My Galaxy Note 10+ doesn't have a proximity sensor...why?

Fulani Filot

Jul 11, 2015
Visit site
Hi guys, I recently got a new (or is it?) SM-N975U running Android-12. Apart from the S-Pen's remote features being inoperative and absent from the settings menu, the phone has never detected the presence of the S-Pen. I don't know why.

Other than that, I noticed that the phone does not have a proximity sensor onboard...why, I don't know. Any ideas what's going on...did I buy a fake SGN-10+ or what? Thanks for your anticipated responses.
d1f491c1232fedef3d2ac0781fbe66ea.jpg

93e6e5bf97db46bb6ddf191c786334aa.png

Last edited by a moderator:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Where did you buy your phone? Are you certain it's genuine? Knockoff Galaxy phones are common on sites like Wish and AliExpress.

Use an app like Device Info HW to check the specs and make sure they're correct for the phone.

FYI, I edited your screenshot to blur out the IMEI -- don't share that info publicly.

Fulani Filot

Jul 11, 2015
Visit site
Where did you buy your phone? Are you certain it's genuine? Knockoff Galaxy phones are common on sites like Wish and AliExpress.

Use an app like Device Info HW to check the specs and make sure they're correct for the phone.

FYI, I edited your screenshot to blur out the IMEI -- don't share that info publicly.
Thanks, that bit of caution escaped my mind.

Reactions: B. Diddy

Fulani Filot

Jul 11, 2015
Visit site

I've checked the specs of my phone and it failed on the proximity sensor test; either the proximity sensor is there (as the Device Info HW app indicated) and inoperative or it isn't their at all.

I guess it means my phone isn't brand new as I thought it is, just a used phone in pretty much pristine condition with the exception of the absent S-Pen Remote features and the inoperative proximity sensor. I bought the phone at a popular, legit local phone dealer (who is not an authorized Samsung outlet).

Thanks so much for your help.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
What CPU does Device Info HW report? That's often where you can tell if the device is genuine. A knockoff will almost always have a Mediatek processor.

Fulani Filot

Jul 11, 2015
Visit site
The CPU looks genuine. I did confirm not long ago that the anomalies raising my concern on the phone are due to the fact that the phone wasn't manufactured for my country. The phone is a brand new grey-import. If it were for my country, the code string in the section titled "Service Provider Software Version" would start with "ECT_" and not "SAOMC_"
As it is, this mystery has been solved and I no longer have to worry about why certain features in the phone are either inoperative or absent, but rather ensure that when I replace the phone, I buy one from an authorized Samsund dealer.

Thank you so much for your support, I'm really grateful.
53eb4366342a643c8ad9f291c2d64705.jpg
49e44225645799ef21c49d3480e5cdd7.jpg
b645333840f604a6bc3f4833e2f7814f.jpg

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
flynempire