Do you install custom ROMs on your Nexus 6?

WP7Nettwerk

May 21, 2015
Visit site
Do you install custom ROMs on your Nexus 6? If yes, why you install and what ROM do you have installed? I'd like to try but I dunno where to start.

shamelin73

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
I used to be a flash alcoholic but with the last 3 phones the Moto X 2013 / 2014 and now the Nexus 6 they run so smooth without flashing something else I have divided to stay stock for now.

Debian Dog

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Stock is so boring. I have flashed 6 or 7 various ones but Benzo is the one I keep coming back to. I love any ROM with themes because white backgrounds hurt my eyes.

Sent from my Nexus 6

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
I fail to see the point unless you just want to play around. Vanilla Android is hard to top. You have to ask yourself what a custom ROM offers that you really need or want. Likely if you're honest with yourself the answer is not much except the chance to fool around.

Android since v1.0. Linux user since 2001.

Debian Dog

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
I guess if you call fooling around wanting any one of the following features. And being able to load all these options in 5 minutes:

Navigation Bar Mods
Expanded Desktop
Custom Quick Settings
Clear Recents Options
Floating Clear Recents
Custom DPI that doesn't affect Play Store
Disable Google Search in Recents
Heads Up Options
SuperSU options in Settings
Statusbar Clock Options
Un-encrypted
Disabled Tether Checking
DPI Changer
OTG Support
Power Menu Customization
Screen Recorder
Omni's Ambient Display
Extra Quick Settings Tiles
Weather Settings in status bar
DPI Backup
Navring Targets
Ad-Blocker
Wakelock Blocker
Ok Google Everywhere
PIE Controls (LMT)
Viper4Android audio optimization
Clear All Recents Button Position
More Statusbar Options
Lockscreen Weather Options
App Circle Bar
App Bar
CM Pattern Lockscreen
Lockscreen Gestures
Headsup Background and Text Color
Wake Gestures
Call Recording

Sent from my Nexus 6 and a UNIX user since 1991

VW Maverick

Retired Ambassador
Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Currently running CyanogenMod 12.1 on mine. The customization is spectacular.

Mav. :cool:

Sent from the future on my Sprint Nexus 6.

NewAge

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I have on every phone EXCEPT this one. I am unlocked and rooted and plan on flashing updates as they come on XDA. I'm still on 5.1 and am waiting for 5.1.1 to be released from Google for AT&T then I'll flash that because I'm kinda sure AT&T won't push it for awhile. Some on Sprint and T-Mobile are reporting the carriers aren't blocking and I don't know what AT&T will do but I'm sure I'll flash something eventually.

Ed Briggs

May 14, 2013
Visit site
Nexus 6 - XDA Forums is the ultimate place to get started. It may seem daunting at first, but be patient.

I like the Candy rom. Has double tap to wake (DT2W), double tap to sleep, clear all recents button, custom home buttons, led notifications, and a ton of other things.

Here are all of the guides: Nexus 6 General Sticky Roll-Up Thread | Nexus 6 | XDA Forums

and here are the roms: Nexus 6 Android Development - XDA Forums

Just remember that the folks over at xda have very little patience for ultra noob questions. Do your homework and try everything before asking any questions. The guides are VERY thorough and to the point. It's the premiere website in the world for rom development. Treat it as such.

Ed Briggs

May 14, 2013
Visit site
I fail to see the point unless you just want to play around. Vanilla Android is hard to top. You have to ask yourself what a custom ROM offers that you really need or want. Likely if you're honest with yourself the answer is not much except the chance to fool around.

There's more to it than just "fooling around". The devs make actual useful changes that some people find handy. And part of the reason people like the nexus line is that it is well supported as far as roms go. You can have a rom that looks just like vanilla android, but have behind the scenes functionality that stock android doesn't have. If you don't want to install a rom, that's OK. But don't put it down if it's not your thing. Millions of people use and enjoy roms, and that's part of the beauty of android.

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
Sorry, I didn't mean it as a put-down, I just stated what I wanted to say poorly. What I meant was that vanilla Android has gotten so good that instead of putting time and effort into installing custom ROMs, I'd rather do a bit of tweaking vanilla to suit and go. IOW, vanilla is good enough, and any added functionality offered by custom ROMs simply isn't worth the effort anymore - to me.

It's not like years ago. Back then custom ROMs had more to offer that vanilla lacked and it was worth the my time to flash the latest and greatest and put up with the bugs. Now, I just don't see where there's enough advantages and I only flash a ROM now and then on a spare device for grins. My must-work daily driver doesn't get messed with.

But to those who still have flash fever, more power to ya! Android is all about choice, that's the great thing about it.

Ed Briggs

May 14, 2013
Visit site
Back then custom ROMs had more to offer that vanilla lacked and it was worth the my time to flash the latest and greatest and put up with the bugs. Now, I just don't see where there's enough advantages
You're entitled to your opinion. But there are actually A LOT of things roms offer that plain android doesn't have. You probably haven't researched it lately. And if you stay with anything Cyanogenmod based, it's pretty much bug free.

As far as time, once custom recovery is set up, and bootloader unlocked, it only takes about an hour to set up a new rom to where I have all my apps and settings the way I want them. Not too much work every month or so. People waste a lot more time watching tv and other trivial things, so taking a little time to set up an important device is nothing. It's not like I'm constantly tweaking it or fixing it. After that initial hour, I'm good to go for weeks until something else catches my eye.

On top of that, there are flashable stock zip files, that can be installed. I'm on 100% stock 5.1.1 right now. All I have to do is make a backup, (2 min.) and can be back to stock in 3 min when and if I don't like a new rom. Very little time is actually involved.

WP7Nettwerk

May 21, 2015
Visit site
Yeah but how secure is your device after flashed Custom ROM? If someone stole my device he can flash to anything and than isn't chance to get your device back. I like what apple did with idevices.

Last edited:

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
I really haven't kept up with the ROM situation much the last 2-3 years, I admit it. I've got a retired Nexus 4 I piddle with a little, but that's about it. I quit modifying my main devices long ago because of reliability and security concerns.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I haven't unlocked or flashed anything yet on my N6 .I was during that on all my phones until got moto x 2013.There use to be more reasons I rooted and flashed roms then they are now.
But that's not to say I wont eventually.
It's just not a priority with the phones I am currently using now :)

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
I haven't unlocked or flashed anything yet on my N6 .I was during that on all my phones until got moto x 2013.There use to be more reasons I rooted and flashed roms then they are now.
But that's not to say I wont eventually.
It's just not a priority with the phones I am currently using now :)
Same here. The moto x 2013 broke my flashing addiction. Haven't flashed a ROM since.

MoneyMike84

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
I used to be a flash alcoholic but with the last 3 phones the Moto X 2013 / 2014 and now the Nexus 6 they run so smooth without flashing something else I have divided to stay stock for now.
I agree with this. I used to flash everything a few years ago. Stock android is getting so polished that I just don't really have the want to flash Roms anymore. One day I might get bored and start flashing again though.

WP7Nettwerk

May 21, 2015
Visit site
So I'll stay with stock ROM. As you saying most of you no flashing ROMs since you switched to Motorola phone. Motorola doing good job not mess up with Android, like Samsung, LG and others does.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
So I'll stay with stock ROM. As you saying most of you no flashing ROMs since you switched to Motorola phone. Motorola doing good job not mess up with Android, like Samsung, LG and others does.

For example ,when I first started using android the operating system was eclair .
It wasn't even possible to take a screen shot of your phone's screen ,as it is today back then.
App Brain(app) was better then the play store
Android itself has evolved a lot since then.
Some of the reasons I rooted was to freeze that carrier bloatware and hopefully improve phone smoothness would flash a custom Rom. There was no disable feature to use on carrier bloat back then either.So when you flashed a custom Rom(s) it would also not have carrier bloatware.
Also back then one of my favorite apps that was on the play store was blocked by vzw,unless rooted could not install.
Pre Moto X I had rooted and custom Romed every android phone I had some on the first day , some after a few months.

Fast forward to Moto X (2013) and it was a close to vanilla android,which for me I prefer,everyone doesn't. Also had a locked boot loader (vzw model) so I just disabled the few bloat apps it had.The same with Moto X 2014.The app I used from the play store was no longer blocked either.(Google wallet)

The vzw Nexus doesnt have any carrier bloatware .I use the My vzw app
There are no blocked apps anymore.As far as I know or use.

Some people like a lot of the pre installed bells and whistles that come of various android phones that's fine everyone has their own preference. Its just for me I prefer a more vanilla type phone and install what bells and whistles I like from play store.

All that being said unlocking rooting, flashing a custom Rom just isnt as urgent for me as it use to be.
I'm not saying,,, I wont ever unlock,root or flash a Rom my on N6 just not in a hurry as much to :)

Last edited: