Do I need to replace proximity sensor?

A

AC Question

I have a nexus 5 ( marshmallow). I have (stupidly) dropped it twice and the screen is quite damaged. When I receive or make a call the screen goes black. I can't access the touchpad, speaker etc. Very annoying. I am replacing the screen now but the question I have is whether I also need to replace the proximity sensor.
Is it related to my issue? Or will replacing the screen fix everything? The person that is replacing the screen is charging an extra £10 for the sensor if he can do both together. He says if it turns out I need the sensor afterwards it will cost £40.

I have installed the Proximity Screen Off app but it makes no difference.

Thanks

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Use an app like CPU-Z to test the proximity sensor while not on a call. If it seems to be working ok, then it may be that the shattered glass overlying the sensor is making the sensor think something is right in front of it, in which case fixing the glass should be enough. But if you want to be safe, replacing the sensor is probably reasonable.

Sinchan Garai

Sep 11, 2016
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Use an app like CPU-Z to test the proximity sensor while not on a call. If it seems to be working ok, then it may be that the shattered glass overlying the sensor is making the sensor think something is right in front of it, in which case fixing the glass should be enough. But if you want to be safe, replacing the sensor is probably reasonable.

How much does it usually cost for proximity sensor replacement?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I'm afraid I don't have that information for you. You could call around to local cellphone repair shops and ask for a general figure.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana