Lollipop killed stock "email" app!

andyhurley

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
For what it is worth I switched from a 3rd party email client (aquamail) to gmail when I got lollipop and was trying to get used to it's limited sync settings when I noticed huge battery drain from the gmail app. No idea why as I was syncing the same amount of email as before.

Anyway, long story short, as I never use my actual gmail account apart from for syncing calendar and contacts I disabled it and reinstalled aquamail (I use IMAP, not exchange). Since then my average battery life has increased by 6 hours plus. For some reason gmail was consuming more battery than the screen which is just wierd. Aqualmail is back down to 7th battery user again which is more normal. Google play services are still higher than the screen though which is odd.

nashspacerocket

Dec 8, 2014
Visit site
Gmail app is great if you only have gmail. I've got 4 accounts. Only 3 at a time ever show up in the sidebar, and the most basic option of a combined inbox is not even available. This is a step backward from the old default email app.

Benjamin_NYC

Banned
May 15, 2014
Visit site
I disagree. I loathe the GMail app, for the way it jams all messages in a thread into a single blob of text.

Prior to Lollipop I used GMail to get push email (for my gmail account), but I used Email to actually read the messages.

I can no longer do that on Lollipop (without trying multiple alternative clients).

The new Gmail app only uses horrendous Conversation mode for Gmail accounts.

Posted via Android Central App

Benjamin_NYC

Banned
May 15, 2014
Visit site
Gmail app is great if you only have gmail. I've got 4 accounts. Only 3 at a time ever show up in the sidebar, and the most basic option of a combined inbox is not even available. This is a step backward from the old default email app.

The new gmail app is horrible. Utterly horrible. On exchange, text wrap only works 50% of the time. Horrendous app.

Posted via Android Central App

Buddy1969

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Okay ... after having so many Problems with GMail and my MS Exchange Server Contacts (they were only partly synced, some never made it to my N5, others were there and vanished again and all that BS) I installed Nine and voilà ... the Exchange sync works nicely. All my contacts are there.

Gmail? Thanks, but no thanks Google. Do your homework first.

Benjamin_NYC

Banned
May 15, 2014
Visit site
Okay ... after having so many Problems with GMail and my MS Exchange Server Contacts (they were only partly synced, some never made it to my N5, others were there and vanished again and all that BS) I installed Nine and voilà ... the Exchange sync works nicely. All my contacts are there.

Gmail? Thanks, but no thanks Google. Do your homework first.

Yup. Can't say it enough. Nine! Nine! Nine! Nine! Nine! Nine! Nine! Nine! Nine! (See what I did there?)

Posted via the Android Central App

Buddy1969

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Given all the horn-blowing about Nine in this thread, I went out of my way to *not* try it when I went looking for an alternative :-D

PS I don't need Exchange support.

To each his own. I see your smiley btw ...
Nine is great for exchange services. I still have to figure out though, how to add Pop or Imap accounts. Nine wouldn't let me do that yet...

lschen

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
When I upgraded from KitKat to Lollipop, it retained Email app as a "separate app". It looks like it is using the same engine and UI, but the launch point and notifications are independent, which is what I want (and sounds like other want). But after a factory reset, I can't set up an account in the separate Email launch point.

I suspect the functionality is there, because it works if upgraded, so there is a chance that someone can create an app that is able to create the email/exchange account in a way that enables separate app. Anyone know Android accounts well enough to investigate?

Buddy1969

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Then I'm even more glad I didn't waste the time trying it.

Well how good for you.

There are a lot of things I didn't do either.
For example, I didn't make an effort of rightening up the bag of Rice that has toppled over in China...
Woot? You are not interested in what I didn't do? How comes?

:confused:

reeneebob

Banned
Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
Then I'm even more glad I didn't waste the time trying it.

Spiffy for you. You must not have a corporate account that you are required to have access to 24/7, something Google broke in lollipop. Some of us do and don't give a flying fig about pop/IMAP not being supported in an app that fixes Googles stupidity.

nashspacerocket

Dec 8, 2014
Visit site
The move to gmail is so far a disaster for me. I have 4 email accounts, 1 gmail, 2 yahoo, and 1 att.net.
There is no combined inbox. That wouldn't be so bad by itself if I could easily get to each account, but I can't.
My two yahoo accounts have the same icon and color so I can't tell them apart when selecting them.
But the worst bug is gmail will only show any 3 of the 4 accounts in the sidebar. If I have the yahoo and gmail accounts showing the att.net is hidden. If I slide out the left bar and pick it then slide it back, one of the other accounts disappears.
It is not just frustrating, it makes the app unusable.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
The move to gmail is so far a disaster for me. I have 4 email accounts, 1 gmail, 2 yahoo, and 1 att.net.
There is no combined inbox. That wouldn't be so bad by itself if I could easily get to each account, but I can't.
My two yahoo accounts have the same icon and color so I can't tell them apart when selecting them.
But the worst bug is gmail will only show any 3 of the 4 accounts in the sidebar. If I have the yahoo and gmail accounts showing the att.net is hidden. If I slide out the left bar and pick it then slide it back, one of the other accounts disappears.
It is not just frustrating, it makes the app unusable.
Time to try Nine email. :)