those? And I think some years back there used to be an Enhanced Email app as well which was a mod of the stock app and some people really loved it.

Thanks
    I think it does use a little more battery. So what?

No, not MailBox, not Boxer. NINE.

11-20-2014 01:21 PM
    Thx for the tip on Nine everyone, as I just upgraded to L and really want to keep my work email separate. Downloaded Nine but can't get it to connect to my server. I put in all the correct info and double checked it was accurate. Any suggestions? Thx.
    11-20-2014 03:45 PM
    The additional battery usage does not seem too bad to make much of a difference I guess. I also found out that Boxer acquired the Dev team for Enhanced Email to that team's efforts have moved into boxer too. There is no Exchange trial for Boxer so it is hard to compare it with Nine and Stock App for now. Mailbox it seems does not have Exchange Syncing as of now.
    11-20-2014 03:46 PM
    Thx for the tip on Nine everyone, as I just upgraded to L and really want to keep my work email separate. Downloaded Nine but can't get it to connect to my server. I put in all the correct info and double checked it was accurate. Any suggestions? Thx.
    Some Exchange servers require manual configuration. Contact your administrator.

11-20-2014 04:36 PM
    1. The AC podcast this week sugarcoated how fouled up Lollipoop is. I hate it. (There is a market for a non-Google Android phone (like they have in China).

2. Destroying the stock email app. was a stupid choice. Why would I want to be forced to use the gmail app?

3. Nine seems okay for Exchange/Outlook accounts. But it seems limited to Exchange accounts.

4. Mailwise app appears to support both Exchange and non-Exchange (such as Pop or IMAP email accounts). Mailwise appears to be the closest to the stock email account that Google destroyed. But there is a stupid "Sent by Mailwise" signature that you have to go in and erase in the settings.

IMPORTANT:
    You need to go into Settings in the device and then Accounts and delete the various email accounts sucked into the gmail app.

I cannot say enough bad things about "Lollipop" (it is for suckers). And I am chagrined that the Android Central podcast was full of so much Google apologia about Lollipoop.
    11-22-2014 02:18 PM
    Me too. I hate this new idea. Email is still in your apps but if you set up an account in it it still take you to the gmail app. Hope they restore the email app and gallery app in the next update.

11-22-2014 05:13 PM
    I don't understand why they kept the stock email app in the L update if they aren't going to allow us to use it?

Hopefully that means they have a proper update coming for it in a future update.

I have a POP3 email account that came with my broadband account and I'd like to keep it completely separate from my Gmail setup.

I'm going to see if I can separate it to Inbox.

Posted via Android Central App
    11-23-2014 01:35 PM
    Why do you people want the Email app back?? It was horrible. The Gmail app Exchange features are identical to what Email was (which is garbage), but what's the difference?

For Exchange, you need Nine. For everything else, the new Gmail app is fine.

11-23-2014 04:38 PM
    Lollipoop sucks. I wish I had never "upgraded" to this pos software.

The Android Central boys should be ashamed of the way they absolutely sugarcoated the lag that Lollipoop leaves behind on your device. I hate this system, and I am disappointed in the Android Central boys. My tablet is now a sluggish piece of crap.

Benjamin, please cut the Google apologia. Many of us have never liked gMail and will not use it..
    11-25-2014 01:06 AM
    That weird. Talk to your Exchange manager?

Well...my exchange contacts did not sync- at least a large number of them did not - even though contacts are selected for synchronization and shows last sync time of just a few minutes ago. Grrr.
    Same problem here. After OTA Lolipop upgrade, I only got a little part of my contacts from exchange. All of the most important contacts (mom, wife, sis, etc) were missing.
    I then tried a cache partition wipe. After this, most of my contacts were synced. First I thought I now got all of them, but there are still a few missing.

And it's not a problem of the Exchange service or servers. Those contacts were synced fine under kit kat, are syncing fine in Outlook and even on my old WebOS Touchpad and my Pre 3 the Exchange sync works without Problem.
    Definitely a problem with either Lollipop or the GMail app...

PS: does the installation of another mailclient change the contacts sync behaviour? Probably not eh?
    11-25-2014 03:03 AM
    LOL apologia? You just not read my posts. All I'm saying is that there is no difference between having email in Email or Gmail.

11-25-2014 08:02 AM
    Same problem here. After OTA Lolipop upgrade, I only got a little part of my contacts from exchange. All of the most important contacts (mom, wife, sis, etc) were missing.
    I then tried a cache partition wipe. After this, most of my contacts were synced. First I thought I now got all of them, but there are still a few missing.

And it's not a problem of the Exchange service or servers. Those contacts were synced fine under kit kat, are syncing fine in Outlook and even on my old WebOS Touchpad and my Pre 3 the Exchange sync works without Problem.
    Definitely a problem with either Lollipop or the GMail app...

PS: does the installation of another mailclient change the contacts sync behaviour? Probably not eh?
    That's very annoying. Guess I'm lucky. I'm also smart because I use Nine, as you should.

11-25-2014 08:03 AM
    I've finally got Nine working for my work email and looks good so far. Just a couple of issues/questions for the experts here. Each time i go into the App, it requires a pass code. I don't need this level of security on this app alone, but I can't figure out how to disable this. When I go into security settings, the pass code option is checked and grayed out so it wont let me untik the box. Any suggestions? (NOTE: I HAVE NOW DETERMINED THIS IS A SYSTEM SETTING BY MY IT GUYS) .

Second question: so since I have Nine working now, do I need to disable the exchange account on Gmail app or just ignore it? I think so as I'm getting duplicate notifications, which is annoying. Not sure how to do this as when I try to delete through Manage Accounts it only gives me the option to turn off sync, not to delete account.

Any suggestions on the second issue would be much appreciated. Thx.

11-25-2014 09:07 AM
    I've finally got Nine working for my work email and looks good so far. Just a couple of issues/questions for the experts here. Each time i go into the App, it requires a pass code. I don't need this level of security on this app alone, but I can't figure out how to disable this. When I go into security settings, the pass code option is checked and grayed out so it wont let me untik the box. Any suggestions? (NOTE: I HAVE NOW DETERMINED THIS IS A SYSTEM SETTING BY MY IT GUYS) .

Second question: so since I have Nine working now, do I need to disable the exchange account on Gmail app or just ignore it? I think so as I'm getting duplicate notifications, which is annoying. Not sure how to do this as when I try to delete through Manage Accounts it only gives me the option to turn off sync, not to delete account.

Any suggestions on the second issue would be much appreciated. Thx.

Disable in Gmail. Make sure Calendar and Contacts set to sync in Nine.

11-25-2014 10:40 AM
129 1234 ...