Google Nexus 6 one plus one intrigues me

MarqBland

Oct 13, 2009
www.facebook.com
Re: one plus one intrigues me

I held my OPO against a blue N6 and I can honestly say not only does the OPO look better ( personal opinion ) but Noway is there $300 difference between these phones.

Another OPO user here (I'm getting the Nexus 6 as well). Just a bit of a FYI, OnePlus knows their company is not sustainable with pricing the phone at $300 and $350. They planned on not making any money off of their artificially low-priced phone so that they could build a following for the company. They didn't plan on being profitable until 2 years from now. Future phones will not be priced that low. Granted, I think their future phones will be lower than some of the high cost flagship phones, but they won't be the low prices like the OnePlus One.

Source: https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/how-will-oneplus-make-money.12343/

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

Another OPO user here (I'm getting the Nexus 6 as well). Just a bit of a FYI, OnePlus knows their company is not sustainable with pricing the phone at $300 and $350. They planned on not making any money off of their artificially low-priced phone so that they could build a following for the company. They didn't plan on being profitable until 2 years from now. Future phones will not be priced that low. Granted, I think their future phones will be lower than some of the high cost flagship phones, but they won't be the low prices like the OnePlus One.

Yup they are selling them at cost or just a hair over cost.... They need to be at about $500 - 550 each to be a long term viable company (If you figured each phone cost roughly $300 - 350 to build)........ It's not just the cost to build but the research and development cost that can eat you alive...

Their marketing plan isn't a bad one... Lose money for two years and sell devices on the super cheap.... Hopefully they take a slow spin on increasing their pricing.. like going to $399 - $449 next year and then get up around $500 in year 3..... If they make the leap like Google did from $349 to $649 the outrage will be crazy... except Google can afford to make a Billion dollar mistake..... actually they could make several billion dollar mistakes and still survive fairly comfortably...

MarqBland

Oct 13, 2009
www.facebook.com

Yup they are selling them at cost or just a hair over cost.... They need to be at about $500 - 550 each to be a long term viable company (If you figured each phone cost roughly $300 - 350 to build)........ It's not just the cost to build but the research and development cost that can eat you alive...

Their marketing plan isn't a bad one... Lose money for two years and sell devices on the super cheap.... Hopefully they take a slow spin on increasing their pricing.. like going to $399 - $449 next year and then get up around $500 in year 3..... If they make the leap like Google did from $349 to $649 the outrage will be crazy... except Google can afford to make a Billion dollar mistake..... actually they could make several billion dollar mistakes and still survive fairly comfortably...

It's an incredible plan if it works. The only way to combat the juggernauts is to attempt to do things in a very unconventional way. I'll definitely watch the company because if the first phone that was produced is this great, only better things can come in the future. I'll just keep my fingers crossed that ColorOS doesn't make its way across the pond.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

It's an incredible plan if it works. The only way to combat the juggernauts is to attempt to do things in a very unconventional way. I'll definitely watch the company because if the first phone that was produced is this great, only better things can come in the future. I'll just keep my fingers crossed that ColorOS doesn't make its way across the pond.

I was without a doubt highly intrigued... I would have easily given them $350+ and sat in line and waited for them to ship me one.... The invite system while understandable from their perspective was just a pain... By the time I could get my hands on an invite from someone else the G3 was out and the rumors on the Note 4 were out and then the Nexus 6 rumors started.... So I just decided to keep my money.... Amazing that I got my first direct invite this morning at 4:45 am..... Almost exactly 24 hours after I got a confirmation email from Motorola my Nexus 6 had shipped and roughly 3 hours later my Nexus 6 was out for delivery....

I use to be rooted on my EVO and Galaxy S3 and I used Cyanogenmod a lot or ROM's built off that so that added to the intrigue... Even this morning before giving my invite away to someone in the Oneplus forum on here I seriously still debated just buying it and worse case losing $50 to sell it later just to play around with..... Even Samsung is struggling to make a big profit with Android.. You have to stand out and right now it looks like Motorola is trying to take that market position and stand out the most.. Between the X, G, E and 6 they are starting to put out some hits...

Oneplus is standing out with near top of the line specs with rock bottom pricing... I don't think they can truly survive with those specs and the margin they will need to achieve and maintain going forward... but we will see... all they need to do is get a good foot hold in China and India and they could be players.. Volume is the way to profits in Android... iOS makes money on a small minority but premium pricing and margins.... (Apple actually likes this.. they have no desire to be the top most used OS out there regardless of their public boasting... and personally their way is the best position to be in.)

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site

I forgot to mention the best part for me about the OPO, CyanogenMod 11s. I will eventually put Cyanogenmod on my Nexus 6 when it's ready (Android 5.0 adopted).

angry english

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site

Yeah i agree with that and the 2nd version will have to be higher in price but going off the OPO vs N6 i still say the OPO is the way to go... i think lol