01-23-2019 07:25 AM
100 123 ...
tools
    yes, its me again: the friendly neighborhood pain in the [language] lol. Since 5.0.1 my phone has been rebooting randomly, numerous times throughout the day. I just downloaded 5.1 (hoping that it would fix the issue) and it still reboots but now every so often after it reboots, it will say "Android is Starting... Optimizing app # of #. Any ideas or am i just SOL
    03-15-2015 02:55 PM
    Did you flash this yourself or take the OTA when it was offered? I think the first thing I would do is a factory reset. You will loose your data and apps, so be sure to backup. It this doesn't solve the problem I would flash the ROM myself and then do a factory reset immediately after.

Posted via Android Central App
    03-15-2015 03:11 PM
    I'm sure we can find a way to restore your phone, but have you ever installed Android SDK development, so that you have access to ADB and Fastboot, or are you just using the Toolkit?
    03-15-2015 03:16 PM
    i flashed through WugFresh. I am not looking forward to a factory reset but if that would cure it then i would do it. Note: when i had 5.0.1 i factory reset once also and still had the problem. It seems to be prevalent even in 5.1 hence this forum: https://productforums.google.com/for...-6/9aVUBrwdUZU
    could it be a hardware issue?
    03-15-2015 03:18 PM
    How frequent does this reboot? You may want to try to Boot into safe mode and run your phone in safe mode for a couple of days. If it run in safe mode without rebooting then it is more that likely some app you have installed.

Posted via Android Central App
    03-15-2015 03:27 PM
    I doubt it would be a hardware issue if you haven't had hardware issues previously.
    Are you running a Windows or Mac computer?
    Also, if your phone is turned off and you press the power and volume down buttons at the same time, does it put your phone in Bootloader mode?
    03-15-2015 03:28 PM
    I doubt it would be a hardware issue if you haven't had hardware issues previously.
    Are you running a Windows or Mac computer?
    Also, if your phone is turned off and you press the power and volume down buttons at the same time, does it put your phone in Bootloader mode?
    Well, regarding hardware issues, the back is coming unstuck by the volume rocker (not as large as some but definitely still there). I am on WIndows, and I can boot into bootloader/recovery just fine
    Khalid Humaid likes this.
    03-15-2015 03:33 PM
    Following up on what DLK1 said, I had the same issue and it turned out to be an app for me (specifically SetCPU).

Not long after I installed it after doing a factory reset, my phone started to randomly reboot. As soon as I uninstalled it, it stopped and hasn't done it since. It took a while to narrow it down.

Not saying it's what's causing your reboots but l would also try looking into your apps after being in safe mode.

Posted via the Android Central App
    03-15-2015 03:45 PM
    Following up on what DLK1 said, I had the same issue and it turned out to be an app for me (specifically SetCPU).

Not long after I installed it after doing a factory reset, my phone started to randomly reboot. As soon as I uninstalled it, it stopped and hasn't done it since. It took a while to narrow it down.

Not saying it's what's causing your reboots but l would also try looking into your apps after being in safe mode.

I wish i had your good fortune lol I booted into safe mode and almost immediately had it reboot on me
    03-15-2015 03:52 PM
    Bold1193,

I'm sorry about the issues with the back coming unstuck. I just sent you a PM.
    03-15-2015 04:03 PM
    I wish i had your good fortune lol I booted into safe mode and almost immediately had it reboot on me
    Just curious but did it happen when you had just 5.0?

03-15-2015 04:05 PM
    Just curious but did it happen when you had just 5.0?

i cannot remember if i even had 5.0..I think my phone might have come with 5.0.1
    03-15-2015 04:09 PM
    i cannot remember if i even had 5.0..I think my phone might have come with 5.0.1
    So you did a factory reset, with no apps installed (except system apps) and in safe mode and it still rebooted?

03-15-2015 04:23 PM
    So you did a factory reset, with no apps installed (except system apps) and in safe mode and it still rebooted?

no, i have not done a factory reset yet. I did boot into safe mode and was just chatting in hangouts for maybe a minute when it rebooted on me
    03-15-2015 04:33 PM
    no, i have not done a factory reset yet. I did boot into safe mode and was just chatting in hangouts for maybe a minute when it rebooted on me
    I would do a factory reset and boot into safe mode. If it's okay there then go back to normal mode and add apps back a few at a time. It may be an app that hasn't been updated in a while (before Lollipop) like the one that caused my reboots.

03-15-2015 04:47 PM
    I really don't want to factory reset so I will go through all of my apps and eliminate the oldest first. Hopefully that will do something. If not then I will have to factory reset.
    03-15-2015 05:41 PM
    How long have you had your phone? When did it first start with the random reboots? Did it start shortly after you got the phone or some time later?
    03-15-2015 06:28 PM
    I got my phone in the first few days of January. I do not believe it started rebooting then. I do have the back coming undone a tiny bit but who knows if there is a correlation between the two
    03-15-2015 08:11 PM
    That many reboots is troubling. But the factory reset would be the most telling thing. If you reset the phone and still get reboots, you have one more option... a full factory image reset. This pretty much completely overwrites everything on the phone and gets it back to the exact factory state where a 'factory reset' via the phone pretty much just clears your user data stuff... if there is something in system that is messing you up, that won't clear it.

So I would suggest you do a full factory reset using the Wugfresh. Yeah, I know, it sucks... but there is something busted in there and hopefully it is just software. If you reload the factory image and still get reboots, chances are that there is something wrong with the hardware on the phone... something broken in the storage, bad RAM chip, faulty CPU, etc.
    03-16-2015 02:37 PM
    That many reboots is troubling. But the factory reset would be the most telling thing. If you reset the phone and still get reboots, you have one more option... a full factory image reset. This pretty much completely overwrites everything on the phone and gets it back to the exact factory state where a 'factory reset' via the phone pretty much just clears your user data stuff... if there is something in system that is messing you up, that won't clear it.

So I would suggest you do a full factory reset using the Wugfresh. Yeah, I know, it sucks... but there is something busted in there and hopefully it is just software. If you reload the factory image and still get reboots, chances are that there is something wrong with the hardware on the phone... something broken in the storage, bad RAM chip, faulty CPU, etc.
    I just sent my phone back to Motorola tonight; back to the ole gnex. Hopefully it was a hardware issue and my new one won't have any problems
    03-16-2015 10:04 PM
    Well.. if you are seeing that optimizing apps window, it means that it is rebuilding your ART cache... combined with the constant reboots, it could have very well been a problem with the memory on the phone.
    03-17-2015 08:56 AM
    Well.. if you are seeing that optimizing apps window, it means that it is rebuilding your ART cache... combined with the constant reboots, it could have very well been a problem with the memory on the phone.
    The optimizing apps only started when I sideloaded 5.1 but hopefully the whole situation was a hardware problemand my new one willbe perfect :-)
    03-17-2015 09:00 AM
    Had similar issue on 5.0 on Samsung Galaxy S5, gladly factory reset was not nesesery - cache wipe solved the issue
    03-17-2015 04:27 PM
    I am having the same issues as bold1193. My phone is a little more than a year old, Google Nexus 5 purchased directly from Google. I just upgraded to Lollipop 5.1 through T-Mobile. I have times when it doesn't recognize that Google Play is installed or other programs native to the phone, are not installed. When it optimizes, it has to go through 189 apps, which takes about 10 minutes each time, draining the battery.

Any feedback or thoughts would be appreciated, thanks!
    03-31-2015 01:56 PM
    I'm having the same exact problem as the poster above me. Nexus 5 recently updated to 5.1, the phone reboots. Usually it optimizes all 140 apps, sometimes only approx. 50, sometimes less. This is usualy in a loop, but sometimes it boots succesfully. Additionally I am having problems with the wifi, which sometimes drops and refuses to connect. This is correlated with the reboots. I've tried factory reset and wipeing the cache, I'm now trying the WugFresh complete factory reset.

I'll update you if I have info, but I have a hunch this is hardware.

Tried everything, still the same problem. I'm assuming its hardware, so I'll probably return the device.
    04-04-2015 02:29 PM
100 123 ...